Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the big secret about Sportster seats? (Read 274 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
What's the big secret about Sportster seats?
04/23/08 at 20:35:19

Flightsimshop on ebay is selling instructions on how to put a Sportster seat on a Savage.  I'm fine with that if he put the effort into making good instructions.  I have a question about what he is saying in the auction though  He says:

Quote:
I will show you WHICH Sportster seat is the correct one as MOST will not fit. Only certain years and specific model will work.

I was under the impression any full length seat from a 2004+ would work.   Is this not the case?  What Sportster seats will fit the Savage with minimal rework?

IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Re: What's the big secret about Sportster seats?
Reply #1 - 04/23/08 at 21:15:34

As far as I know, you are correct about the years.  However, don't bother buying a set of instructions on ebay when you can get better info here in the tech section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1161011205

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/24/08 at 09:11:02

Remember he's trying to make a buck off of you.
It's in his best interest to make it look hard.
It's either very easy to find the right seat or I'm dam lucky.
Take a look at the seats in the tech thread, even look at the seats in his pic's, look at the seats in the savage CD.  Then go find one that looks like it.  Really not hard at all.  There may be better fitting models, I don't know.  Mine even has a recess where the rectifier goes, just had to enlarge it a little.
If you're really concerned, go down to the harley stealership.  Tell 'em you got a 2004 sportster and you want to put a new seat on it.  What do you have for it.  Take pictures, especially of the under side.  Post 'em and well tell you which ones are good.   Grin

Got mine for $35 fleabay

WWW   IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #3 - 04/28/08 at 13:00:24

FWIW, the Sporty guys I know all bought aftermarket seats for comfort.  The stock sporty seat may be an improvement over the stock savage seat, but it doesn't seem to be well received for long distance comfort in it's native habitat.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/28/08 at 13:31:24

I'ves sat on sportster seat it didn't feel as good to me as the boulevard's s40 seat .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - 04/28/08 at 13:41:37

bill67 wrote on 04/28/08 at 13:31:24:
   I'ves sat on sportster seat it didn't feel as good to me as the boulevard's s40 seat .

How do you feel the S40 seat compares to the Savage seat?  I know there is a little difference in them.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/28/08 at 13:48:13

I never rode a savage  except when they first came out I don't remember .When I bought my s40 which I planed on a year before I bought I tried  harley and honda 750 . the honda seat was really bad too the hd was very hard. The problem is not the seat but the shocks,that on the single s40 seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #7 - 04/28/08 at 13:53:40

bill67 wrote on 04/28/08 at 13:48:13:
 The problem is not the seat but the shocks,that on the single s40 seat.

New shocks on are on the way.  I ordered the Progressive 4233's today.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/28/08 at 13:57:17

You will be happy thats the ones I got. You will feel about 1/2 as much jolt as you feel now.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 04/29/08 at 19:03:24

Keith_T wrote on 04/28/08 at 13:41:37:
bill67 wrote on 04/28/08 at 13:31:24:

How do you feel the S40 seat compares to the Savage seat?  I know there is a little difference in them.

Switched my '01 seat for a '06 one piece.  For my bike, the big difference was a softer passenger seat.  My 13 y.o. son is happy.   The front seat is possibly a little firmer.    I didn't have a problem with the front seat.  Maybe the iron butt from being a ground pounder....   Now, as for the back, it was almost a rock..... according to my son.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #10 - 04/29/08 at 20:44:38

I too sat on a Sportster at the HD shop and did not like it.  I'd say it's about the same comfort as the S40 ... maybe a little wider but still not any more comfortable.  I've been looking into different seats, but I'm not really considering Sportster seats.

I might try upgrading my shocks to those Progressive 4233's like bill67 was talking about.  Maybe that's all it is.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's the big secret about Sportster seats?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.