Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod? (Read 669 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod?
Reply #30 - 04/14/08 at 00:37:46

mentaka wrote on 04/13/08 at 23:07:47:
The manual says that she will take more than 2 litres, so why not fill her up to the max?
I dont mean to question your knowledge but I dont understand.
What would happen if I ran her with too much oil in? Shocked

Too much oil will increase the pressure inside the engine, which is likely to cause various seals to blow and can cause other damage. Also, you may get sprayed with hot oil!

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/15/08 at 05:58:15

mentaka wrote on 04/09/08 at 11:47:17:
Thanx but im always being told that im changing gear too early, but i find the engine so noisy that I tend to chamge gear as soon as it starts what i call getting noisy but what other people call going through the rev range (i think). Undecided

It depends whos telling you!
The Savage is a Torque,y Thumper, now a Tuperware Power Ranger revs a lot and Changes later.

I think that as Long as she "takes up", when you twist the grip then you are in the "Right Gear". No Twist left to Low, no response too High, if you follow me.

If you follow me i am the Slow one Grin

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #32 - 04/15/08 at 06:37:35

PhilM wrote on 04/14/08 at 00:37:46:
mentaka wrote on 04/13/08 at 23:07:47:
The manual says that she will take more than 2 litres, so why not fill her up to the max?
I dont mean to question your knowledge but I dont understand.
What would happen if I ran her with too much oil in? Shocked

Too much oil will increase the pressure inside the engine, which is likely to cause various seals to blow and can cause other damage. Also, you may get sprayed with hot oil!

The bike is a low oil pressure bike. It would take more than just too much oil to blow a seal.  Actaully, there aren't that many selas anyway (low trech engine...) .

Too much oil will cause more splash when the crankshaft comes down.  That will cause more oil vapor which will come out the breather.    Definitely would get to be a messy outcome.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #33 - 04/16/08 at 00:47:54

Well ive riden the bike everyday for the last 3 days with the oil being at the level that it was at and i havent had any problems.
Some one left this feed for me but wheres the breather and how would i notice oil vapour?
'Too much oil will cause more splash when the crankshaft comes down.  That will cause more oil vapor which will come out the breather.    Definitely would get to be a messy outcome.'
Thank you to everyone for your help. She seems to be okay at mo but will let you know. Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #34 - 04/16/08 at 03:11:24

mentaka wrote on 04/16/08 at 00:47:54:
Some one left this feed for me but wheres the breather and how would i notice oil vapour?
'Too much oil will cause more splash when the crankshaft comes down.  That will cause more oil vapor which will come out the breather.    Definitely would get to be a messy outcome.'

The Breather (also call crankcase ventilation) is a rubber tube that comes out of top of engine and goes to air box (air filter housing).  On the bottom of the air box is a drain tube that hangs down from the bottom of the bike.   It has a cap on it.  

Put a pan  under the tube, remove cap and check how much oil comes out.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #35 - 04/16/08 at 14:30:24

Ahhhh will try it and let you know thanx. Shocked

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #36 - 04/16/08 at 19:33:09

I shift at around 15, 25, 35, 45, and my 06 S40 seems to run very smooth at those shift points.  I have close to 9500 miles on it.  Vibration on mine is not that bad at all.  As far as engine noise goes, yes, I can hear the engine because I have the stock pipe and it is quiet.  
I am not as mechanically inclined as most others on the site, so I don't know what to tell you about your vibration.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #37 - 04/16/08 at 23:16:13

T MACK 1 -
Ive done as you suggested and pulled the plug on the breather pipe.
Yuk !
I had about 1/2 to 3/4 of an egg cup full of clear slimy oily liquid.
Does this mean there was too much oil? and if there was fluid in there does that mean that anything else could be damaged?
Mind you I dont know when that breather pipe was last checked as ive only had the bike about 6-8 weeks.
Also a strange thing happened this morning, completly unrelated i think but wondering if you knew anything about it?
I went to start bike to go to work as normal (she usually starts very well with a small amount of choke for our british spring).
Switched electrics on as normal, pulled in clutch, went to start and nothing. Had a strong neutral light. But there was no noise at all, not even the engine trying or the electrics, nothing.
I stood there completly perplexed, bottom lip quivering, then I started fiddeling with the high and low beam and the indicator switch, just making sure all was off or one as it should be. Thought id give her one last try and hey presto she turned over first time.
What happened? Embarrassed

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 04/17/08 at 05:18:00

Mine has an occasional issue where it does the same thing yours did.  I have to fiddle with the kill switch to get it into exactly the right position, then it will start.  I think it may be dirty contacts in the switch.  I just have not had it apart to clean them yet.  I find that when it does that, I can hold down the starter button and move the kill switch just a little towards off.  It will usually fire right up then.

The first time it did it I was 250 miles from home in the middle of nowhere.  Talk about unnerving...

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #39 - 04/17/08 at 06:23:10

Thank you Steely I will try to get my long suffering partner to check the connections and clean the contacts. I just hope it dont happen to me when im that far away from home, my bottom lip wont quiver, I would be a sobbing heap on the floor. Im crap with stuff like that, Im very easy to upset when it comes to problems with that i cant fix and being too far from home. Bit of a whimp really.

Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.