Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New carb, engine dying when warm? (Read 153 times)
Malcontent
YaBB Newbies

You know I don't
like to think.

Cedar Park, TX
New carb, engine dying when warm?
04/07/08 at 18:23:45

I picked up my new-to-me 01 Savage at a dealership today.  It was a trade-in for them, most likely toward a Yamaha (they mostly sell Yamaha and Kawasaki) and was not willing to crank when I first checked it out.  Made a deal to buy it CHEAP if they got it running properly and put new tires on it.

They had to put on a new carb, as there was a problem with the old one that they said would take too much time to fix, so they replaced it.

It cranked fine, rode fine, went a good 20 miles (half on highway) and then started cutting out.  Restarting worked every time until about 7-10 more miles of residential driving when it cut out and would not restart.  Fortunately, it was a short walk to the house so I pushed it the rest of the way.

It tried to start when warmish, turned over a few times, cut back out.

I'm new to motorcycles but more than willing to pick up a wrench.  

Figure they just didn't tune it right when they put on the new carb?  Something else I should poke at?  As soon as I decided on a Savage, I picked up the Clymer manual on CD and Mr. Savage's photo CD, so I have reference material handy.

« Last Edit: 04/08/08 at 09:59:53 by Savage_Rob »  
Malcontent steedstoaster   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: New carb, engine dying when warm?
Reply #1 - 04/07/08 at 18:37:50

A few guesses:
1) Fuel line/tank is clogged or perhaps water in the fuel line.
   - Drain the tank, put in gas you can trust. Try running with the petc0rk of "PRI".
2) Air filter dirty.
3) Plug fouled or wet.

When I get a new machine, I drain the gas and oil and stare at it for about 30 minutes. Especially the oil. I dont trust previous owners judgement when it comes to selecting or changing oil or properly storing the bike in winter.

For dang near every used bike sold, there's often a  story about old rusted, varnished gas in the tank. An 01 is about 7 years old, no telling how long it sat with gas in the tank.

Previous owner can't be trusted - now that you have it home, give a real good once over.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Malcontent
YaBB Newbies

You know I don't
like to think.

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #2 - 04/07/08 at 18:55:52

It is claimed (note claimed) by the dealership that it has a new plug, new air filter, new fuel filter, new fuel, new oil.

Just noticed that it will crank cold and run until I put it into gear, then it dies.  No clue on that one.

I'll give it a thorough once over.  Good advice.  I trust dealerships about as far as I can throw them.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/07/08 at 19:00:04

Kickstand up?

There are a few interlocks to prevent newbies from lauching the bike upon start.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 04/07/08 at 19:15:45

try running it in prime

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 04/07/08 at 19:20:01

Try upping the idle RPM first since it's the easiest thing to do.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 04/08/08 at 04:41:59

Try the easy stuff first.

One: turn up the idle.  Most people like to tune their engines to have that classic thump-thump-thump.  On a big single like the Savage, you need your engine to sound more like a lawn tractor at idle.  The idle speed has gor to be over 1000rpm.

Two: Check the vacuum line.  From the bottom of the petcock (on the left rear side of the tank) there are 2 hoses.  One hose is larger and goes to the left side of the carb (below the choke knob).  This is the fuel line.  The other hose (it shouid be wrapped in a steel coil) is smaller, and goes from the petcock to the middle right side of the carb.  This is your vacuum feed.  Since the shop you bought it from doesn't sell Suzukis, perhaps they didn't install the carb correctly.  The way you tell is start the bike and ride with the petcock in the 'PRI' position.  This is the priming position and fuel should flow regardless of vacuum pressure.   If it runs well on 'PRI' but doesn't at either 'ON' or 'RES', then you have a vacuum problem.  Easy fix.  Get a length of fuel hose from the autoparts store and replace it.  It takes less than 30 seconds...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Malcontent
YaBB Newbies

You know I don't
like to think.

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #7 - 04/09/08 at 21:45:02

I finally got some time to mess with it tonight, and while I didn't have a chance to get it out on open road with some high RPMs, I'm pretty darn sure the idle adjustment was all it needed.  I don't have a portable tach or anything and just did it by ear, but now it seems much happier.  If it needs more than the idle adjusted, I'll just refer back to the suggestions made in this thread.

As for it dying when I popped it into gear, yeah, the kickstand was down.  Stupid me.

Thanks to everyone who responded - My wife was concerned that this  bike was going to be a money pit when she saw me pushing it up the street.  Now she's happy that it was something so simple.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/09/08 at 22:14:31

Hey, we have all stalled our bikes by clicking into gear with the kickstand down -- don't feel like you are abbynormal, we have ALL done that.  We have all also had the terrible "mysterious dead bike syndrome" when the kill switch had gotten bumped a bit by accident too.  Better yet is the "What the F__K!??" syndrome caused by turning the ignition switch the wrong way into ACCESSORY power position.

All of us ... all  (give it time, you'll get there)

Wait until you try to park the bike in the Hardee's parking lot having forgot to PUT the side stand down -- then you have permission to feel stupid as you roll around on the pavement.

Got my official NCIS ??ABBY??normal tee shirt sent to me for that one.

Grin

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 04/09/08 at 22:20:18

PS

There is a good reason to want to keep your idle RPM over 1,000 RPM.

You have precision reamed aluminum head bearings carrying your camshaft that need oil pressure all the time or you can harm the soft aluminum reamed surfaces.  Super low sub-1,000 RPM idle (over time) can mean too low oil pressure for too long .... verry bad news if that happens to them head bearings.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Malcontent
YaBB Newbies

You know I don't
like to think.

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #10 - 05/22/08 at 11:25:41

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I felt I should reply to my own problem now that it's 100% solved.

1.  Idle adjustment was low, as I mentioned.  WAY low.  I did it by ear and still ended up around 900.  After searching for a cheap tach that would be ok on a single cylinder, a pal sent me a link for a good one.  I bought a mini-tach for $35 or so and got the idle up to 1100RPM and it is much happier.

2.  Needed a minor tuning adjustment due to backfires.  I used Lancer's simple tuning instructions.  No more backfires.

Runs like a champ - so well, in fact, that I've not posted my results due to enjoying it too much.

I thank you all for saving me a ton of time and trouble.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:32:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New carb, engine dying when warm?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.