Send Topic Print
Flooded LS650 (Read 116 times)
flynpa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Flooded LS650
03/31/08 at 09:28:54

Hello all.  Wonderful site.  My dad has an LS650 that was flooded in hurricane Rita.  It sat in roughly 20" of salt water for about 24 hours.  A couple of months later while visiting him I installed a new battery and cleaned all the electrical connections that I thought might have been under water.  Nada, nothing.  It has been sitting ever since.

Do you guys think that it can be fixed or is it a lost cause.  I don't mind spending some time and money on it as I would like to use this as a learning experience.  BUT I don't won't to spend the time and money for nothing.  Any opinions?

Thanks,

Stuart

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Flooded LS650
Reply #1 - 03/31/08 at 09:37:07

Reminder ...... there is a clutch interlock, the clutch lever has to be pulled in to start the bike.  Otherwise nada  happens

Next ........  

Do the lights work?  The key switch has 3 positions, off, on/run and park where park is just the tail-light on, all else off (also could be considered a nada position)

As for going thru the flood......
- Oil changed??
- Carb will most likely need to be inspected too.  They don't take too well to salt water.  Corrosion in the passage ways will prevent gas from getting to where it needs to be.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flynpa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/31/08 at 09:58:51

Its been awhile now so I am not sure but I don't think that I was getting anything.  No lights, no nothing.  Keep in mind that I am somewhat mechanically inclined but know nothing about working on motorcycles.  If possible I want to fix it as a learning experience.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #3 - 03/31/08 at 10:03:52

A blessing it didn't start yet.  I would definitely change the oil b4 trying to turn it over.  It doesn't take long to wipe bearings and cause damage.  The tranny shares the oil with the motor, there is no oil tank.  You may not have been aware of that.  20" of water would be enough to get into the tranny I would think, without measuring.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #4 - 03/31/08 at 18:00:07

That's right, change the oil, and after that, you have to get your electrical system in order. With the key in the on position, all your lights should light up. Your starter is probably shot, I think 20" of water will have it completely immersed, not good. Check fuses, and lower electrical connections. The seat height on the Savage is about 27" anything lower than that needs to be inspected, electrically speaking. Your carb may have seen some water as well. With 20" of water, Savage on sidestand, I would say the carb would have seen some water...I have a feeling it may be more trouble to fix than it's worth...unless you're REALLY willing to do so.

IP Logged
flynpa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/31/08 at 18:08:32

I don't mind doing the work but not if it is gonna cost as much as buying another one.

Stuart

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/31/08 at 19:04:42

Unfornately you won't know what needs replacing till you take it apart.  

No lights in the middle position of key switch....  hmmm .... are the fuses good?  

As for the starter, it's an easy check.  Two bolts...  slide towards right side  and lift.  Then while holding securely (in a vise??) apply 12v (positive to stud, negative to casing).   Only do it for a second ot two.  Should spin..

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flynpa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/31/08 at 20:24:07

Thanks everyone.  I will not get the chance to look at it again until I go to visit in July.  I will look at it again and decide wether I want to bring it home.  I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Stuart

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/31/08 at 20:38:04

There was a flood at a Guzzi meeting & the bikes that were underwater were totalled. It was freshwater. You might save the bike, but it will be a labor of love. I suspect that if you took a part time job & saved the earnings you could buy a bike with fewer labor hours involved than the hours it will take to save that 650.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 04/01/08 at 05:56:32

Get someone to spray WD-40 down the sparkplug hole !!!!!!!!!

---
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:22:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooded LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.