Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw. (Read 377 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw.
Reply #15 - 04/10/08 at 07:17:49

Okay, I was up till midnight but I got the new pilot jet in there.  Drastic improvement, but I'm still not there yet.  I have what is probably a silly question.  Will it backfire if I've turned the idle mixture screw out too far just like it will if it's not out far enough?  I know that I'm looking for the sweet spot combination between the idle speed and the idle mixture but I'm not sure what direction to go?

Yes I've read Lancer's tuning guide and LOTS of other threads on tuning the carb, but I'm still having a little trouble getting it.  I write computer software all week long and it's probably the only thing in the world that I do well.  I've come a looooong way in the past few months but I'm still in the Motorcycle Maintenance for Dummies category. ha

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 04/10/08 at 10:27:10

There are two main things that can cuase back fire.   Lean fuel air mixture and a leaking exhaust.   It seems you have been concentrating on the mixture .

To check for exhaust leaks,  get a candle, light it and hold the flame up to all the exhaust joints with engine running.   The flame should not be moved, either blown away from or pulled into the joint.  

It could get pulled into the joint because of .....   (see me scratching head again) venturi effect  or is it Bernoulli's principle.....  .   Anyway,  a leak will introduce air where is shouldn't be and the results can be a backfire also.

Check for the leak then get back to us.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #17 - 04/10/08 at 10:38:50

You're right, I have concentrated almost entirely on the mixture.  We had to remove the exhaust to put on the new muffler so we certainly could have sprung a leak.  Rain this afternoon so I'll have to check it tonight or tomorrow.  Hopefully I won't blow myself up with that candle next to the exhaust.  Shocked

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 04/10/08 at 13:41:18

rpgpgmr wrote on 04/10/08 at 10:38:50:
 Hopefully I won't blow myself up with that candle next to the exhaust.  Shocked

Depends how rich you made it....  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #19 - 04/10/08 at 21:29:48

Well you were right.  I had an exhaust leak.  When we installed the new pipe we snugged the head pipe while we got the muffler situated.  Yep, we forgot to tighten the head pipe.  Embarrassed  Unbelievable!  Oh well, I openly admit what a moron I am.  After fixing the #@%$ exhaust leak, I used Lancer's tuning guide and now I'm dialed in.  I still get some burbling & crackling on sharp decelarations using the engine, but from what I've read that's normal.  Thanks for the tip(s)!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 04/10/08 at 21:49:23

Good Job finding it! and welcome to the moron club - my best one (I think Undecided) was when I changed out the leaking head plug on the '95 and kinked the head breather tube put'n it back on - full twist smooth cutoff any air out of the head - well this ran the crankcase PSI up enough to push oil up the speed-o-meter cable to the speed-o-meter itself and leak back down the spring coil - covering me and anything behind me with oil - yehaaaaaa

oh but we should really have a moron hall of fame - while yours is goofy, and mine was just dam dumb -

how about this pair from a couple of esteemed members (who shall go unnamed by me  Cheesy )
one was running a grinder next to a battery and blew it clean up - the other changed the oil and didn't put any back! - so relax there's better morons around!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #21 - 04/11/08 at 02:27:39

Reelthing wrote on 04/10/08 at 21:49:23:
Good Job finding it! and welcome to the moron club -
oh but we should really have a moron hall of fame - Cheesy

As per your suggestion started in the Cafe

THE MORON HALL OF FAME

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #22 - 04/11/08 at 05:43:17

The exploding battery would have been the end of my diy days!  I take moments like that as road signs down the highway of life.  When I'm out riding and I nearly wreck or lay it down (or are run off the road by somebody on a cell phone!), I turn around and head home.  I say to myself, "Yep, almost died.  Let's go home." Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:08:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.