IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Re: TOP Speed
Reply #16 - 04/02/08 at 17:31:27

almost 100 indicated,92.99 on Sigma, 6400 rpm on ENM tach Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #17 - 04/02/08 at 17:44:40

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 04/02/08 at 16:29:45:
With all due respect, Hutch.  I'll let the traffic run as fast as they want to go.  That doesn't mean I have to follow suit...

If the speed limit is 65, I'll do 65.  If its 70, I'll do 70.  I'm in no hurry to get anywhere and I have no need for speeding tickets to rais my insurance rates.

If you CHOOSE to obey the speed limit, then the Savage does just fine.  If you feel you have to ride like a bat out of hell, then you need a different bike.  Simple as that.
With all respect Skrapiron, you would be a statistic if you rode 70mph on the interstate in Michigan. It would get you run over from behind, or cause an accident from all the people darting out into the fast lane to pass you. People here drive nuts on the freeway. A freind of mine is a police officer, and told me that they won't pull anyone over unless they are doing 15mph over the limit on the interstate. That is 85mph. They prefer to pick on people that restrict the flow of traffic. I don't like to drive that fast all the time on a bike, but it is better than getting killed for lack of speed or running a bike at high RPM for miles. I am not trying to start an arguement, and meant no disrespect. I am just telling you what it is like in Michigan.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #18 - 04/02/08 at 17:47:22

I hit an indicated 95 on a long straight once, tucked in as best as I could be with the buckhorns on my old '97. I had done a fair amount of chrome removal (less dead weight), had a more or less straight pipe, and the bigger main jet on the carb. Just dunno if I could've trusted the speedo to be 100% accurate.

Probably didn't hurt that I only weighed about 160 lbs at the time, either.  Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 04/02/08 at 19:14:45

I've been wondering if it would be possible to turn the right side piece of sheet metal, you know the one over the air box door into a air scoop and then remove the air box door. wouldn't do much around town but would think it will help the top end. Just set the top end of the carb up a little rich to take advantage of the extra air. Humm it's something that's been on my mind Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 04/02/08 at 19:57:54

using a bs40 carb or the one off the outboard?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 04/02/08 at 21:21:29

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 04/02/08 at 16:35:18:
Ken,  it doesn't help that your riding at altitudes approaching one mile, either....  Just like people, engines run out of breath too...

In your case, the stock 145 main jet may actually perform better than the bigger ones do for us at lower elevation.  This is where carb tuning becomes more of an art, than a science.  

i'm in the process right now trying to get it tuned.  i lost the topend when i opened the intake. i opened the Trapp and added a six more disks.  now to drop a size in the jet

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #22 - 04/02/08 at 21:36:54

85 on flat service no cars around.  I once went 90 last summer.  I was feeling b@llsy.  I don't think no one needs to travel over 70 on a motorcycle just my opinion though. I don't even go 70 in my car!

IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #23 - 04/02/08 at 21:55:56

I normally only cruise 65 to 70 but i had it up to 97 one time and could prolly still go a little faster but i was afraid i'd pass a trooper so i backed her back down .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #24 - 04/03/08 at 10:05:29

The other day it got up to 70 Deg's here (east-side PA), so took the bike out after work.   On a whime I hopped on the interstate (I-78).  Bike got to around 75-78 mph , with about 3/4 throttle going up a hill, .....well what we call hills here.  

Note, East-side Pa traffic doesn't really let you go WOT, which is ok because when I got it to about 78 the rain-grooves got a little wavey for about 100 yards    Shocked ......  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #25 - 04/03/08 at 14:51:23

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/03/08 at 10:05:29:
The other day it got up to 70 Deg's here (east-side PA), so took the bike out after work.   On a whime I hopped on the interstate (I-78).  Bike got to around 75-78 mph , with about 3/4 throttle going up a hill, .....well what we call hills here.  

Note, East-side Pa traffic doesn't really let you go WOT, which is ok because when I got it to about 78 the rain-grooves got a little wavey for about 100 yards    Shocked ......  

The little LS650 tends to get squirrelly pretty easily at speed. That was the biggest thing that scared me when I did my one real speed run on my Zook. Well, other than the chance of meeting a trooper in the other lane.  Wink

Touched the ton on my BMW K75 the other day. Never again. She ain't got much in the way of brakes (then again, none of them do!) and my eyesight isn't as good as I once thought it was. Mostly I'm a docile cruiser, and with the speedo on BMWs being out of whack as they're known to be, I'll do an indicated 65 in a 65 and watch people give me what ol' DW called "The Olivia Newton John move."

You know....blew-by-you. Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 04/03/08 at 15:17:52

Banger your right it does get pretty squirrelly.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 04/03/08 at 16:02:37

I have had mine up to 80-85 on the superslab for miles at a time.  Never had any problems.  That is about all she had though.  Mine has a MAC pipe and stock jetting and filter.  I had it up to 92 at one point, but I was moving slightly downhill with a bit of a tailwind.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #28 - 04/03/08 at 16:15:42

steely wrote on 04/03/08 at 16:02:37:
I have had mine up to 80-85 on the superslab for miles at a time.  Never had any problems.  That is about all she had though.  Mine has a MAC pipe and stock jetting and filter.  I had it up to 92 at one point, but I was moving slightly downhill with a bit of a tailwind.

You remind me when you say "stock filter," that I had a K&N when I did that speed run.

I was able to cruise the interstate at 80 without much incident, but trucks would blow me around too much for my liking. That, and the bike's relatively small frame size (I'm 6'3") was why I traded for the Beemer, since I mostly use a cycle for 70-plus commuting on the superslabs.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #29 - 04/03/08 at 19:59:23

Had mine up to 87 (on the bicycle speedo which is acurate) on I-5 in Central California.  WOT and wishin' I had more.  The traffic was so fast I was getting passed like I was standing still.  The thought going through my head was "This is nuts!  I must be out of my mind!" The wind from the trucks was massive, but actually not that unmanagable once you got used to it.  I weighed in at 185 and had a full windshield and saddlebags which drug it down in speed.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TOP Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!