Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
w00h00 the newest one to the savage crowd. (Read 198 times)
abo1787
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

w00h00 the newest one to the savage crowd.
04/16/08 at 19:15:18

Well I have to say I have been riding for a couple years now, and started on sport bikes.  Needless to say the 650 isn't a sportbike.  She is a 1995 w/ 6k miles.  I have only one problem.  The guy i got it from put on a jardine exhaust, and the bike backfires sooooo loud.  I'm a white guy living way too close to the bad side of town to pull up to a stopsign and backfire.  I have had my hands in engines for a wihle now, and don't mind working on them, but I have no tools up here so I guess I have to stick with the backfire.  I am currently a college student living in a rented apartment, so I don't really know what to do.  Just one quick question, will the bike backfiring do any damage to the bike itself, I have been creeping on here for a while and reading all about it, but haven't seen anything about it hurting it.  The only thing I really have found out is that I know nothing about the parts on a motorcycle.  I thought jets had something to do with air pressure/flow, and when the guy i bought the bike from told me it had been jetted, I thought i was special.  lol oh well.  I have to say though all in all, I love the bike.

~Andrew Cheesy

IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Re: w00h00 the newest one to the savage crowd.
Reply #1 - 04/16/08 at 22:52:05

no it will not hurt the bike backfiring most savage's and s40's do if not all as far as it being jetted he may not have the right size jets in or he may not have adjusted the carb for the jets i would start with tweaking the air mixture screw first followed by white spacer mod the air mixture screw fixed my backfires i had go to technical documents section of the forum and then go to table of contents look for the carbs section and there u will find everything you need on how to adjust the air mixture screw , white spacer mod and much more .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 04/17/08 at 06:18:46

Welcome and congratulations on your Savage!  Read the posts on the white spacer mod and on carb tuning in the Tech Ref forum.  You can tune the backfiring out.  Also be sure you have no exhaust leaks, as they can cause some backfiring too.  You may need to replace one or both of the exhaust gaskets.  Only tighten the header bolts with the engine cold.  You can strip the aluminum threads otherwise.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/17/08 at 11:34:56

They are easy enough to strip , anyway. Torquewrench time. I have a sears beam type, works fine,save your $$. The click style are great, just too costly. This is a crude machine, not an automatic transmission.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 04/17/08 at 17:45:27

Welcome to the site!

I'd adjust your air/fuel mixture. You are either running to lean or to rich.  I had the same problem when I got my Jardine pipe installed. Take it to a mechanic to help you figure it out.  A quarter turn richer worked for me Smiley  

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I believe T-MACK wrote this; if it is not the mixture, it might be this:

Check the exhaust for leaks,  get a candle, light it and hold the flame up to all the exhaust joints with engine running.   The flame should not be moved, either blown away from or pulled into the joint.  

It could get pulled into the joint because of .....   (see me scratching head again) venturi effect  or is it Bernoulli's principle.....  .   Anyway,  a leak will introduce air where is shouldn't be and the results can be a backfire also.

IP Logged
abo1787
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/08 at 08:21:14

thanks for all of the help.  I have checked the air flow mix screw, and it cleaned up most of the backfiring, but I still can't get it all out.  I am checking for leaks, and I guess if nothing else works, I will go to the white spacer mod.  Being ni college, and having no tools to work on the bike though, I'm kinda stuck until I can get the money to do some modding.

~Andrew

and thanks again.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 04/18/08 at 10:44:42

abo1787 wrote on 04/18/08 at 08:21:14:
thanks for all of the help.  I have checked the air flow mix screw, and it cleaned up most of the backfiring, but I still can't get it all out.  I am checking for leaks, and I guess if nothing else works, I will go to the white spacer mod.  Being ni college, and having no tools to work on the bike though, I'm kinda stuck until I can get the money to do some modding.

~Andrew

and thanks again.

Your profile doesn't show where you're at.   Maybe there is a forum member close by ....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 04/18/08 at 16:39:34

[quote author=4E4B4A4A5D7B474C4D4745434B240 link=1208398518/0#4 date=1208479527]Welcome to the site!

Check the exhaust for leaks,  get a candle, light it and hold the flame up to all the exhaust joints with engine running.   The flame should not be moved, either blown away from or pulled into the joint.  

That's a cool idea.  I wonder how it would work trying to find the leak in my carb?  8)

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 11:13:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › w00h00 the newest one to the savage crowd.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.