Send Topic Print
exhaust wrap questions (Read 371 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
exhaust wrap questions
04/03/08 at 17:39:16

I found that with exhaust wrap on, the bike is lean again.  Is this explained by the wrap?

Also, I noticed it getting pretty hot down there.  Normal?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: exhaust wrap questions
Reply #1 - 04/04/08 at 07:13:29

if i understand the theory the wrap keeps the heat in the pipe to help expell the gasses at a higher velocity..could cause too lean??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 04/04/08 at 07:17:37

« Last Edit: 10/07/08 at 15:34:14 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/04/08 at 08:10:39

thumperclone wrote on 04/04/08 at 07:13:29:
if i understand the theory the wrap keeps the heat in the pipe to help expell the gasses at a higher velocity..could cause too lean??

The gas is hotter to the exit, it doesn't condense as much.  I would think that this would cause more backpressure.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/04/08 at 09:33:31

My bet is that, in the process of wrapping the exhaust, something got loosened up and you have a leak.  You'll get some good shotgun blasts and popping from an exhaust leak.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/04/08 at 10:25:07

verslagen1 wrote on 04/04/08 at 08:10:39:
thumperclone wrote on 04/04/08 at 07:13:29:

The gas is hotter to the exit, it doesn't condense as much.  I would think that this would cause more backpressure.

spose to reduce the back pressure - keep the exit gas hotter so it is less dense for the gas further up the pipe to have to push against - in actually use on underhood header pipes it does help but for the most part by lower the underhood temp a great deal - on our engines sure seems it would only be a very minor difference - double wall pipe and all

I'd bet on a leak also - the crush seal at the head/headpipe doesn't hold up too well to several R/Rs

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/04/08 at 19:57:40

The most common listed benefit of the wrap is that the hotter exhaust gas (more heat held inside pipe)  will exit at a higher velocity, enabling more fuel/air mix to enter the cylinder more quickly, and thereby producing more power in a given amount of time.
That is the claim made by the makers of the wrap.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/04/08 at 20:29:09

LANCER wrote on 04/04/08 at 19:57:40:
The most common listed benefit of the wrap is that the hotter exhaust gas (more heat held inside pipe)  will exit at a higher velocity, enabling more fuel/air mix to enter the cylinder more quickly, and thereby producing more power in a given amount of time.
That is the claim made by the makers of the wrap.
thats what i ment TY lancer!!! Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 04/05/08 at 01:43:59

With the wrap on, the exhaust backfires MORE on decell and LESS on shutdown. I would assume that the fact that the wrap making you run leaner by being a more free-flowing exhaust explains the first part. The second part would probably be explained by the fact that the wrap is physically covering the header-exhaust joint, which was never properly secured and surely leaky, reducing back pressure at shutdown.

So, to totally eliminate the shutdown backfire, which is significantly improved, I'd say fix the exhaust-header joint (though the little woof it makes now is certainly livable). To fix the backfire while riding, move up a jet.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/05/08 at 02:04:35

I just think it looks cool. And we all know 'cool' outweighs any pro or con.  Wink

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 04/05/08 at 05:10:08

i had it on my chopper and it did look cool for awhile, but its been over done to death. kinda like flat black paint.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 04/07/08 at 12:51:39

rigidchop wrote on 04/05/08 at 05:10:08:
i had it on my chopper and it did look cool for awhile, but its been over done to death. kinda like flat black paint.

I went with black ceramic.  The flat black look may be overdone but I like it.  The ceramic really cuts down on the radiant heat from the pipe too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 04/07/08 at 16:46:50

Yes, hotter exhaust gas flows faster.  The faster a gas flows for a given mass, the lower the pressure...

Now, how much the wrap increases heat is hard to say, but I noticed the same thing, bike seemed to run more lean when I put exhaust wrap on with no other changes.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 04/07/08 at 16:47:35

BTW, my pipe started turning blue and gold after I put the exhaust wrap on...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 04/07/08 at 18:08:39

I definitely have less "kaboom" when I turn the bike off, so the wrap helps prevent air from being sucked in, but its also leaner.  I used to have the idle screw about 2.5 turns out and it was a little rich, now its pushing 3 and popping occasionally on downshift

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust wrap questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.