Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Bars and Risers
Reply #16 - 04/13/08 at 23:11:24

I have stock my '06 risers with '87 buckhorns.  Got the buckhorns on here for 20 shipped.  I had to buy a longer brake line.  I find them more comfortable on the longer rides with few turns.  I think it gives the bike a slightly longer flowing look too.

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
YannB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/14/08 at 11:38:35

Hi, I need to know where is the best place for a risers kit for my Savage 1998 I want some  Risers like Demin's Pict

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #18 - 04/14/08 at 11:44:52

I just bought a set of 4" straight risers and a no rise drag bar from JCwhitney.com.  Pretty decent prices, came in under $100 when it was all said and done.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #19 - 04/14/08 at 11:48:19

How are these after market bars for vibration?  Aren't the stock bars heavy to help with vibration?

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #20 - 04/14/08 at 11:53:59

I have no clue, mine are still in the mail.  But I'll report back in 6-10 days.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 04/14/08 at 11:58:56

Keith_T wrote on 04/14/08 at 11:48:19:
How are these after market bars for vibration?  Aren't the stock bars heavy to help with vibration?

The stock bars have weights just a little ways into each end.  I have a set of 36" drag bars that I filled with BBs and put epoxy into each end to seal them in.  They work very well.  Of course, I also have Kuryakyn ISO grips, which dampen a lot of vibration on their own.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/15/08 at 05:50:59

I am in the Middle of tailoring the bike with the right Bars.

My Us Import to the UK has Drag Bars with 4" Risers, but it was doing my clutch thumb in.

Rotating the levers to a more vertical position improved the hold but B***ERD up the Mirrors, so I split the difference.

Got New Mirrors with Better Adjustment, but that means a lot of fiddling, of which I am still in the middle of!!!!

My Local Independent is a Harley Man and since the demise of the Local Polaris Agent, he is taking on the care of a number of Victories.

A Committee discussion, came to the conclusion that my short Arms and Legs mean that I need to go for 2 Inch Risers and bars with a slight pull back, not as severe as the Stock "Buckhorns" which I also had with the bike.

I will let you know what they are like when I get Them.

These are "Highway Hawk" supplied in the UK.

IP Logged
punkid33
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/07/08 at 07:44:16

Demin - I cant tell if those are pullback risers.
I like your setup and want to mimic with the drag and 4 inch risers.
I was looking on ebay for 4 inch risers.  Would any set work with my 86'? If not what diameter size did you buy.

Thanks!

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/07/08 at 09:23:09

I also adjusted the angle on my '40.  Got the grips up an inch or 2 and it does feel better.
I have to admit I was wondering if the buckhorn bars would be more comfortable, though.

ok, everyone line up for the grat bar swap..........................
drag bars to the right, buckhorns to the left, everyone else in the middle........................

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #25 - 05/07/08 at 14:40:04

punkid33 wrote on 05/07/08 at 07:44:16:
Demin - I cant tell if those are pullback risers.
I like your setup and want to mimic with the drag and 4 inch risers.
I was looking on ebay for 4 inch risers.  Would any set work with my 86'? If not what diameter size did you buy.

Thanks!

Pullback risers are short things.  On the older biks, the Drag bar risers were just a spacer added to raise them up.   Look at one of the microfische sites.  I noticed that on the S40's the riser has a metal piece between the two up-rights.  Probably makes it sitffer for better control.   I saw somewhere here that someone was having an issue with getting a tach bracket on  because that metal was in the way.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #26 - 05/07/08 at 14:54:34

Ok buttgoat...I'm confused.I have drags,apes,and Z's which side am I on? Grin Huh Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #27 - 05/08/08 at 10:13:24

Latimer, what jet sizes did you use when you re-jetted.  Also what thickness (or # of washers) did you use for the white-spacer mod.  Been chasing a problem all week.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #28 - 05/08/08 at 11:58:09

Out of the dozen or so bars I've tried on my Savages so far, I've liked these 2" rise "drag" bars the best:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360050424874

Should mention, however, that the knurling is a bit narrow on the bars since they are meant for a H-D, so some of the knurling shows when you have them installed.

I've had them on several height and degree of pullback risers, and they've felt good to me on all of them. I don't know if they're high enough to use with the stock short risers though. (YMMV, as everyone seems to have different tastes in bars. I tend to like mine a bit wide, and with only a medium amount of pull back.)

And speaking of risers... when shopping for risers be aware that you can use the two-piece Harley type on a Savage; but not the ones that use the one piece cap. The only problem with using the two-piece ones is that you have to drill/grind/file out the holes in your chromed washers that tighten the rubber isolation grommets onto the triple tree; because the H-D risers use a 1/2"-13 bolt for mounting; which is slightly larger than the stock Suzuki metric stud.

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #29 - 05/09/08 at 12:07:01

rpgpgmr wrote on 05/08/08 at 10:13:24:
Latimer, what jet sizes did you use when you re-jetted.  Also what thickness (or # of washers) did you use for the white-spacer mod.  Been chasing a problem all week.

I put in a 50 and 150 and 2 washers for the spacer.  I had to significantly back out my idle mixture screw after rejetting and putting on a new muffler, but after that the backfire has disappeared completely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bars and Risers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.