Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I use a recitifier with 5 leads ? (Read 81 times)
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can I use a recitifier with 5 leads ?
04/17/08 at 06:19:27

Hi
Have just joined this forum and it looks realy ace!
Have already found loads of very good tips.

I have looked but can't find the info so sorry if my question is already answered somewhere.

I have bought a 1988 Savage with 20,000 miles on the clock, which I have stripped down and rebuilt. New clutch plates, reground valves, new timing chain, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings etc etc.

My problem now it is all up and running is that the charging system isn't producing enough voltage. Cause is a faulty voltage regulator. I am in UK and can get a regulator no problem, except all the recifiers I find on the internet are 2 plugs, 1 with 3 yellow wires and 1 with 3 wires, (red, orange and black).
All the rectifiers for sale for a savage LS650 say they fit all models, but have only 5 wires. There is no orange wire.

Does anyone know if a 5 wire rectifier will work Ok without connecting the orange on my bikes loom?

I have a clymer manual and the wiring diagrams for all years show 2 plugs with 6 wires including an orange wire that appears to somehow link into the park position on the ignition switch.

I would be real grateful if a few people would reply and let me know if they have 5 or 6 wire regulators, or if anyone has the full info on what differences there are.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Can I use a recitifier with 5 leads ?
Reply #1 - 04/18/08 at 03:22:43

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Can I use a recitifier with 5 leads ?
Reply #2 - 04/18/08 at 04:58:23

Thanks Vroom!
You sure know your electrics.
I got reasonable nous for general wiring etc but couldn't find any info on why there are only 5 wires recitifiers for sale.
From the info in your post I reckon the 5 wire (with the 6th internally shorted) should work Ok so I'm gonna buy one.

At £75 sterling I didn't want to buy something that wouldn't work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 05:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can I use a recitifier with 5 leads ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.