Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing carb bowl with carb in place? (Read 133 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Removing carb bowl with carb in place?
04/15/08 at 19:06:36

Hello all.  I'm new to the forum, and have been diligently reading the previous posts.  What a wealth of information!.  Without the Savage-specific knowledge and experience I've found here, I'd have spent beacoup bucks unnecessarily.  I'm going through all the old posts, but am impatient to find one particular answer in the mix...  I recently bought my first Savage, a BEAUTIFUL '87 with 3600 miles on it.  It was actually owned by a little old lady, who kept it in a garage all its life.  New tires and battery.  I gave $1500 for it.  As a result of its sitting so much, the carb is giving me fits.  If I run the fuel selector in the "on" setting, fuel spills out from the top of the carb and gets me all stinky.  In the "reserve" setting, everything is dandy except for a little black smoke at startup.  Also, my mileage is REALLY lousy.I suspect float trouble.  

My question is this:  Is there some mechanism to retain the needle and other goodies if I remove the bowl with the carb (stock Mikuni) still installed?  Or will the float drop far enough to let those little pieces and parts fall out?  I'm currently commuting daily on the bike, and would rather not dismantle the whole bike right now, especially until I finish perusing the posts on this site.  With my luck, page 186 has a post saying "don't take the bowl off an '87, whatever you do!"

I am runnig Seafoam and two stroke oil in the gas, pursuant to advice you folks have offered others in the past, but am not sure whether that will address a sticky needle or not.

Sorry to ask ANOTHER carb question, but I just gotta know, so I can decide how and when to address this.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Removing carb bowl with carb in place?
Reply #1 - 04/15/08 at 19:15:16

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your best option right now is to take the carb off of the bike.  Since it has been sitting (and 3600 miles since '87 means it has seen some serious garage time), it should be disassembled and cleaned thoroughly.  The Sea-foam might cure your ills; but if it were my bike, I would assure that the carb was pristine.

Also, check the vacuum hose.  If there is gas in there, you have issues.  Check the oil for traces of gas.  The crappy mileage has me worried.  However, a clogged carb can account for many issues...

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 04/15/08 at 19:20:46

Gotta agree,that pesky varnish is all through the carb.Look in the tech section about 5-6 months ago Savagewahine did her carb,and there are great pics,and step by step.Carbs aren't that hard,just becareful with parts some are fragile,and soke are tiny. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/15/08 at 19:27:26

demin is correct, carbs aren't that hard.  They just take some patience.  They aren't that hard to get off and on (try getting a rack of four off and on and synced correctly).

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/15/08 at 19:31:56

Here's what I'd do...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

second, check out that petcock, it sounds like it's acting up too.  
Reserve should be no different than "on", check for gas in the  vacuum line too.  And replace it anyway.

The fuel line should be replaced too.  Old rubber is no good.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 04/16/08 at 04:53:05

steely wrote on 04/15/08 at 19:27:26:
demin is correct, carbs aren't that hard.  They just take some patience.  

I'm planning to gut the thing and spiff it up as soon as I can, but I don't want to start a project that I can't finish before work the next morning (Who knows what gremlins I might encounter and how many trips to Honest Habib's Obscure Metric Parts store I might have to make?)  

I changed the hoses after reading that advice earlier on the board.

I just figured a quick sluicing of the bowl and float from below would be better than nothing in the short-term, but I don't want to end up with parts all over the ground.

Thanks for the input, fellas.  I guess I'll wait for the weekend and give it a shot then.  

Take care.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 04/16/08 at 06:11:33

Aside from the carb needing a proper cleaning - you can pull the bowl easy enough - a little tight against the battery box but you can push the top of it back enough to do so - the hard part is if the stock soft phillips head screws are still in place they can be a real pita to break loose the first time - you need to put a lot of pressure on a very good phillips bit to keep from stripping them out or you’ll be playing with a drill and easyout to remove them – and throw these in the trash – replace with stainless allen head screws on the bowl and the diaphragm/slide cover as well  

IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #7 - 04/16/08 at 08:39:11

Reelthing wrote on 04/16/08 at 06:11:33:
the hard part is if the stock soft phillips head screws are still in place they can be a real pita to break loose the first time - you need to put a lot of pressure on a very good phillips bit to keep from stripping them out or you’ll be playing with a drill and easyout to remove them – and throw these in the trash – replace with stainless allen head screws on the bowl and the diaphragm/slide cover as well  

Would you have a shopping list (specs) of the carb bolts that should be replaced?

Thank you!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/16/08 at 12:48:56

m5x10mm for the top plate and m5x15mm for the bowl in stainless allen head is what I used

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 04/16/08 at 16:51:24

Thanks, Reelthing.  That's what I needed to know.  I'll get those screws first thing and give it a shot.  I appreciate the help.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:30:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing carb bowl with carb in place?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.