Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw. (Read 377 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw.
04/07/08 at 13:51:26

Okay, over the weekend I did some tinkering.  I re-jetted from 145 up to 155, swapped the stock pipe out for a screamin' eagle style, and replaced the white spacer with two 4mm washers.   I've still got a backfire and I think it's due to my idle mixture.  The brass plug is still covering the screw and I'm trying to figure out how best to get it off?  Anybody got a quick and easy trick for it?

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw.
Reply #1 - 04/07/08 at 13:58:20

Quite simple really
Center drill the plug (make sure you got the right one)
Size the drill any wood or sheet metal screw smaller than the plug (yeah, the plug is not meant to eaten or stuck in eye either)
try not to drill thru the pilot jet screw or boogger up the slot.
thread screw into plug and yank whole heartedly.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/07/08 at 19:27:29

I took my dremel with cutoff wheel, and put a goove on one side.  It allowed me to get behind the plug and pop it out.  

Reason I did this.... I still have a factory plug..... and if our wonderful EPA changes laws (no tampering), I'm ready.

« Last Edit: 04/09/08 at 02:58:57 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/07/08 at 19:50:34

Goo0d move T-Mack.
If you cant do what T did, & will use a drill, put tape around the drill bit, several wraps, about 1/8th back from the end, so the drill bit cant hit the screw in there. It's soft & easy to mess up. Still, low pressure on the drill, slow & easy, cuz messin up will take a lot more time to UNmess than its worth.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #4 - 04/08/08 at 08:38:30

Verslagen1,
   You are da man!  Drilled it out (put tape at the 1/8 mark so I didn't #$%@ it up), put a screw in it, and yanked it out.  I put a cutting wheel on my Dremel like T Mac and thought that might be easier, but it was a bad angle for someone who doesn't get along very well with power tools.  The backfire on shifting is GONE.  I still have a little backfire on the down-shifting so I've taken another 1/2 turn (2 turns out total).  It's just minor tweaking from here.  Thanks guys!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 04/08/08 at 10:43:37

I should say that I slotted the carb while it was off the bike.   remember, I got the bike with the engine in pieces....  was easy to do then.

« Last Edit: 04/09/08 at 02:59:20 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #6 - 04/08/08 at 13:42:10

When I re-jetted, I only changed the main jet (from 145 up to 155).  I didn't mess with the pilot jet.  I think the '05 comes stock with a 47.5 pilot jet.  Lancer sent me a 55 pilot and I'm wondering if I should have put that in?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/08/08 at 14:10:10

you should really only need to change the pilot one size up if you close to or over 3 turns out on the mixture screw - with it this far out the mixture screw really isn't doing anything - so the idea is to the pilotjet size and close the mixture screw back to say 1 turn out and tune it from there

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #8 - 04/08/08 at 16:49:21

Yea, I've been testing all evening.  I'm out to 3 turns and still can't get it to stop backfiring when using the engine to decelerate.  However, NO backfiring during shifting.  I was wrong about the size of the pilot jet for my '05.  Since '95 they have been putting a 52.5 pilot jet in there.  I bought Lancer's JETSET which includes a 55 pilot jet which is what I think I'm gonna drop in later this week.

I noticed in the repair manual that back in the 80's they used a 55 main jet and a 47.5 pilot jet.  Wonder if there's a reason they went down a size instead of up??

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/08/08 at 17:15:45

EPA changes - the mid 80's carbs are a good bit different - needle and several jets - they were not lean like the '95+ bikes

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #10 - 04/09/08 at 00:26:08

Reelthing wrote on 04/08/08 at 17:15:45:
EPA changes - the mid 80's carbs are a good bit different - needle and several jets - they were not lean like the '95+ bikes
It seems the 90's bikes were put together a little differently for the European market.  The jets on my '95 didn't seem to have any witness marks in the screwdriver slots which usually suggest home tinkering, so what I found in there was probably standard for UK (and I guess other European) regulations.  It had a 55 main and 47.5 pilot, the needle was set to the middle of three grooves but there was no spacer - that must have been removed by a previous owner (I'm the 8th and it's only covered 8000 miles!!).
Despite having the richer jet and adjustable needle, it still had a blanking plug over the idle mixture screw.

As our emission regulations were a lot more lax then, and the rest of the bike's engine specs are identical from the 80s to present, it has suggest that Suzuki think you need a 55 main even in a totally standard bike.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 04/09/08 at 00:53:36

have you tried lancer's carb tuning guide? seems like youre just turning out and out, but maybe you should try finding that happy middle and deciding from there if you need to move up a jet or look elsewhere for your backfire problem (exhaust?).

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/09/08 at 07:03:29

KwakNut wrote on 04/09/08 at 00:26:08:
Reelthing wrote on 04/08/08 at 17:15:45:
It seems the 90's bikes were put together a little differently for the European market.  The jets on my '95 didn't seem to have any witness marks in the screwdriver slots which usually suggest home tinkering, so what I found in there was probably standard for UK (and I guess other European) regulations.  It had a 55 main and 47.5 pilot, the needle was set to the middle of three grooves but there was no spacer - that must have been removed by a previous owner (I'm the 8th and it's only covered 8000 miles!!).
Despite having the richer jet and adjustable needle, it still had a blanking plug over the idle mixture screw.

As our emission regulations were a lot more lax then, and the rest of the bike's engine specs are identical from the 80s to present, it has suggest that Suzuki think you need a 55 main even in a totally standard bike.

Hope you mean 155 mainjet

in the mikuni spec sheets - it looks like the taper or rather the length before the taper begins was different as well pre-95 US -

4 different needles seem to have been used in the bs40 on the savage:

5c16 3 slots L 56.90mm D1 3.0mm K1 15.7mm
5c17 1 slots L 56.90mm D1 3.0mm K1 15.7mm
5c39 1 slots L 56.90mm D1 3.0mm K1 15.5mm
5c40 3 slots L 56.90mm D1 3.0mm K1 15.5mm

If you folks with a 3 slot needle get a chance could you examine the
needle and see which is stamped on it 5C16 or 5C40

if you look it over be sure it's a mikuni needle - should have their
mark on it right before the type stamp - their mark is a square with
a smaller square in it's corner - also a good way to tell if you have
a real mikuni jet or some knock off stuff that may or may not be the
size it claims

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #13 - 04/09/08 at 08:50:46

Reelthing wrote on 04/09/08 at 07:03:29:
Hope you mean 155 mainjet

in the mikuni spec sheets - it looks like the taper or rather the length before the taper begins was different as well pre-95 US -  
Yes, 155.

Mine was definitely a Mikuni needle, pretty sure it's the 5C16 but I'd have to check when I get home at the weekend (I wrote it down in my manual).

Useful info on the needles, by the way!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #14 - 04/09/08 at 10:05:53

Yes, Lancer's tuning guide is what I used to tune it.  I just can't find a happy median with the idle mixture.  I'm gonna drop in the 55 pilot (hopefully this evening) and use Lancer's guidelines again.  I'm new to being my own mechanic so its been slow and painful.  One way or another, I'm gonna get my Thumper straightened out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:31:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing brass plug over idle mixture screw.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.