Send Topic Print
savage running weird (Read 253 times)
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

savage running weird
04/22/08 at 06:47:35

Lately my bike has been running kinda weird. When I roll on the the gas or cruise at any speed the bike will get jerky like its not getting constant gas. but it dose not  do this all the time sometimes it will run great with no problem. Also it seems like the bike runs better on prime than on the on position. Dose anyone know what could be the problem and if it is a cheap easy fix.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: savage running weird
Reply #1 - 04/22/08 at 07:09:47

Replace the vac line.

Check for gas in it when you do.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 04/22/08 at 19:24:25

Thump, I am dealing with the exact same problem on my '87.  I got a bonus, though.  If I run it in the "ON" position, I get fuel leaking around the top of the carb.  Reading this board, I was convinced that the petcock had failed.  My dealer seconded that, so I've ordered a new petcock.  

It should be here in a week or so.  From the accounts everyone here has given, I'm pretty confident that this will cure what ails me.  Hope all goes well for you on yours.

-Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - 04/22/08 at 23:54:19

Look at the manual. Is the petcock on correctly?  When I bought mine, it was mounted upside down.  Had similar problem.

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/23/08 at 07:01:42

When I bought the bike the guy told me that he ran the bike on prime so that is just the way that I have been driving it. Last night I move it to the on position and took it down the rode to see how the bike ran and sure enough the bike cut off less than a mile down the rode. Dose this prove that the vacuum line is bad or is it the entire petcock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/23/08 at 07:14:25

Replace the vac line and call us in the morning.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #6 - 04/23/08 at 15:16:02

Mine was doing the same thing. I did what  the guys here said to do about the vacuum hose, enriched it a bit and now she's cooking.

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/23/08 at 16:09:45

I just got home and took the vac line off, there was a burnt hole in the line. I went and got a new one put it on, and the bike is still doing the same thing.(wont run for long in the on position, and will run in the prime position but the bike is really jerky) The line is a little bit longer but it fits tightly to each of the fittings.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/23/08 at 16:26:09

Next thing to check is the petcock and float valve.

There's a drain valve in the bottom of the carb.  1. put a cup/bowl under it and open it up with the petcock in the on position.  You should get a cup of gas.  2. turn the petcock to prime and gas should start to come out.  If it comes out in a dribble, somethings plugging it up.  to further isolate it, take the fuel line off the carb, still a dribble?  then it's the petcock.  comes out good, then it's the float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/23/08 at 17:56:33

Just drained the carb and when I switched to prime it kept flowing. It also was flowing from the fuel line. So what the heck should I do about the float, do I have to get a new float or is it something I can go into the carb and fix.

« Last Edit: 04/24/08 at 06:43:15 by thump »  
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #10 - 04/23/08 at 21:36:27

Added to what verslagen1 said, I'd put some seafoam in the gas tank.   Good luck with your problem!

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/24/08 at 06:46:06

Also since I drained the carb my bike is not running now. It will Idle for a little while but it is cutting off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/24/08 at 07:13:46

It looks like you need to take your carb apart.

I think there's a screen in the float valve seat, take that out and look for brown trout.  But a good general cleaning is in order.

WWW   IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/24/08 at 07:21:01

Thanks for all of your help. Looks like I will be tackling the carb this weekend.

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/02/08 at 16:51:50

well I got the carb cleaned an there was alot of gunk on the float screen. In the process of taking the carb off I thought I would wait and put the new cone air filter on that i got, when it comes in the mail. I was wanting to take the air box off of the bike and just run the cone filter. I took the air box off today and and found alot of oil and gunk in the bottom of the air box, is that normal or do I have a bigger problem no my hands?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage running weird

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.