Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
TOP Speed (Read 440 times)
maxreps
YaBB Newbies

I rock!

TOP Speed
04/02/08 at 08:03:43

Not everyone can or would want to but...    given the room to accelerate through all gears then hold the throttle wide open for a minimum 10 seconds. What is your top speed ever on relatively level ground ? (downhill obviously would skew results a bit depending on the grade)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: TOP Speed
Reply #1 - 04/02/08 at 09:31:59

Might take more than 10 secs to reach top speed, I'd say close to 90mph, 95 on a downhill, thin air, tucked, with a tailwind.  You can do the ton if drive off a cliff.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 04/02/08 at 10:48:14

It does the speedlimit for the interstate and still has throttle left over.  Thats fast enough for me.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #3 - 04/02/08 at 11:15:41

I would have to agree with skrapiron. I have driven on the highway at 70 with plenty of throttle left. Not sure of the top speed. I just know that it will go when I want it too.  Grin

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 04/02/08 at 11:37:16

tell ya what, I'm afraid to find out on mine...  boy mine shakes like crazy at any gear at WOT.  these things don't have rev limiters, so... I've had mine up to 7,7.5 k rpms in several different gears... scary, even on the freeway... those dashed lines get smaller and smaller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/02/08 at 11:47:14

86 uphill
90 on the flat is where my rev limiter kick in.

Want to go faster?  wrong bike.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 04/02/08 at 12:13:54

Strafford_Guy wrote on 04/02/08 at 11:15:41:
I would have to agree with skrapiron. I have driven on the highway at 70 with plenty of throttle left. Not sure of the top speed. I just know that it will go when I want it too.  Grin

Speed limits are 75 out here. Most people do 80. My Savage could do 85 tops on a good day, 75-80 any other day.

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 04/02/08 at 12:25:14

KenGLong wrote on 04/02/08 at 12:13:54:
Strafford_Guy wrote on 04/02/08 at 11:15:41:

Speed limits are 75 out here. Most people do 80. My Savage could do 85 tops on a good day, 75-80 any other day.

Ken in Albuquerque
I have a 14% chain conversion,with all the carb, filter and pipe mods for more top end, and hit about 88 laying on the tank. It will run the expressway, but it is still running the motor pretty hard at 75mph. I don't like running at peak rpm all day.Mine runs effortlessly at 60-65mph, but that will get you run over from behind, on the interstate, in the state of Michigan. The bike is really to light to play around semi's with.    Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 04/02/08 at 12:58:44

Topped out at 92mph twice tucked behind a small wind screen on a looong straight away. Don't think it can reach the ton with the way it is geared and carburated, the engine just runs out of steam. Flat out hard acceleration and WOT for 10 seconds might get me over 80 or at least close to it which is plenty fast enough for a light bike. Don't think they have any rev limiters on the engine except for a low performance carb and restricted exhaust. Still is nice to test the limits of the bike Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #9 - 04/02/08 at 13:15:18

Quote:
Don't think they have any rev limiters on the engine except for a low performance carb

yup, just like the 1bbl on a 318 mopar.  I put a brick on the gas pedal in park and couldn't blow one up, it just sat there and ran.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/02/08 at 13:25:26

Owners manual says it's okay to run it 100 MPH as soon as the break in is done, so, obviously, it's run 100. If you wanna argue with that, you just take it up with that Japanese guy who wrote the book.  Smiley

Mine has been real close to 90 on the speedo, but it takes a while & it requires the temp/humidity to be just right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maxreps
YaBB Newbies

I rock!

Reply #11 - 04/02/08 at 13:57:05

ok, thanks guys I was wondering because I've had mine to 92 twice but it is "done" at that point and I was wondering if there was a problem somewhere because it has very nice power all through normal speeds so I figured it'd kick a C note at least. But I am 6'  220  and was sitting upright behind the shield. So it's not like I was the most areodynamic thing around.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #12 - 04/02/08 at 15:52:24

It depends on your weight A LOT. I's 6'6" and 280 lbs. My 2001 Savage can BARELY hit 80 mph with WOT. I've only driven that fast once on a LONG straight away...just wanted to see how fast the thing would go.

In case you're wondering, why would such a big guy like me drive a small Savage? The truth is I don't feel cramped on the bike at all and don't want to get anything bigger because it will burn more fuel.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 04/02/08 at 16:29:45

With all due respect, Hutch.  I'll let the traffic run as fast as they want to go.  That doesn't mean I have to follow suit...

If the speed limit is 65, I'll do 65.  If its 70, I'll do 70.  I'm in no hurry to get anywhere and I have no need for speeding tickets to rais my insurance rates.

If you CHOOSE to obey the speed limit, then the Savage does just fine.  If you feel you have to ride like a bat out of hell, then you need a different bike.  Simple as that.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 04/02/08 at 16:35:18

Quote:

Ken in Albuquerque

Ken,  it doesn't help that your riding at altitudes approaching one mile, either....  Just like people, engines run out of breath too...

In your case, the stock 145 main jet may actually perform better than the bigger ones do for us at lower elevation.  This is where carb tuning becomes more of an art, than a science.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TOP Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.