Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drive belt replacement $350 or..... (Read 525 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Drive belt replacement $350 or.....
Reply #15 - 04/23/08 at 22:41:02

First thing I suggest is that you don't, I repeat, do not trust the notches on the rear do-hicky for adjusting your belt. They are at best an approximation of accurate. Instead, raise the back wheel off the ground, spin the wheel by hand (in neutral of course) and then set the adjusters while watching the belt. At first move the nut quite a bit just to see how the wheel adjustment moves the belt back and forth on the rear gear. Then once you see how things work back there do the fine adjustment thing to get the belt running in the center of the gear.

Also you want to make sure the belt guard doesn't start to rub against the belt. First time I adjusted mine after replacing the rear tire I did it with the guard off. When I put the guard back on after everything was perfect I had a whole new set of noises to deal with. Fortunately, as has been mention elsewhere on here, a pry bar/tire iron is a most excellent belt guard adjusting tool.

Oh, by the way, the bike sat all winter here in southern MN, outside on a trailer with two bike covers on it. After a couple hours on the battery charger and the fuel valve set to reserve it started right up. No smoke, no arguing, no sputtering. Gotta love it when a plan, no matter how lame, comes together. Of course it's supposed to rain here and drop back into the forties again for a week or so. Just my luck.

Jack

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #16 - 04/24/08 at 00:18:08

Don`t get that belt too tight, most folks over tighten it. I use good ol' WD 40 for squeaks, I spray the belt and the pulleys. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then ride it. No squeaks, works for me..

B

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #17 - 04/24/08 at 00:35:23

Hell, Billy wrote on 04/24/08 at 00:18:08:
Don`t get that belt too tight, most folks over tighten it. I use good ol' WD 40 for squeaks, I spray the belt and the pulleys. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then ride it. No squeaks, works for me..

B

Agree with the "most people overtighten" thing. Dealerships all seem to as well.

I'd suggest just slackening the belt a little bit and see if it helps with the squeaking. At least you'll know if tension is the cause of the noise and it's easy to do.

Re using wd-40, I've been tempted to spray mine but haven't yet - I worry that the oil will attract grit/dirt.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #18 - 04/24/08 at 03:44:31

Where would we all be without WD40?  I've found that it's pretty good at fixing annoying squeals on car fan belts as well when for some reason a correctly tensioned belt keeps on making noise, but it can attract dirt.  
Better to use a silicon spray which has the same effect but seems cleaner and is not harmful to rubber based items.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #19 - 04/24/08 at 04:04:16

Hey thanks for all of the responses, very helpful indeed. Yeah, I actually do like the feeling of doing my own repairs. I will take heed and start with loosening the belt a touch and use some silicone lube and see how that goes. I'll probably order the belt as well.

If any of you find yourselves around the Jersey shore area, give me a shout. One thing I do know how to do well is make slammin pictures, and if you're ever around my area I'll be happy to photograph any of the forum members with their bikes.

Thanks again. A very generous bunch here.

FSO
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 04/24/08 at 06:26:41

photojoe FSO wrote on 04/24/08 at 04:04:16:
Yeah, I actually do like the feeling of doing my own repairs.

That is one of the best things about these bikes - a few areas are pretty tough for a DIY - like the bottom end/transmission but these seldom cause any issues - generally you can do most everything that needs done - and likely as well as if not better than most dealers because you care about what your doing - the best example is the oil leak out of the head plug - the dealers cause or at least do not prevent most of these at the first service, then they diagnose it as a head gasket leak and charge a wheel barrel full of money to fix it.

Your better off staying away from those folks.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 05/14/08 at 21:39:15

My belt squeek went away when I discovered a product called "Metal Protector" (kinda like a spray on wax) the carrier evaportes and leaves behing a smoth finish on the belt.  I found it at the Honda shop in Nashville Tn., that was 2 years ago and I'm still on the first can.  My bike has 27683 miles and still on the same belt.  I did put a new bearning under the rear pulley once.  Check if the pulley wiggles independly of the rear wheel.  Save your belt money for gas and ride a lot.
Be safe

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #22 - 05/14/08 at 23:30:56

I use a belt dressing brand name "Gunk" it works for me.
If you still have a noisy belt try ear plugs.
In other words don't worry about,it's a motor cycle,you want quiet get yourself a rolls royce.
And if you decide to get a new belt ,do it yourself,a very easy job,with a little tuition I think even the president could do it,on second thoughts
probably not,but you could.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:22:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt replacement $350 or.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.