Send Topic Print
Inspecting spark plug (Read 181 times)
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Inspecting spark plug
04/18/08 at 05:08:46

I want to Inspect The Spark Plug

User Manual says remove two fuel tank bolts and slide back.

Clymer (remove Fuel Tank)

Dis. Battery Speedo
Turn Fuel Valve to "OFF"???...Shows "Reserve" in Picture
Dis Fuel Line Dis Vacuum line
Dis Indicator Light
Remove Fuel Tank with Speedo Cable

So for the first time and just to check Spark Plug can I follow the user Manual or is it a recipie for Disaster with all that fuel about

Also
The Fuel Valve to "OFF" does it matter if it is is in normal or reserve, I understand not "Prime"
after I see what the mechanics is like i might do the secret door for the plug mentioned elsewhere

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Inspecting spark plug
Reply #1 - 04/18/08 at 05:51:06

Leave the petcork in Normal (not Prime, not reserve) then:

Fuel Tank Removal

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/18/08 at 06:10:55

You don't have to take the tank all the way off.  You just need it up enough to get the chrome shield off.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Nicholasia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/19/09 at 12:42:56

Hi T Mack 1,
This is my first time posting. I tried yesterday to loosen the tank enough to lift it off partially -- to access the spark plug. However, the tank barely budged. I tried sliding back and giving it a little lift to the left, but nada. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #4 - 03/19/09 at 12:44:26

grab a hammer!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 03/19/09 at 16:00:45

Nicholasia wrote on 03/19/09 at 12:42:56:
Hi T Mack 1,
This is my first time posting. I tried yesterday to loosen the tank enough to lift it off partially -- to access the spark plug. However, the tank barely budged. I tried sliding back and giving it a little lift to the left, but nada. Any ideas?

You have to slide it back and left enough to work the petcock past the frame, and then it'll lift. Watch the petcock and you'll find it easier.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/19/09 at 17:18:50

Great time to do the Spark PLug Door Mod. No more tank bolts,seat, just swint the chrome away & pull the plug..

RIght after blowing out the recess the plug sits in, so sand & crap wont fall in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 03/20/09 at 02:55:19

Lazy Old Rider wrote on 04/18/08 at 05:08:46:
I want to Inspect The Spark Plug

User Manual says remove two fuel tank bolts and slide back.

Clymer (remove Fuel Tank)

Dis. Battery Speedo
Turn Fuel Valve to "OFF"???...Shows "Reserve" in Picture
Dis Fuel Line Dis Vacuum line
Dis Indicator Light
Remove Fuel Tank with Speedo Cable

So for the first time and just to check Spark Plug can I follow the user Manual or is it a recipie for Disaster with all that fuel about

Also
The Fuel Valve to "OFF" does it matter if it is is in normal or reserve, I understand not "Prime"
after I see what the mechanics is like i might do the secret door for the plug mentioned elsewhere

You forgot to mention to remove the two tank bolts you must first remove the front seat.

Anyway, how's it going?

On my bike, I can't remove the tank if I first do not remove the petcock, which means emptying the tank...

So...
1) empty tank
2) remove seat
3) remove tank bolts
4) remove petcock
5) remove speedo cable
6) unplug speedo wiring
7) remove tank
8) remove chrome cover
9) LAND ! LAND !!! change spark plug
10) fit chrome cover with rear bolt only
11) look for rubber grommets that rolled in the darkest, hardest to reach nooks in the garage  Roll Eyes
12) wrestle with tank and finally fit it
13) slap yourself for not plugging in speedo wiring  Roll Eyes
14) remove tank. wrestle with wiring until it's plugged
15) wrestle with tank and grommets that won't fit anymore  Roll Eyes
16) reconnect speedo cable
17) refit tank bolts
18) refit seat
19) pour gasoline back in tank
20) ask youself "why are my feet wet ? Why do I smell gas ?" THE PETCOCK !!!  Grin

And that's why I simply did away with the left chrome cover... Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 03/20/09 at 10:24:09

Nicholasia wrote on 03/19/09 at 12:42:56:
Hi T Mack 1,

How far back would you say you slide it.   It has to clear the two little cup like things that hold it to the rubber things on the frame.   ( do you like my liberal use of Things????   highlly technical....  Grin  )
So pictures are worth a thousand words.... here's a pict from an eBay tank for sale currently.   By the Speedo hole is the u-shaped things.  I guess they are maybe 2 inches......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 03/20/09 at 10:28:25

When you do get it off and get ready to put it back on a little lube on the rubber thingies well help it slide ON. Can you say lubricated rubber thingy?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Nicholasia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/20/09 at 11:34:20

Thanks a lot for your replies (especially for the photo). My tank wouldn't slide at all and I couldn't see that it was hitting against anything. I decided not to bother in case I damaged something while trying to force it. However, I got to the spark plug without taking off the tank and then managed to get the bike going late yesterday. Yea!!!

Now, I'll let those of you reading this know what I did, since I began this post in the first place (i.e. it's the least I can do).

My moto wouldn't start (Spring Blues, if that's not a misnomer for motorcycle enthusiasts!) and the spark plug seemed like a good place to begin a diagnosis (battery and gas were fine).

Fortunately, I'd already managed last year (by dumb luck, mostly) to get the tank off/dislodged enough and had put in a "door" for easier (still not easy) access to the spark plug. (Thanks to information given -- with pictures, no less! --  in another post here!)

Pulled out the spark plug, it looked fine, and then clumsily dropped it on the pavement. Of course, of course it landed smack on the wire-end and closed/ruined the gap! I bent it back with some needlenose and filed off some rough where the pliers had slipped and burred the metal a bit. Then, with a prayer or two, I put the plug back in and Bingo! My bike started up with no problem!

I'm not sure why it wouldn't start before, but I suppose the spark plug wasn't clean (although it looked clean and was new last September).

Anyway thanks for the help!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/20/09 at 11:41:49

mpescatori wrote on 03/20/09 at 02:55:19:
You forgot to mention to remove the two tank bolts you must first remove the front seat.

Anyway, how's it going?

On my bike, I can't remove the tank if I first do not remove the petcock, which means emptying the tank...

So...
1) empty tank
2) remove seat
3) remove tank bolts
4) remove petcock
5) remove speedo cable
6) unplug speedo wiring
7) remove tank
8) remove chrome cover
9) LAND ! LAND !!! change spark plug
10) fit chrome cover with rear bolt only
11) look for rubber grommets that rolled in the darkest, hardest to reach nooks in the garage  Roll Eyes
12) wrestle with tank and finally fit it
13) slap yourself for not plugging in speedo wiring  Roll Eyes
14) remove tank. wrestle with wiring until it's plugged
15) wrestle with tank and grommets that won't fit anymore  Roll Eyes
16) reconnect speedo cableTake care not to loose the speedo cable seal.  If it's lost already, replace with oring as it's impossible to buy a direct replacement.
17) refit tank bolts
18) refit seat
19) pour gasoline back in tank
20) ask youself "why are my feet wet ? Why do I smell gas ?" THE PETCOCK !!!  Grin

And that's why I simply did away with the left chrome cover... Cool

LOL, and I tossed the right one too!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inspecting spark plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.