Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drive belt replacement $350 or..... (Read 525 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Drive belt replacement $350 or.....
04/23/08 at 10:50:48

Sorry to bring up this tired topic up again. I've done a ton of research regarding the drive Belt squeak/chirp/squeal and have tried everything I found on this site and others.

I'm riding an 1987 Savage with 15,000 miles on it and the chirping is starting to drive me insane. Seems to make the most noise while cruising at slow speeds. Probably can't hear it when riding faster due to the noise of the Trapp. The belt is starting to show very "slight" signs of wear on the inside so I thought that maybe I need to realign the rear wheel. The marks seem to be even, so I tried the twist method and got good results. The pulley teeth looked fine also, although there is some oxidation on the pulley nuts/bolts when you look inside of the tranny cover. I would really like to squirt some lube in there, but am concerned about it spreading to the pulley teeth.

I decided to stop at a couple of local shops today to get a diagnosis.
One shop is well respected in the riding community so I stopped there first. They said "it's the original belt and needs to be replaced. It should run about $300-350, do you want us to order the belt?" Ok, I could deal with that but don't order it just yet. Since the bike is 21 years old, they may have a valid point.

Rode over to shop #2. They took a look, and confirmed that the alignment is spot on. They looked at the belt, checked the tension which they said was fine, and thought that it would run for many more miles, "with" the squeak of course. They suggested buying some belt dressing from an auto parts store since they didn't have any on the shelf. They didn't seem to think that I needed a new belt, which was a relief.

My two previous bikes (both old Iron Head Sportsters) were chain driven so the belt drive is new to me. Seems like there are so many do's and don'ts. Do use dry lube, don't use "any" lube. Use soap, use belt dressing, don't use anything, etc.

I could probably buy the belt and do it myself with the Clymer, a bit of sweat and a few choice words. I would be doing it on the street outside of my third floor apartment. My neighbors hate me anyway due to the oil changes, noise from the Trapp and the oil spots from my old Audi which are now a permanent part of the street.

Any suggestions on belt dressing, or anything else that may help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FSO
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Drive belt replacement $350 or.....
Reply #1 - 04/23/08 at 14:52:13

At $300 for a new belt I'd do a quick conversion to chain -- which would allow me to adjust the final drive ratio for a little more low end grunt or less rpm at highway spped, depending on if Im blasting the streets or on tour.

But it shouldn't squeek, so it is fixable once you figure out what where and why it is squeeking.

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 04/23/08 at 15:31:48

Ron Ayers lists this belt at $146
It's listed under transmission
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 04/23/08 at 16:38:11

Thank you both for the replies. I should have clarified that the quote that I got was for the belt and the install. I went to the ronayers site and found the belt, thanks for the link. But I have to agree with the "why" it's actually squeaking before doing the install. Wouldn't make sense to do a replacement without finding the cause only for it to happen again. I'll pull the tranny cover and belt guard off tomorrow and take a look at the pulley. Something isn't right in there.
Thanks again.

FSO
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 04/23/08 at 16:50:45

That belt should go a looootttt longer unless it very old and showing signs of cracks in the rubber like old tires do. Then the rubber has hardened and probably needs replacement Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/23/08 at 16:52:37

I would also pull the rear wheel while you're at it.

The bearing in the pulley hub may be loose or worn out.

Or you may find that the rubber dampers are heavily worn.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 04/23/08 at 16:59:13

One thing it's not is "dry." If anything, it's probably a bit too wet. Probably from the plug cap leak that spits oil where it wants every other day. You know, covers, exhaust etc. Did notice some oil on the belt guard yesterday. Have the cap on order as well. Only the inside of the belt has a little bit of wear.

FSO
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/23/08 at 17:10:45

i use belt dressing..here in western colorado wild temp swings and humidity(or lack ther of) my 06 s belt was givin me fits..did the 90 deg tension.did the plunger tension(comes in toy kit with bike)all to no avail..last sat i rode UP out of our valley (4500') to about 6000 feet
the changes... temp? humidity?(2 ear pops worth) were e nuff to get the belt squellin again..carry the lube in my saddle bags..when it comes time am goin to chain convert..less hassel will buy BEST chain i can find AND lower hgwy crusin rpms...jmo

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 04/23/08 at 17:19:46

I hear ya. I'm 8 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, not the best environment for anything with moving parts. Add to that the sand.....
What kind of dressing do you use? I've read good things about Krylon 12293 Ace Silicone Lubricant Spray on the Harley Forums.

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 04/23/08 at 17:28:41

I can't help a bit with the belt issue, but as to that last problem you mentioned:

If the neighbors complain about having to watch you work on your bike in the street, just ride it up the three flights of stairs and work on it in your apartment.  Make sure to test the trottle response a few times while it's in there.  I'll bet you'd never have trouble with them again.   Shocked

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 04/23/08 at 17:34:39

I like that idea!

FSO
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 04/23/08 at 19:01:39

dang for three fiddy that better come with a kiss

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/23/08 at 19:26:01

Reelthing wrote on 04/23/08 at 19:01:39:
dang for three fiddy that better come with a kiss
AND a reach 'round!! Wink

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 04/23/08 at 19:48:08

When I got my Savage 2 years ago, the belt had a notch in it from a rock, and squeaked like heck. After running around to dealers getting quotes from $275 to over $500, I got a new belt from BikeBandit and a Clymer's and haven't looked back since.  You know you wanna wrench it.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 04/23/08 at 20:34:11

[quote author=6F525A4858627E555859595C4F3D0 link=1208973048/0#13 date=1209005288  You know you wanna wrench it.  Cheesy [/quote]kinda..
got a sound sysem for xmas and B day last dec...hooked it up to a fused switched hot via headlight relay at the front forks( it was cold and i was lazy)didnt look forward to pullin the seat (pass back reat and bag on rack(long multi attached tool to get to hex head nut for rear bolt[06 1 piece seat])saddle bags in way of getting to side seat  boltsn then pullin the tank...well got tired of not bein able to stop and listen to some tunes stopped w/o key bein on...
(got a new battery yesterday  $72 @ batteries plus had left key on too many times 2 years on oem) SO yesterday pm tore into er 3 hours later got a new switched fused wire up to the amp mounted between the fly screen mounts...point is "you gotta want to wrench" Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt replacement $350 or.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.