Send Topic Print
Stranded (Read 375 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Stranded
04/10/08 at 05:21:13

So I was riding to work this morning and everything seemed fine. I hit a patch of fog and the bike just died on me. I got it started again and headed down the road. I made it about 1 mile or so and it did it again. Felt like it was starved for fuel so I turned it to PI.... nothing! Noticed the fuel line had a slight kink in it just above the in-line fuel filter I installed. I pulled the hose off and cut a little section, put it back on and NOTHING..... I sat there for twenty or so trying to turn it over and now the battery is on the way out.

ANY THOUGHTS! I have to get it drivable to get home. otherwise its a 17 mile hump to the Home Base!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Stranded
Reply #1 - 04/10/08 at 05:26:05

Keep things simple. Before you drain the battery further, make sure you are getting gas into the carb.
When you are sure the carb is full, then try it again.
If it doesn't turn, you'll either have to get a jump or new battery.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/10/08 at 05:26:46

If you open the drain screw do you have gas in the bowl?

Check the wires going to the coil

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 04/10/08 at 06:23:17

Disconect the hose from the tank to the in line filter and put it on prime, see if you get fuel (yeah, hold the line out a bit)>  Always possible the filter is clogged or (dare I say it) in backwards?) Wink

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #4 - 04/10/08 at 07:10:10

Backwards..... I may be a Marine, but I am not retarded! It ran all day yesturday with it on. I ran on my reserves for about 10 miles or so, filled up... First time I filled up since I put the filter on. I am just thinking its clogged! IN SHALLALLAH!!!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 04/10/08 at 08:29:45

Why do you think the filter is clogged? If you are in the service you should understand the KISS principal, and checklists. Prove to yourself whether the filter is clogged. Also don't discount double checking something you're sure is right. You wouldn't be the first competent person to do something stupid.

Do you have gas in the carb? This is probably the easiest thing to verify. That's why I put it first earlier. The methods are even listed in the replies above.

Are you getting gas through the filter? (on prime it should be if you pull the line)

Do you have enough voltage to turn the engine over at speed? Again a very easy thing to check, but since you are potentially stranded, remember you don't need to check this until you are sure you have fuel.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 04/10/08 at 08:45:41

I believe either the carburetor ices up or the air filter absorbs moisture as there has been this complaint on Savages since 98 when I got mine. Never and explanation or solution has been offered in my recollection.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/10/08 at 08:59:56

You just filled up... bad gas?

After a couple of min's trying to start, I would try push starting to preserve the battery (advise may be late but better than never).

Push starting also has the bene of coaxing something to start that's on the edge.

From the other posts, I'd check for flooding.  Pull sparky.

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 04/10/08 at 09:11:41

Well after getting a ride out to the bike, I decided to check and see if its getting fuel. Pulled the hose off inbetween the carb and filter.... no gas coming out.... pulled the hose off of filter... and what do you know... GAS! Took the filter off, turned right over, drove back to work! BAD FILTER BAD!

One of my fellow riders said it could be the tank coating that started to flake away. The filter in the tank allows the particles to go right through, but the better filter I put in did not. NO FLOW NO GAS!

T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 04/10/08 at 09:59:42

Filter went south after the fill up.   Hmmm ........

First,  I take it your filter isn't air locked....I would think not since it was running before the fill up......

Next, If the gas station is one you trust, then I would think the filter has been slowly clogging and it finally hit the point where it wouldn't pass fuel.  

I didn't see what year your bike was.   Is the inside of your tank rusted?    As for a coating on the inside.....  did Suzuki do that????  My '01 looks like bare metal.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #10 - 04/10/08 at 10:34:52

I just put the filter on this weekend, so the slowly clogging option is out the window. I only put about 40 miles on it when it went south.

The bike is a 2000. I would expect the manufacturer to coat the tank. It keeps the Gas from eating away at the metal. The coating is either clear or has a very light tone to it. It should apear to be bare metal when looking at it, exspecailly through gas. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 04/10/08 at 11:06:12

Are you folks in a seasonal change from winter gas to summer gas or anything of that sort? was your filter a see through model?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/10/08 at 11:28:31

And some filters are meant for pressurized systems.

It was reccomended to go to a lawn mower shop for filters.

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #13 - 04/10/08 at 11:55:21

The filter was a stainless steal one. I talked to the guys at the autoparts store and they said it should work just fine. I used the hose clamps to prevent any air from getting in and messing witht the vacume needed by the carburator. I am not sure about the GAS question.... Undecided

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/10/08 at 14:24:43

LOok, the guy said, "Went thru the fog & it DIED" You guys don't read? It's OBViously the fog, you dolts! These people NEVER saw Twilight Zone? Sometimes I wonder why I even bother....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:14:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stranded

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.