Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Brighter lights
04/22/08 at 12:44:09

This has probably been discussed before, but I wonder if there are any brighter head lights and tail lights available than the OEM units.

I've become addicted to the zenon lights in the last two cars I've had that regular headlights eem anemic now.  And in 105,000 miles, I'm still on the original bulbs.

Not being much a wrench bender, I'd need something that is basically a replacement, plug in replacement bulb.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Brighter lights
Reply #1 - 04/22/08 at 12:51:41

got a pair of zenon from jc whitney for free..i went the same as stock wattage(type h4 55/60 watt) ordered thru the auto section one had no low beam when installed so called them and they refunded(or was it a credit?)the whole cost..that was year and a half and 5000 miles ago..
great improvement over stock...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/22/08 at 13:40:29

You can get up to 90/135 watts,I have used them before.I put in my boulevards40 55/100 watts. Didn't know about the heat of more on dim with a small headlight. 50 watt in tail light

« Last Edit: 04/24/08 at 12:38:54 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 04/22/08 at 16:57:03

You can get a Sylvania Silver Star H4 lamp from any auto parts store, wally world or other retailer.  It is a big improvement over the stock lamp.

For the rear, get a 2397 dual filament bulb from the same store.  The 2397 is about 200 lumens brighter than the 1157 that (or B1120) that comes stock in the bike.  Makes a big difference in bright sun light.

Another handy gadget is a brake light modulator.  It flashes your brake bight progressively faster, until it goes on full time.  It gives drivers behind you a bit of warning (and wakes a few up as well "whats that flashing?")

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 04/22/08 at 20:23:12

Do you remember which Silver star it was that you got? I run them in both my car and truck and love them. Thanks for all the info so far!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 04/23/08 at 05:32:37

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 04/22/08 at 16:57:03:
You can get a Sylvania Silver Star H4 lamp

The entire parts identifier is H4 ST.  It will be with all of the other headlight bulbs, but has 'For Motorcycle Use Only' right on the package.

Just be sure to wear rubber gloves when doing the installation.  Oil from your skin can cause hot spots to develop on the glass and lead to premature bulb failure.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 04/24/08 at 12:10:29

Ok thanks! I ride a lot at night so that will be nice to have.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 04/28/08 at 08:26:00

I'm installing a set of HID lights into my Festiva today and the Silverstar bulb(s) that are in my headlights on the car now will be going into the S40...

I can't ride at night yet (PA permit says so), but it'll be a nice addition for when I can. Smiley

I thought about running an HID setup on the bike, but that would probably be overkill.... :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/13/08 at 21:32:38

what about for a '95? Is that a sealed unit or can I just get another bulb ? I intended to replace the light with an aftermarket which I put on my Reb before I sold it. $5 beats $80 any day.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 05:37:21

Its the same lamp with the same type of bulb.  1986 thru today.  No changes.

Remove the screws from the headlight ring and the lens falls right out.  Go to Otterzone or AdvancedOtterParts and get the silverStar bulb. I think its $17.00.

Big improvement.

Also, change the rear lamp as well.  Stock it is either an 1156 or 1157.  Find a 2397 bulb to replace it.  

I did some reading a few years ago about stop lamps.  Of everything that was tested (including the high-output LED's of 2004 vintage) the 2397 bulb was the brightest for a given voltage (something like 200 lumens brighter than stock).  That way it gives the cage thats riding your ass on the parkway more notice when you pull your brake...

Do you think we'll ever see the sun again, or has Pitt been teleported to jolly-ol' England?  This 60* and rain every day sucks......

IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/16/08 at 06:56:17

well bloke....i'd say we're sittin' on the bloody Thames about now.

IP Logged
Rkems
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

IL
Reply #11 - 05/16/08 at 08:59:59

Thanks to all esp. Skrapiron for the light info. I replaced my 07 stock head and taillights with the recommended Silver Star and 2397 brake light and I LOVE it. Huge difference! Thanks!!!!

IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/16/08 at 20:05:18

I so appreciate this forum.  Tomorrow I am riding in a parade then fast forward to Autozone to get those bulbs.  

Went to our local Auto Zone last week to buy some reflective tape.  It was $9.00 for a few inches.  Salesman told me to come back in the morning.  He had some personal reflective tape and he just cut off a bunch and gave it to me.  He definitely won over my business.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #13 - 05/17/08 at 19:20:08

I got some replacement brake lights yesterday at Auto Zone made by a company called JamStrait. They're LED, and they replace a bunch of different numbers (including ours).  I put one in, and it seems pretty bright with even illumination.  I'm sure it will last a lot longer than a bulb.

Our headlight has the look of a sealed beam.  So much so that I didn't even realize it was a lens with a small bulb until I read this thread.  I guess I have "old VW" on the brain.  Does anybody know if the early Savages had sealed beams?  I'm trying to remember when those compact halogen bulbs came out.  I thought it was around the mid 80s.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 05/17/08 at 20:17:41

My '87 uses the replaceable H4 bulb.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:34:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brighter lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.