Brighter lights (Read 795 times)
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Re: Brighter lights
Reply #15 - 05/18/08 at 13:54:57

Replaced both the  H4 head light with the Sylvania Super light cost $9.24 tax incl at Advanced Auto Parts.  Auto Zone did not have them, but Advanced Auto Parts is next door.  They did not have it in their store, but told me to come back in three hours and they would get if from another store.  

Also replaced the brake light and know I am much more visible now.  Still will ride as if I am invisible however.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 05/18/08 at 20:08:47

Is there a "right" way to install the bulb, meaning an up or down orientation? I see there is a cupped metal piece on one side of the top element. I took the old bulb out but didn't bother to see how it was installed. After I put the H4 in, the glow of the headlight looks to be only on the top of the lens as I stand in front of it. The farther I back up, the more the whole lens fills up with the glow.

Is this right? Man what a dumb question but I have to ask. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #17 - 05/19/08 at 02:40:43

Rather than taking the headlight apart again, shine it on a wall. When you switch from low beam to high, the bright spot should move up the wall if you have it in correctly. If it moves down, you have a problem.  Grin

Besides, you'll probably want to check the alignment anyway.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 05/19/08 at 03:00:29

H-4 bulb has tabs that engage the sheet metal of the holder -- you can't put it in wrong as the tabs are different spacings/widths and can only go in the one way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #19 - 05/21/08 at 16:51:13

I put an H4 in, but I haven't had a chance to ride yet.  I noticed that the low beam seems "flat" on top when shone on the garage.  I think the bulb is painted to create a masking effect.  I probably have the alignment wrong too.  I noticed that the headlight shell was cracked when I did the replacement  Smiley.  I fixed it with epoxy putty for now.  That's another part I did not realize was plastic.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #20 - 06/14/08 at 05:12:36

Just a quick question... I picked up a 2397 bulb for the rear light but wanted to ask if anyone has run this upgrade for a period of time. It seems logical that if it emits more light, it will also generate more heat. In other words, will it melt the tail light lens? I believe someone also mentioned a tail light modulator... does this bulb work with it ok?
Thanks!

IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/14/08 at 06:16:45

PhotoProf wrote on 06/14/08 at 05:12:36:
Just a quick question... I picked up a 2397 bulb for the rear light but wanted to ask if anyone has run this upgrade for a period of time. It seems logical that if it emits more light, it will also generate more heat. In other words, will it melt the tail light lens? I believe someone also mentioned a tail light modulator... does this bulb work with it ok?
Thanks!

I also installed the 2397 brighter bulb for my tail/brake light when I put in the brighter headlight bulb.  As the lights are on whenever the bike is running, there appears to be no heat problem with either bulb and heat is a problem here in Texas.  I guess this could be considered a very strigent test for this problem and both bulbs passed brilliantly Wink

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #22 - 06/14/08 at 11:01:29

Great Pun!

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #23 - 06/26/08 at 06:16:24

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 06/26/08 at 11:55:01

Becarefull,
1) HID lights for our bike aren't factory issue and can be illegle
2) The light pattern shown is for a HID light
3) These are Halogen lights with a zennon mix and a blue filter to get white light.
4) How can lights of the same wattage with a filter be brighter than regular lights?
5) Make sure the lights are DOT approved for no hassle use.

WWW   IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #25 - 06/26/08 at 14:59:49

Thanks Verslagen.  For 10 bucks I thought it was worth testing at least. Not sure about DOT regs but will read up  on them.  I guess getting pulled over for lights that are too bright isn't the worst thing in the world but if illegal I will avoid it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 06/26/08 at 15:21:56

The other thing about these lights were that they didn't last too long, but that was with the earlier ones, don't know about the present crop.

I'd stick with the major brands, unless you've heard otherwise.

WWW   IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #27 - 06/26/08 at 18:12:24

Good to know. I rarely ride at night so I was just thinking they might be more visible for safety during the day.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #28 - 06/27/08 at 07:36:06

J Mac wrote on 05/17/08 at 19:20:08:
I got some replacement brake lights yesterday at Auto Zone made by a company called JamStrait. They're LED, and they replace a bunch of different numbers (including ours).  I put one in, and it seems pretty bright with even illumination.  I'm sure it will last a lot longer than a bulb.

Pep Boys has a LED stop/tail light replacement but is no where near as bright the 2397 or even the OEM bulb. The focus of the LED points right at the red lens and the chrome reflector inside the tail light doesn't get any light anymore.. Returned the LED one because on the package it bogusly claims to be twice as bright (or something) HA!!!  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brighter lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.