Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: TOP Speed
Reply #30 - 04/04/08 at 07:47:15

Gary On A Savage wrote on 04/03/08 at 19:59:23:
Had mine up to 87 (on the bicycle speedo which is acurate) on I-5 in Central California.  WOT and wishin' I had more.  The traffic was so fast I was getting passed like I was standing still.  The thought going through my head was "This is nuts!  I must be out of my mind!" The wind from the trucks was massive, but actually not that unmanagable once you got used to it.  I weighed in at 185 and had a full windshield and saddlebags which drug it down in speed.
Finally, someone that lives in a state like mine, and feels the same way I do on the "I" roads. I been riding the interestate for 43 years and never felt as unsafe riding on the Interstate as I do on the Savage. It is nuts being a road hazard. I won't run a bike at top rpm just to not get run over from behind, so the Savage is used for back roads.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #31 - 04/04/08 at 07:49:08

Last fall I was on the other super slab here (US-22) which has no rain grooves.  There was a world of difference........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #32 - 04/04/08 at 11:12:59

Hutch wrote on 04/04/08 at 07:47:15:
Had mine up to 87 (on the bicycle speedo which is acurate) on I-5 in Central California.  WOT and wishin' I had more.  The traffic was so fast I was getting passed like I was standing still.  The thought going through my head was "This is nuts!  I must be out of my mind!" The wind from the trucks was massive, but actually not that unmanagable once you got used to it.  I weighed in at 185 and had a full windshield and saddlebags which drug it down in speed.
Finally, someone that lives in a state like mine, and feels the same way I do on the "I" roads. I been riding the interestate for 43 years and never felt as unsafe riding on the Interstate as I do on the Savage. It is nuts being a road hazard. I won't run a bike at top rpm just to not get run over from behind, so the Savage is used for back roads.   Hutch

Hutch, that stretch of road runs through the "barren" area of Central California, from Sacramento to south of Bakersfield where it meets Hiway 99.  It's the trucker/traveler route to bypass the main towns on Hiway 99 and goes through almost no cities.  It's a well known fact that you do not drive that stretch of road UNLESS you can exceed the posted speed limit of 70.  For the rest of the state, I've had no problems staying or exceeding the traffic on the Interstates.  But that stretch of road is a definite "challenge".  (It's also a road know for it's fatalities)

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #33 - 04/04/08 at 11:37:17

Gary On A Savage wrote on 04/04/08 at 11:12:59:
Hutch wrote on 04/04/08 at 07:47:15:

Hutch, that stretch of road runs through the "barren" area of Central California, from Sacramento to south of Bakersfield where it meets Hiway 99.  It's the trucker/traveler route to bypass the main towns on Hiway 99 and goes through almost no cities.  It's a well known fact that you do not drive that stretch of road UNLESS you can exceed the posted speed limit of 70.  For the rest of the state, I've had no problems staying or exceeding the traffic on the Interstates.  But that stretch of road is a definite "challenge".  (It's also a road know for it's fatalities)
I-75 is the only interstate in Michigan that runs from the top  of Michigan, all the way to Florida. It is 2 miles from my house and the easiest way to get to any city north or south. We also have some "I" roads running east and west. They are full of the same crazies. The semi speed is clearly marked 55mph. Since the semis do 70 mph, the cars just tack on the extra 15 and do 80-85mph. You either keep up with the cars at 80-85, or get blown around by the semis doing 70 in the slow lane. No fun on a Savage.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:17:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TOP Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.