Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It's not when you run out of gas....... (Read 237 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
It's not when you run out of gas.......
04/18/08 at 12:09:29

.....but where you run out of gas. What a freaking great day here in sunny New Jersey. I was thinking about it last night while watching the weather, and got up early for a blast. I was enjoying myself so much that I forgot where my mileage was when I filled up yesterday. Rode out by the farms, miles away from any gas stations. Enjoying the change of temperature, the smell of fresh cut grass while wearing only a t-shirt and leather. Very liberating ride without all of that cold weather clothing. Yeah a nice day.

Headed on back, and hit the main highway. While sitting at a red light, heard that familiar sputter and then, dead. Pulled over, switched to reserve, fired back up. I looked to my left to check for traffic and saw a gas station sitting on the corner across the highway. Bike took over two gallons. Sure, I could have gone a few more miles on reserve but how much fun would that be. Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket today. I know, I know, my time is gonna come......again. Had it been an hour earlier I would probably still be in the sun, but sitting on the side of the road waiting for fuel. But for today, I'm just going to enjoy my good luck. 

FSO
  IP Logged
bennyc
YaBB Newbies

PA
Re: It's not when you run out of gas.......
Reply #1 - 04/18/08 at 12:43:15

I hear ya..I'm looking forward to a ride tomorrow.

As far as the gas situation-I realize this is a bare-bones bike-but would it have killed them to put on a gas gauge???-I would gladly have paid the extra $10 on the MSRP.

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #2 - 04/18/08 at 12:58:37

So true.  

The first time it happened to me I was out in the farm land; no traffic in sight, gas station less than 5 miles away.

The second time I was on a highway, but again, there happened to be no traffic behind or near me, there was a place to pull-off 20 yards away as I was slowing down and I coasted to it, gas station 1/2 mile away.

I don't know what I would do in a populated traffic scenario.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/18/08 at 13:17:33

Prophet_10 wrote on 04/18/08 at 12:58:37:

Make sure you switch off  RES when you fill up.  And understand that that 0.6 gal of RES will get you 20-30 miles.   Enough to get out of traffic.  

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but my idle starts to go down at the light about 5 minutes before the bike start the spit & sputtering.  Maybe from the 1100 on the tach to 900 range.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #4 - 04/18/08 at 13:44:23

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/18/08 at 13:17:33:
Prophet_10 wrote on 04/18/08 at 12:58:37:

Make sure you switch off  RES when you fill up.  And understand that that 0.6 gal of RES will get you 20-30 miles.   Enough to get out of traffic.  

Right, but so far I guess I've not been quick enough with the switch.  Actually the switch is pretty tight and when I tried to get there fast enough while riding I wasn't able to do it before the bike died.  Must be because I don't often need to fiddle with the pet-cork/thingy and the bike is only 10 months old.

WWW   IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/08 at 21:11:01

Today it happened to me in a pretty congested section of Interstate.  I switched to reserve, but it jerked and sputtered after a mile, and then jerked and sputtered another 2 to a gas station at an exit.

When we say 20 miles, do we mean smooth riding, or this herjy-jerky stuff?  Is it a sign I should clean my petcock?

There was a very strong headwind, by the way.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #6 - 04/19/08 at 01:40:11

Can you not just switch to reserve while moving and have the engine restart from the motion of the gears?

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #7 - 04/19/08 at 02:40:11

Mine runs smooth on reserve - I've had to use it twice since I got the bike.

Had a thought though. Guys since I have no idea how long that gas has been in there - I have refilled a few  times since getting the bike - should I let it go dry and then refill with all good gas?

The mechanic couldn't find the reason it was cutting out on me - maybe bad or old gas?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/19/08 at 07:02:09

littlebird did you try carb cleaner like Seaform in t he gas

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #9 - 04/19/08 at 07:32:01

yeah ive been on my way home back from the bars late at night.. had to hit reserve then made it to work and back in the morning on the reserve.
but like they said make sure you switch to the down position when you park it or get enough gas in it. i usually put about 2.2 gallons in her each time i fill up.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 04/19/08 at 08:22:49

I like to ride out in the sticks a lot. At 100 miles I start looking for a gas station, when I switch to reserve I will go out of my way to get to a town within 20 miles.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 04/19/08 at 09:58:59

bill67 wrote on 04/19/08 at 07:02:09:
 littlebird did you try carb cleaner like Seaform in t he gas

Thanks Bill - no I haven't but I will. Just got it back from the shop this morning and they couldn't find anything. They thought I might have gotten some bad gas. They did enrich it for me and did a little extra tweaking and it is running and sounding better. It's happier at higher speeds now.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #12 - 04/19/08 at 13:42:52

I run mine out almost every tank. The weird thing is, when I ran out at a stop light one morning, the idle went UP. It was choked at the time. Another time it just died when I tried to pull away. Usually it will start to sputter a bit and I just switch it over.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 04/19/08 at 19:30:01

Wel, almost ran out in the car Saturday..went into Boston to Logan Airport to pick up my  wife.   Stopped off in Somerville at the Ducati/Triumph dealer (Both marques are having @$800.00 per model price increases due to the weak US dollar).  Was heading for a gas station when I got run off line by an ambulance, didn't see another gas station. Oh well, pick up my wife, head into the new Ted Williams tunnels and wham, traffic stops moving. Due to a construction company's trailor loosing a wheel.  we now have four lanes narrrowing into one.  The yellow warning light comes on to stay and there is nowhere to go..inching forward, minute by minute..  Thankfully, made it to the next gas station on the Pike..and even more thankfully my wife never noticed as she is always getting mad at me for not keeping the tank above half full.  Cheesy  

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #14 - 04/19/08 at 22:28:19

I've had my bike for almost 900 miles and be the the reserve 3 times. but  since I have only used it for commuting to work it's no big deal. Sooner or later that habit is going to bit my backside when I take a trip out of town.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:48:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's not when you run out of gas.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.