Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Protac Driver's Backrest (Read 256 times)
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Protac Driver's Backrest
04/15/08 at 12:41:17

I installed the Protac Driver's Backrest last week and had been waiting for the weather to clear up so I could try it out.  

Yesterday I got a chance to ride a few miles with it, and I think I really like the idea of a driver's backrest.  But, the Protac is just a little too far forward for me.  I might try to make a custom mounting bracket that is longer so I can move it back a couple inches.

Here are some photos:

This is how far back I think I would like to mount it:

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Protac Driver's Backrest
Reply #1 - 04/15/08 at 13:12:57

What controls the angle of the backrest?  I'm wondering if the mount could be tilted further rearward?

EDIT.  I see there is tab on the top of the mount that sits on the rail  I wonder if that were bent up to allow the rest to recline more and then bent at the top to fix the position.

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #2 - 04/15/08 at 13:26:16

Looks like a comfortable backrest, but it would drive me nuts being that close to me.  Also I don't really see the Savage as a doubles kind of bike.  It's powerful enough, but I feel cramped when I've got a passenger.  I wanted a backrest that does double duty as a bag and a backrest ... so I have more room for stuff.  I've installed the Kuryakyn Tombstone Bag which is a bag/backrest combo.  Here's the link:

http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code...

That's the best price on the Internet that I know of.  I LOVE it.  Lots of storage space, high quality, and the difference of riding with a backrest cannot be described.  There 3 different sizes of backrest pad (actually you can trim them to whatever thickness you want).  If I knew how to post pictures on here, I would post ya a picture of it.  I might try to do that this evening.

I'm not saying you've made a bad decision or anything, because all you have to do is mount yours a little further back to wherever it feels best.  I almost bought nearly the same thing as you before I ran across the Kuryakyn ad for the Tombstone.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - 04/15/08 at 13:48:08

When the bag is not full what keeps it from falling back when you lean on it?

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #4 - 04/15/08 at 16:10:00

It has a VERY sturdy internal frame that both supports you and keeps the form of the bag.  That picture is actually with the side pockets not installed.  It comes with two great little side pouches that are perfect for storing all sorts of smaller cargo.  The internal frame is removable if you want to store your helmet in there, but don't know why anybody would do that.

I have attached bungey cords to those loops on the bottom.  It keeps it perfectly secured when you are getting on & off the bike and also when you are adjusting yourself while riding.  What you see pictured is the largest pad that it comes with.  This will not work on our Savages.  You will need the smallest pad which is still incredibly comfortable.

While I was working on the bike I left the backrest off during test rides ... I don't know how I rode so long without it!!!

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #5 - 04/15/08 at 19:36:18

Prophet_10 wrote on 04/15/08 at 12:41:17:
I installed the Protac Driver's Backrest last week and had been waiting for the weather to clear up so I could try it out.  

How much did you pay for it?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 04/15/08 at 20:36:24

I've been wondering what the Protac looked like on the Savage....glad you got all those pics!
Does look a bit close....bet you can figure a way to move it back some!

I bought a Leather Roll bag , pretty cheap ,on ebay.The width is the same length as the passenger seat. Works pretty good as a backrest when you get it on.Its easy to kinda put it where you want it,as far as more room....put what you want in it,I have a fat pillow in mine(and other stuff) which gives it good support for the back.And it has side pockets to carry stuff.

But the Protac does look good Smiley Let us know if you get it moved back and how Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #7 - 04/16/08 at 06:33:24

feelinjunky wrote on 04/15/08 at 19:36:18:
How much did you pay for it?

It's about 150 bones from scootworks.

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #8 - 04/16/08 at 06:38:11

FreeSpirit wrote on 04/15/08 at 20:36:24:
I've been wondering what the Protac looked like on the Savage....glad you got all those pics!
Does look a bit close....bet you can figure a way to move it back some!

But the Protac does look good Smiley Let us know if you get it moved back and how Wink

The brackets that hold it are just a piece of bent metal with a cylinder welded to it.  I think I will try to fabricate one that is about 60mm longer.

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #9 - 05/20/08 at 06:27:33

I got one of these backrest from the manufacturer for $135 shipped.  They asked me my height when I ordered.  The bend it differently based on your height.  I also showed them a picture of the angle I thought I would like.  When I got the backrest it was angled back more than I wanted.  I drilled a hole in the top of each mounting bracket and used a screw to change the angle of the mount.  This way I get some adjustability to it.  Pro-tac would change the mount if I wanted them to but i didn't want to send it back and like my solution.  The backrest does help with not getting a back ache.  I can't ride a cruiser without one.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 05/20/08 at 06:39:20

I wish you guys would stop coming up with new ways for me to spend money. Roll Eyes

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 05/21/08 at 01:24:25

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 05/20/08 at 06:39:20:
I wish you guys would stop coming up with new ways for me to spend money. Roll Eyes

Ditto Wink

(I'm already working too many hours to try to buy all I want and need for my bike.... I have no free time to ride Roll Eyes

But,I remember the backrest was one of the first things I wanted Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:26:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Protac Driver's Backrest

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.