Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod? (Read 669 times)
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Re: Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod?
Reply #15 - 04/09/08 at 14:49:02

The Dying might come from the vacuum petcock not working well. If it runs un Pri then that could be the problem unless you don't have anough gass in the tank. Make sure oil level is in the middle or slightly above in the sight glass with the bike upright on level surface(Check this by putting bike in 1st gear so it will not roll, get on right side on knee while holding bike upright with right hand and handbrake applied)
Is vibration at speed (Tire imbalance) or also when you just rev it while standing still?
Noise? Checked your valve clearance lately?
Also do not shift into First unless almost to a stop, like  below 3mph.
Checked the timing gear tentioner?

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #16 - 04/09/08 at 15:07:03

In my experience with my Savage, there should not be much vibration at all when it is right.  I do not know what they do for a MOT inspection, but tire air pressure is an easy and good first check, then the 4 long bolts that clamp the engine in the frame need to be checked along with the 3 in the head stay under the gas tank. If any are incorrectly torqued it will allow too much vibration. An out of round or out of balance tire will cause bar and front end vibration.  Let us know if you find any of the above as a problem then we will continue the list. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 04/09/08 at 16:02:58

Could be a  loose spoke or two in the front wheel, just take a small piece of wood and tap each spoke. Listen for a twange, if you get a dull clunk you have a loose spoke.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 04/09/08 at 16:11:15

Other thoughts, besides of course, Welcome.  What was your previous ride?  The Savage/ LS40 is NOT for the sports bike headset.  This is a lazy boy, slow easy shifts up through the range at about 10 mph intervals. if you are doing a lot of engine braking by downshifting, don't.  On sport bikes, engine braking is part of the fun; but the Savage will get confused.  Vibration is a part of one cylinder bikes, so indeed see if it happens throughout the throttle range and then when moving..keep us informed and good luck, by the way how many miles on the beastie? Wink

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 04/09/08 at 17:19:21

I agree with Max But when you check the engine mount bolts back them out first. They feel tight but the locktite is stopping you from getting the correct feel. Back them out one at a time clean use fresh locktite and retorque to spec. I have also seen a vibration from the exhaust.
loosen the bolt at the frame the clamp at the headpipe and the engine flange. move the head pipe arround with your hands then retorque starting at the engine and working down the system to the frame mount. Your just trying to realine the exhaust system. And yes they do have some vibration one cylinder engines come with that option at no ex. charge. The more you ride it the more you get the feel.You will find many concerns are normal.(The key word was many)
Ride on Ride Safe
Viper

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/09/08 at 20:23:41

I look at is as having one of these with wheels...

The vibrating belt, not that handsome woman.

I've lost five pounds already! Wink

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 04/09/08 at 20:52:24

jkhulon73 wrote on 04/09/08 at 20:23:41:
I look at is as having one of these with wheels...

http://www.starling-fitness.com/wp-content/uploads/mueller-exerciser-belt-193...

The vibrating belt, not that handsome woman.

I've lost five pounds already! Wink

Well,you said you wanted to lose a few pounds.... Maybe the Savage is just accomodating your wish Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 04/09/08 at 21:16:14

I'm wondering if you have a owners manual! Do you and did you read over it good ?
But it shouldnt "normally" die or choke down unless youre out of gas.......right guys??

And are there any problems with wrong grade of gas? Undecided That I'm not sure about!

Hopefully it's something simple Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #23 - 04/09/08 at 22:45:34

The problem with dying has dissapeared after cleaning carb and fuel lines and filters but thank you for your suggestions for this. I havent read the owners manual for two reasons, 1 the manual I was given with the bike is for older models and i have already identified many differences between the two and I am SOOOOOOOOOOO not technical minded so wouldnt undersatnd what I was reading.
The bike I had before this was a Honda CM125 so im not into sports bikes but she was quite an old bike and had a lot of clowns for owners that messed with bits that in my opinion shouldnt have been touched unless you had a degree. Every one has given good suggestions which I will get someone who understands to check for me and I will keep you up dated. It could well be that I am looking too hard for problems and ultimatly finding them.  Kiss

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #24 - 04/09/08 at 23:18:41

from the guys on NPR's car talk:

"By "lugging," we mean that the engine is struggling to accelerate. How would you know it's struggling? Because when you step on the gas to accelerate, it doesn't go faster. It might bog down, it might buck, it might lurch. And you might get noises from the engine, like pinging or knocking. If any of those things are happening, you're going too slowly to be in fifth gear, and you need to downshift."

So, if your vibration is really intense when you shift up and smoothes out when you roll on the throttle, it might be because you're shifting too early. for example, if your engine speed drops below your idle speed when you shift up, you're almost definitely lugging the engine. I'm not sure if thats the problem though.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #25 - 04/13/08 at 00:38:45

Hello,
Just thought i would update you all on the latest saga.
Being a very untechnical person I didnt have a clue where to start looking for the problem or the oil or the right pressure in the tyres.
Asked my partner to go save the day and look for me.
He moaned bitterly saying there was nothing wrong with the bike and it was in my head, but i managed to nag enough for him to go and check for me muttering that the oil and everything was okay as he went through the door.
15 minutes later he was back looking rather sheepish, the oil was so low that when refilled she managed to swallow the best part of 4 liters (and a new filter) and the frount tyre only had 11 PSI in it and the back only had 20 PSI which apparentlly wasnt enough.
I havent taken her out since her top yet so dont know if this has solved the problem but I have a strong feeling that I wont be having problems any more.
Will let you all Know.
Thanks for the info everyone with out it i wouldnt have known what to nag him to check.
I know i appear a little dizzy but me and technical stuff dont mix. Grin

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #26 - 04/13/08 at 01:10:33

mentaka wrote on 04/13/08 at 00:38:45:
...she managed to swallow the best part of 4 liters... 

4 litres would be far too much. She only needs 2 litres when you do an oil and filter change.

If he has put in 4 litres you will need to drain some out. Use the sight glass (bottom of engine on right side) to check the level.

There is a good article in the tech section - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099572561

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 04/13/08 at 03:55:49

Mentaka you don't appear dizzy to me at all I have three daughters. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #28 - 04/13/08 at 05:51:01

Whoa,do what PhilM said,drain out about 2 litres.When you check the oil the bike has to be straight up,and down.NOT on the sidestand.If you run it like that you will have a serious mess or worse.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #29 - 04/13/08 at 23:07:47

The manual says that she will take more than 2 litres, so why not fill her up to the max?
I dont mean to question your knowledge but I dont understand.
What would happen if I ran her with too much oil in? Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I killing my bike or am I being paraniod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.