Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hmmm...Instant Community (Read 332 times)
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hmmm...Instant Community
04/17/08 at 05:56:48

Hi Everyone!

I bought a 2007 s40 about a month ago, and I fell on these forums while googling the heck out of it...I love some of the mod and maintenance threads, they'll be really helpful in the coming months!  

One thing I have noticed is the bike is prone to swerving in high winds (over 50mph). I checked my tire pressure a few times, and the dealership filled them both to 35 pounds, and they haven't deflated yet  Smiley. The manual says 29/33, do you think deflating to recommended would help the situation?

And why the hell would the shop inflate them over?

Nice to meet you all BTW!

IP Logged
DanGill

Re: Hmmm...Instant Community
Reply #1 - 04/17/08 at 06:07:25

David Levi wrote on 04/17/08 at 05:56:48:
And why the hell would the shop inflate them over?

Because they don't know what they're doing?

Welcome to the site. Bring the pressure down to the recommended level and try it. But you're going to find that the bike moves around quite a bit in the wind anyway. It's a very light bike.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 04/17/08 at 06:18:58

To maintain the proper contact patch *ALL* pneumatic tires have to be inflated to a pressure to match the weight they are carrying.  Too high and the tire is too hard and will contribute a little to the bike feeling skittish.  Too low and the bike will be wobbly.

At 500-550 pounds road weight the wind may affect you.  I did not notice any such on my LA-OKC-LA trip but that most likely was a combination of my knowing how the wind affects the bike and correction as it happens instead of after it happens, and that as long as I stay in my lane I don't care!

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/17/08 at 06:23:14

Congratulations on your new bike and welcome!  Definitely use the recommended pressures.  It's a very lightweight bike and is prone to being blown by high winds.  I've become accustomed to it, as have a lot of folks.  You might consider a fork brace for added stability but it won't stop you from being moved by high winds.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/17/08 at 06:31:19

David Levi wrote on 04/17/08 at 05:56:48:
One thing I have noticed is the bike is prone to swerving in high winds (over 50mph)

Winds over 50mph or the bike speed over 50mph? I assume bike speed as I'm not getting on the Savage at 50mph wind speed

Heavy winds tend to make you get a death grip on the controls - this makes it worse - as your knocked around by the wind a tight grip on throttle will cause the engine speed to vary and surge - try to keep your hands a bit open -

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/17/08 at 06:43:39

Which requires a conscious disconnect between the sphincter muscles & the hand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/17/08 at 06:53:51

To be honest I don't completely know what I am doing either...I'll definitely drop the pressure before I climb back on after work.

Would you suggest adding weight to the bike, or just staying under 65?

I could eat more, get my 150lbs up to 225?  Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/17/08 at 07:09:36

get the tire psi correct and check it often outside temp effects them a great deal and they'll drop some over say a month anyway - weekly check is good thing to do, ride a lot as much as you can. As the time comes look to upgrade the footing of the bike - fork brace, higher end tires, better dampened shocks, but likely most important is time on the bike - think about how many hours you've spent at the wheel of a car - and you really don't think about how to drive it all the time just when something abnormal happens - bike gets to be a lot the same way - you have to remain focused on a bike to be sure but the subconscious will start to help you operate it once it has done it enough

on the speed - these bikes are likely the happiest at around 55mph - but depending on where you are that may get you run over  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/17/08 at 07:10:40

David Levi wrote on 04/17/08 at 06:53:51:
To be honest I don't completely know what I am doing either...

If you haven't done so, you might consider taking the MSF Basic Rider's Course.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/17/08 at 07:24:55

Thanks for the suggestions. I have had the bike less than a month and I've logged 350 miles so far. The only gaff I've had so far is someone bumping the back of the bike with their car because they were unhappy that I did not pull into the middle of an intersection during a green light for a left hand turn. To that point I just waited at the white line so I could have a wider turning area. Plus, doing this didn't leave me stranded in oncoming traffic.

The basic course I consider very important, and I am signed up for it, in September! The waiting list was pretty long. A few friends told me I should try to walk in, which I might try if my schedule lets up. Or, I could pay $300 to a H-D place that offers it locally, unfortunately, I find them a bit pompous though...

No offense to the H-D guys.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #10 - 04/17/08 at 07:54:00

David Levi wrote on 04/17/08 at 07:24:55:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have had the bike less than a month and I've logged 350 miles so far. The only gaff I've had so far is someone bumping the back of the bike with their car because they were unhappy that I did not pull into the middle of an intersection during a green light for a left hand turn. To that point I just waited at the white line so I could have a wider turning area. Plus, doing this didn't leave me stranded in oncoming traffic.

The basic course I consider very important, and I am signed up for it, in September! The waiting list was pretty long. A few friends told me I should try to walk in, which I might try if my schedule lets up. Or, I could pay $300 to a H-D place that offers it locally, unfortunately, I find them a bit pompous though...

No offense to the H-D guys.

Yikes, pretty aggressive drivers near you.  I used to be an MSF instructor.  The classes usually have 1 open spot and 10 people wanting to get in in the spring.  By August it gets much easier to be a walk in.

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/17/08 at 08:07:23

Usually people here are pretty laid back (Columbus, OH), as long as the Bucks are winning anyway. I was just in a part of town where some people don't give a rat...

It was an eye opener though. Rear view mirrors get much more use now than they did before at a stop...

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 04/17/08 at 08:15:16

I'm kinda like the UPS drivers when it comes to making left hand turns. I avoid them whenever possible.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #13 - 04/17/08 at 08:35:19

Welcome.  I'm fairly new to the site too.  The people on here have been a tremendous help to me during my recent upgrades.  And DanGill is right, those service guys at your shop probably didn't know what they were doing when they over-inflated your tires.  Definitely fix that ASAP.  I'm pretty lucky because our local dealership is very well trained.

Wind is going to be a problem no matter what you do.  I ride about 8 miles to work each morning on a highway that runs right beside a river ... crazy high winds.  I'm like Paladin, as long as I stay in my lane, I'm happy.  I avoid the Interstate 99% of the time.  It's just too windy up there and the 18-wheelers blow me all over the road.  A little over 55 is where I draw the line (unless I'm passing somebody).

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/17/08 at 08:59:57

Yeah, thanks for the welcome and welcome yourself! I saw you have a v-star classic, that has to do a little better on the highway. I am commuting about 3-4 miles to work on the bike. It rocks, and it's all in city.

I will be taking the bike south down 23, which is pretty much 55 the whole way. I had no intention of taking it on a freeway though. I'm not brave enough for that bit of craziness.

I really have zero complaints about this bike, it was between this and a Honda VLX (price dropped), and this one just "fit" better. I'm a big fan so far...

And avoid left hand turns, totally noted...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 01:30:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hmmm...Instant Community

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.