Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top Speed - 86 mph (Read 178 times)
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Top Speed - 86 mph
04/16/08 at 08:53:47

I took my 2007 S40 out on monday evening and on a straight-away I decided to open it up.  Mind you I am NOT all about speed in any way, I just got curious.  Last summer The fastest I had gone was about 77 mph.  I still felt like I had a lot of throttle left at that point.  

I just installed a windshield and a dyna muffler, so I am not really sure how much these affect top speed.  So on monday I was out having a fine time and opened it up to about 80 mph.  Again I felt like I had a lot of throttle so I kept opening it more and more.  Well, It topped out at 86 mph WOT.  

The next day (yesterday) I rode to work for the first time this year, and I totally ran out of gas way before I expected to, but hadn't calculated my mileage on the last tank.  After filling up and riding home under more reasonable speeds, I calculated 66 mpg.  Last year I was consistently getting 59-60 mpg.

Anyway, I guess I'm just glad to get out there again - Chicago still isn't quite sure if winter is over yet.

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Top Speed - 86 mph
Reply #1 - 04/16/08 at 08:59:25

When I had mine going full out the fastest I got was around 75 mph.  I added a shield last week.  I'll have to see if there is a difference.  Oh, and winter won't be over here until June!

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #2 - 04/16/08 at 09:15:12

There's only one true sign that winter has left the midwest -- when the lakes and rivers start giving up the bodies of the fall and winter drowning victims.  It means the water has warmed up enough for decomposition to proceed, and the gasses given off make them buoyant.  

So far no town or village has figured out how to turn this into an annual tourist event.  It'd be a tough one -- "Bobbing for Bodies", "Spring Corpse Run"???   Hey, if Hinkley Ohio could turn buzzards into a tourist attraction...

Yeah, my pathology prof had done some summer gigs as a forest ranger -- funny you should ask!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #3 - 04/16/08 at 09:18:58

drharveys - FSO wrote on 04/16/08 at 09:15:12:
There's only one true sign that winter has left the midwest --  -- funny you should ask!

wow.  that's pretty gross.  I usually just look for leaves on the trees and such...

WWW   IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #4 - 04/16/08 at 11:23:36

I hit 90 2 days ago on my '96.  Last year I was able to hit 85.  I rejetted and cleaned the carb a few months ago.  I think I still had a little more in the throttle but I got stuck behind 2 cars.

My savage is pretty light though, no windshield, no front fender, chrome guard on belt is gone.... Im also pretty light, only 175, so all that could add up.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #5 - 04/16/08 at 12:29:25

I got mine up to 76-77 the other day, but I have some issues to work out with the carbs. I did notice yesturday that the little savage does not like the wind. Started wobbling at 20mph gusts. Got a little nervous heading over a bridge when the bottom felt like it was going to come out from under me! I just cranked it down to 45 and kept on pushin!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #6 - 04/16/08 at 12:50:47

Chopped wrote on 04/16/08 at 12:29:25:
I did notice yesturday that the little savage does not like the wind. Started wobbling at 20mph gusts. Got a little nervous heading over a bridge when the bottom felt like it was going to come out from under me! I just cranked it down to 45 and kept on pushin!

Indeed, last year I had a problem with cross-winds at high speed and I thought it was just from fact that I hadn't really been on a bike in 15 years.  I assumed that this year I would feel more comfortable, and in some case I have been.  

Yesterday was quite gusty in Illinois and on my ride home from work (30 mi.) I had a near constant heavy side wind that would push the savage almost off the road.  45 mph certainly takes care of it, but I can't really go that slow on most of the roads I need to take.

When riding with my brother last year, however, sometimes if I had trouble with the strong winds, he would switch bikes with me (his is a ninja 650) and say that the savage is as solid as a rock and he didn't notice anything at all.  I figured it was just the rider.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/16/08 at 20:49:18

I've been hit by gusts from the side & unlike the Kawa 750 twin I had in the 80's, this one seems to blow the wheels over, so I am leaned into the wind & I stay in my lane. The Kawa nearly got blown off the road once, when a big gust hit while I was passing a big rig. As the bike came out from behind the truck, the wind was at full force & blew me so close to the edge of the road I couldnt countersteer it to lean, becvause the countersteer would have put me off the road, into big lumpy gravel, & I was only wearing shorts & tennis shoes, running at about 85, back when I was in the mid 20's & still quite bulletproof.MAN that wooda HURT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:15:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top Speed - 86 mph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.