Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
All this carb talk bet the '02 is going to lean (Read 541 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: All this carb talk bet the '02 is going to lea
Reply #15 - 03/31/08 at 15:28:21

Reelthing wrote on 03/31/08 at 11:52:52:
157.5 is too big - the last 1/8 throttle or so doesn't do anything except slow down a little - oh well - in goes the 155 - man is it ever loud - huh what'd you say - I said 2 pounds of crawfish please (tis the season!)

http://www.savageriders.com/reelthing/pics/savage/8a.JPG  

darn, those mudbugs do look delicious.  I can't wait until May when I will be in Shreveport to get in on some of that action.  Smiley

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 03/31/08 at 16:50:18

back home alive! the 155 with it uncapped seems about right - spins up to >85mph easy enough - bout fast as me on these IRCs are going to go - of course I can't leave it that way people would think I was a heathen -I'll see if I can round up a hand full of washers this evening -
keep the performance and turn the sound down some

rather have the plates - hard to believe nobody around here stocks them - but haven't found any yet

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/31/08 at 17:51:37

So, with what you've seen, do you still think the 15o with 14 disks is too lean?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 03/31/08 at 18:45:48

I don't know - I'll need to get the disks spaced out that far - but w/150 and 14 - is the 'trap turning colors? -

I'm getting a little gold tone on the 1st few inches after today - and I'll bet the spacer is more important as your on the midrange a lot more of the time

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 03/31/08 at 20:56:08

It's a mottled blue in the narrow part. I njeed to look more closely. I do get some sooty stuff on the brake, but when? It may be kinda lean when I am runnin 60 & a bit rich at idle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 04/01/08 at 06:11:28

thats the deal gotta work on all three gas feeds - hey did you fire that bike up without the end cap ? wow

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 04/01/08 at 07:57:26

suppertrap forum says what I'm doing running with and open core is equal to 24-26 plates with the end cap in place -

and dug up the numbers - each plate adds about .025 (actually .023 inside gap .028 out side gap creates a low pressure zone it is claimed)
any way .055 washer I stuck in there yesterday was only about like adding 2 plates - so I was still at only ~10 plates

until I can lay hands on the more plates seems reasonable to just raise the end cap

so it has 8 plates - if I lift it .25 should be about = to 18 plates - off to the hardware store.

« Last Edit: 04/01/08 at 09:09:46 by Reelthing »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 04/01/08 at 11:14:47

ok found some 1/4" alum spacers - makes it sound sort of like a car with a glass pack and a exhaust leak at the donut - rain is trying to start - might make for some interesting test runs - now where'd I put the extra armor from the mesh jacket....

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 04/01/08 at 13:09:20

alright it quite raining - had time to chainge the oil (20w-50vtwin) seemed like a good idea as hot and rough as it's been rode the last couple days (humm that doesn't sound right)

moved the aluminum spacers to the inside - sounds and looks a lot better

and now they can here me the first time - dozen shrimp please an a small loaf of grilled garlic bread and water - thank you - I know the longnecks are only a $1.50 at lunch but I've only got two wheels

check total tax and all $4.02

ok back on the mission - stop to fill it the case oil temp is ~90C - sounds proper warmed up to me - to the highway we got - the bike runs wells, the bottom end is still there and the motor sounds very happy in 4th gear @ 75mph with a good bit of punch left, the throttle is effective all the way to it won't twist any more - I think I'm going to leave it alone Smiley

To sum it up this what I believe to be generally equal to 18 proper Suppertrap disks, it has 8 real ones+ 1/4" thick alum spacers. The bike has a 155 mainjet, stock air box and filter w/the door back n there, stock pilot jet - the idle mixture screw is out exactly 3 turns for a soft seat so it is at the limit of the pilot jet, this is all being tested at around 50ft above sea level and around 80f temp with very near 100% humid

I went through this because I had replace a defective Jardine and out of the box the Suppertrap with 8 disks is lacking topend power compared to the Jardine.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 04/24/08 at 07:19:05

ok time to get back to the '02 now that we proper stuff - this seems like a good day to get this guy tuned

trap stuff - 20 disks, a closed cap and a  "boy howdy that's loud" open cap - that supertrapp saw fit to stamp closed course use only on the thing

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #25 - 04/24/08 at 11:58:08

ok time to checkout those shrimp @ $3 a dozen - and a test ride

first some random pictures - raised the needle - went from a .042 thick spacer to .028

Dang IRC tire is starting to worry me - looks like it might split right down the middle

Drain the tank ( I always remove the petcock) and pull the seat

and the school of hard knocks says cover the black hole around the starter or it will pull everything from your hand straight down there

pull the stainless allen heads with the handy ball head allens - dang already cut me finger and just started!  

have the diaphram pointed down it lines up real nice and be sure to get the tab in the right spot - then just drop it in place

use a clean putty knife to hold the spring in the diaphram and slip the cap back on there

better take a peek before you button it back up - want that srping in place

Couldn't help myself - ok first up 8 disks with the open cap!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #26 - 04/30/08 at 16:21:14

now that I've had the chance to commute a few days with the bike I'll say it's spot on with the .028 stainless spacer 8 disks with the open end cap and a howling SOB! did roughly measure the mpg - the '02 seems very close to the '95 savage - somewhere 50-55 mpg over the same 50-60 mile commute depending on which way I go and how happy I get with the throttle - I guess I have enough disks to replace the open cap with the closed one and keep adding disks until it runs the same - but may just leave the exhaust alone - the air in the crankcase runs around 85-90C - long idles I saw it get up to 95C - great temp - never runs out of breath now like it did w/8 disks in the supertrapp - just out of stock cam profile rpms at 85-90mph - next maint is to add the long duration Lancer cam this should move the power band up 500-800 rpm - this is waiting in the garage with the  slot/pin'd adjuster, and either washers for the clutch bolts or the heavy duty springs.... wonder if I can call in sick tomorrow.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 04/30/08 at 19:36:15

No need to call in sick, just tell'm that something more important has come up and you will let them know when you can return for your checks.   Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #28 - 04/30/08 at 19:53:23

think I feel a little sniffle come'n on - sure hate to pass it on to others

well the tear down has started - about 10am - started pulling it apart - need to know about this camshaft........ engine sure is pretty under the head cover - only has 2050 miles on this '02

« Last Edit: 05/01/08 at 10:22:54 by Reelthing »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 05/01/08 at 19:53:40

Helpful tool for sure -

Never opened one up that is this low miles - the hard areas are still there on the rockers

Seems like the adjuster is out pretty far -

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:13:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › All this carb talk bet the '02 is going to lean

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.