Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bought it! (Read 382 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Bought it!
04/05/08 at 21:31:43

Today I bought the 04 Savage I've been talking yours ears off for the last 2 months about.  I decided it would be a good bike for what I want to do with it and the price was too good to pass up.  I've ridden it for 30 minutes twice before buying it and while it felt a little small it didn't feel too bad.  I though will all the tips I've read here I should be able to get it in comfortable riding condition.  I was a bit apprehensive about the vibration  at higher speeds.  I had to ride it 40 miles to get home.  I was pleasantly surprised how quick the bike was and it had no trouble going 70.  Real world roads are a lot different than the roads in a senior community though!  The bumps on real roads are much bigger and more frequent.  By the time I got home my back was killing me from all the bumps.  Also my legs were feeling cramped.  I will buy the forward control plates from Ed next week!  I need to decide which way to go regarding the comfort issue.  Maybe a new seat, maybe new shocks.  

The only drama I had was when I got close to home I took it up to 75 mph.  I had the throttle fully open.  After a minute of this the bike lost power and the engine shut off.  I coasted to the shoulder and tried to start it.  It wouldn't start so I turned it to reserve.  After a few seconds it started up and ran fine.  I have put 70 miles on the bike and my father though he only put 20 or so on last fall.  When I got the gas station it took 2.1 gallons of gas.  So either he rode it more on that tank than he thought or in the winter it got really crappy gas mileage. (If you can call 35 mpg crappy!)

I spent the night getting the Leatherlyke bags installed.  Not a fun process.  The whole backrest and supports had to come off.  I got the turn signals mounted but not wired yet.  The relocation bracket has the  signals secured with the mounting screw coming down from the top.  That means the drain hole is on the top!  Also the angle of the lights in not quite right.  I can probably bend the bar to fix that.

I'll probably not ride it a lot until I get the comfort issues resolved.  It wasn't bad, but I need to get the back comfort fixed.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Bought it!
Reply #1 - 04/05/08 at 21:37:57

Now that you finally made the decision and bought it, you can use all the little tips and tricks on this site to make it much more comfy. and yes, 35mpg on this bike is crappy when standard is mid to high 50s mpg. But that too can be remedied very easily.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 04/06/08 at 00:37:57

the seat issue has been discussed at length. i lean towards it's saddle time that makes it more comfortable. the more you ride, but more accoustomed your butt becomes to the seat.  tank capacity and seat comfort are tied together on the savage, by the time you need to fill up on a trip, it's time to get off and give the butt a rest.  the best thing to do with the seat is lifting the front with spacers. check tech section for details.

enjoy the new savage.
sluggo.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 04/06/08 at 04:45:19

i'm 5'9" and mine has always felt cramped. alot of guys here are taller and say its fine. i don't see it. as far as comfort, i ride a rigid chopper most of the time and my savage feels like a riding on a cloud. get the Ed L. plates you wont regret it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 04/06/08 at 08:52:12

Keithert,
 Congrat's.  Your posts in the last few weeks sounded like you were leaning towards the LS650.

As for bumps,  The shocks are adjustable.  Check that.  Also check tire pressure.  

As for MPG.....  You were test riding the bike,  you were probably not riding it for economy.   Also I've been told air cooled engines will get slight less MPG in cooler weather.  My last two tanks were 43 MPG and 48 MPG.  But,  it's been cold ...  so when I got out the days it got warm enough I had a tendency to ride to get rid of cabin fever..  Grin ...   and not for economy.  My best was 54 MPG, but ...  I still did some stress relief riding on the way home fm work on that tank.

T.Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - 04/06/08 at 14:11:17

The tire pressure was 22 so I pumped them up to 30.  Most of my other bikes I've kept around 40 but those were much larger bikes.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 04/06/08 at 14:47:20

Keith_T wrote on 04/06/08 at 14:11:17:
The tire pressure was 22 so I pumped them up to 30.  Most of my other bikes I've kept around 40 but those were much larger bikes.

Should be ok,  sticker on my '01 says 29 frnt, rear 33 to 36, solo or double up.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 04/06/08 at 14:54:37

Congrats on buying the Savage ... good choice! As for fuel milage, I Rode my '03 up here in Newfoundland in temps ranging from 35degF to 80degF and consistantly averaged 50mpg ... but I not an agressive Rider either ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/06/08 at 16:04:22

I just installed a new gel seat on an 07 for my passenger and it didn't seem any better for me (or her), maybe a little worse. Butt hurt after abour 45 minutes.

This was about the same situation on my '97. For that, I read many posts and bought an Airhawk cushion (about $150?). The Airhawk increased comfortable ride time to 7 hours, plus I use it on long airplane or car rides.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 04/06/08 at 17:13:52

That seat might get better when broken in .I know the stock seat  got better after about 700-800 miles

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #10 - 04/06/08 at 17:44:30

Listen up
I did the seat mod as the guys told me and it made the bike ride really enjoyable. These thumper guys can and will help you through any problems you'll have. Good people

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #11 - 04/06/08 at 19:19:27

Here's a couple pics

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 04/07/08 at 05:17:04

Definately do the seat lift mod (costs about 3 bucks at the hardware store).   That changes the riding position dramatically and keeps you from slouching.  *(really helps with the lower back/monkey butt issues)

As for the shocks, get a set of progressive suspension shocks.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Seriously, it feels like a completely different bike for less than $225.00!

EdL plates will let you stretch out and get comfortable.

I really like the look of the leatherlyke bags....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #13 - 04/11/08 at 23:38:21

As far as your full-throttle stall - that can be dangerous and extremely unnerving at the least.  Check the vacuum hose to the petc0ck.  I went through that with my 2003.  I love my Savage, but I think that petc0ck is a design nightmare.  Search the site for "vacuum hose", etc.  That horrible design was my only disappointment with my bike.  A 4 year-old bike should not be stalling out at full throttle.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #14 - 04/13/08 at 07:00:21

J Mac wrote on 04/11/08 at 23:38:21:
As far as your full-throttle stall - that can be dangerous and extremely unnerving at the least.

I thought that the gas level just went below the run position on the petcock.  I'll have to look into the vacuum hose issue.  If it ever gets warm enough the ride here again that is.  The weekend I bought the bike was in the 60's.  It been cloudy and in the 40's since then.  What's with this year!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:21:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought it!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.