Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First bump in the road... (Read 143 times)
fatldi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
First bump in the road...
04/16/08 at 16:02:06

Or driveway.  We have a gravel driveway and bike slid out from under the wife.  Went over on right.  Only real damage was to rider footpeg, rear brake pedal...both bent and rear turnsignal...broken.  I have ordered all overnight and will be at dealer tomorrow.  Can not get the bike to dealer any time soon to do repairs so going to attempt myself.  Are these relatively easy repairs, or are there any secrets I need to know about?  Thanks.  Dale Embarrassed

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: First bump in the road...
Reply #1 - 04/16/08 at 17:01:22

These are easy repairs.  The peg and brake pedal merely unbolt and bolt back on.  I would try bending the brake pedal back into shape, provided it is not bent too badly.  I left mine on the bike and used a crescent wrench to bend it back to where I wanted it.  Just set the crescent wrench to where it fits snugly on the flat part of the pedal lever and use the leverage of the wrench handle to put it back right.

The rear turn signal will require the removal of the fender supports.  This is able to be accomplished with the rear wheel on, but will take some time to get the nuts off of the inner fender.  Be sure to protect your rear fender in some way when putting the supports back on.  I used a rag.  The important thing is to keep from scratching it (the aforementioned is assuming you have a sissy bar).  All of these repairs are straight forward and fairly easy to do.  

I am glad no one was injured.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - 04/16/08 at 20:08:19

I relocated my turn signals last weekend without removing the rear wheel.  There is enough room to get a wrench on the rear support bolts with the wheel in place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/16/08 at 20:32:27

Did the lens break on the turn signal? If not, did you pick up all, ALL of the pieces? I am very good at gluing those back together. The girl has busted ours 3 times, maybe 4. I dont think it will fix again. Anyway, if you have all  the pieces & its not in more than 6 or 7 pieces & the lens isnt busted. I would sure like to have it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #4 - 04/17/08 at 07:13:25

The bolts that go through the driver foot peg mount are engine mount bolts.  Do you have a torque wrench?

WWW   IP Logged
fatldi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Thanks guys...
Reply #5 - 04/17/08 at 15:59:00

Up and running again.  Was able to straighten the brake pedal.  The turn signal was not a big problem.  Lens was broken and housing cracked.  Was able to salvage the bulb Grin  Since the foot peg was broken on the distal end did not need to mess with the engine mount bolt.  The only thing hurt was her ego.  Really just slid out in the gravel driveway.  110 mile poker run on Saturday.  I am working  :'( but she is riding with a friend.  Thanks again Dale aka fatldi

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:25:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First bump in the road...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.