Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loss of power on top end? (Read 76 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Loss of power on top end?
03/31/08 at 13:59:03

My wife's bike has developed an interesting quirk.  The idle was messed up by a damaged needle (the tension spring was sitting thingy-eyed over the needle and caused to wear one one side).  It was idling extremely rich.

I replaced the needle and the starting and idling problems have been resolved.

When I took it out on a test ride, it just didn't seem right.  It would accelerate, but not as briskly as it used to.  To make matters worse, it can no longer hit the top speed that it used to. Before the problems, it would easily cruise at 65mph and top out at 70.  Now, it struggles to get up to 60mph.
Up hills, it has the same problem.  Hills that I used to be able to ride at 40mph (flat out), I can barely get to 30mph.

I changed the sparkplug and the air filter, then pulled the carb and checked the jets.  The jets were good and clear I could see no obstruction in either jet.  The needle valve was clear as well.

I put it back together and started it up.  Like beofre, it started fine and idled fine.  On the center stand, it would wind out to full throttle (hitting the rev-limiter).  On the ground, it just does not have the power it should.

Any ideas?

Oh, BTW, it is a Vespa scooter that I'm trying to work on.  I asked over at the Vespa forum but really didn't get any help from anyone.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Loss of power on top end?
Reply #1 - 03/31/08 at 14:03:35

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/31/08 at 13:59:03:
Oh, BTW, it is a Vespa scooter that I'm trying to work on.  I asked over at the Vespa forum but really didn't get any help from anyone.

Was reading and was thinking,  up hills at 40...... thinking, what's up with his LS650.....

Is the Vespa a 2-stroker??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 03/31/08 at 14:09:42

No, its a 4t LX150.  I put a 190cc cylinder kit on it last year.  It was running fine until lat Jan, early Feb, when it started idling eratically.

I'm inclined to think its the drive belt or the variator, but that would be unique since she has less than 3000 miles on it since the last maintenance.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Aren't you glad I'm not a surgeon????
Reply #3 - 03/31/08 at 15:06:16

D'Oh!!!!!!!!  I'm an idiot....

When I went to work on the carb, I had to remove the air box to access it.  It is IMMENSELY helpful to remember to attach ALL of the hoses that attach to said air-box when reassembling.

I missed the head vent return hose (just like we have on the Savage).  The head was happily pumping away to open atmosphere and the air box was busily sucking in MORE AIR through the open hole in the back!  It was running lean.  No bloody wonder...  

Rassin Frackin DullGarned Idjit Galloot!  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/31/08 at 19:11:24

So it's wonderfully warm out now,  take it for a ride   Grin Cheesy

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power on top end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.