Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
starter gear, automatic decompression ?s (Read 214 times)
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
starter gear, automatic decompression ?s
03/30/08 at 09:09:58

Hi,

Well now that I've got the valves all adjusted I have a couple questions on the starter gear and 'automatic decompression cable adjustment'. Mainly to see if I got it right because the bike is all put back together now.

- When I had the generator cover off, the starter gear (the gear on the shaft of the starter motor) slid off and I didn't see for sure which way it should go back on. On the gear's shaft hole, the gear has a flat side (level with the teeth) and a side with a raised part. The shop manual is useless with no pictures or instructions on orientation for this. I put it back with the raised part out, against the case, as it didn't seem like it would have room to rotate if it went on the other way. Also that way all the teeth meshed with that other gear (the one made of three thin sections that connects to the flywheel). Just asking if I put it on right or if I need to take it off and spin it around (hopefully not).

- Automatic decompression adjustment. The shop manual is again useless as the instructions don't actually describe what you're measuring, and the picture is crap. Are you looking for 3-5mm of play at the end of the little arm: 3-5mm of space between the bottom metal piece that doesn't move, and the arm? This is what we did--it needed to be adjusted slightly (if that's what needed adjusting).

Any info appreciated. Haven't started the bike yet.

THanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: starter gear, automatic decompression ?s
Reply #1 - 03/30/08 at 09:18:05

Decompression adjustment, I know had the same trouble my self.
The measurement should be done on the decomp solenoid.  It's on the other side of the frame, big round thing with a rubber cap in the center.  Pull the cap off and you'll see a little shaft.  that's where the measurement should be made.

WWW   IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #2 - 03/30/08 at 09:24:51

So given that I adjusted the cable play, should I reverse that and adjust the solenoid instead?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/30/08 at 10:14:07

No, results are the same and the TOLERANCE range is huge anyway.  You'd have to struggle to get it set outside the tolerance range no matter which end you adjusted it from.

Me, I figured that the system can only "stretch" to get looser, it can never get tighter, so I adjusted mine to the 3.5mm minimum number and I bet I never have to mess with it again, ever.

Decomp works fine now, but mine doesn't have the huge "CLACK" sound that the rest of you guys have to listen to when you hit your starters.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 03/30/08 at 10:34:39

on the decomp there is a picture in the techsection some place that shows you - just pull the rubber cover off and push it pack with you hand and measure how far out the end shaft is - I'll see if I can find it

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 03/30/08 at 10:38:41

few down on the this page has a link to a pretty good post

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

this picture belongs in the book

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/30/08 at 10:58:24

dex3703 wrote on 03/30/08 at 09:09:58:
- When I had the generator cover off, the starter gear (the gear on the shaft of the starter motor) slid off and I didn't see for sure which way it should go back on. On the gear's shaft hole, the gear has a flat side (level with the teeth) and a side with a raised part. The shop manual is useless with no pictures or instructions on orientation for this. I put it back with the raised part out, against the case, as it didn't seem like it would have room to rotate if it went on the other way. Also that way all the teeth meshed with that other gear (the one made of three thin sections that connects to the flywheel). Just asking if I put it on right or if I need to take it off and spin it around (hopefully not).

Can you see me scratching my head trying to remember.  Mine did the same thing.  Plopped on to the workbench and I said DA.M....
  Problem is I can't  remember if  the case cover will cause it to bind if it's in backwards...... Or.....if the case doesn't seat correctly......  Anyway,   it will only go on one way ........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #7 - 03/30/08 at 11:04:36

The case will only go on one way? If that's true then I got it on the right way as the case is on and sealed up with no trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #8 - 03/30/08 at 15:22:16

Does anybody disagree? Is it ok to start it up?

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 03/31/08 at 07:33:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/30/08 at 10:14:07:
Me, I figured that the system can only "stretch" to get looser, it can never get tighter, so I adjusted mine to the 3.5mm minimum number and I bet I never have to mess with it again, ever.

3.5 mm is way too loose!  0.003" is the smallest...

0.003" * 25.4mm/inch = 0.0762 mm exactly

IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #10 - 03/31/08 at 08:45:29

The shop manual says it should be between 3mm and 5mm. I think we put ours at 4mm, but at the end of the little arm, not on the solenoid.

so that's where that loud clack noise comes from when you hit the starter? I'll be happy to have that gone. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 03/31/08 at 10:00:56

no no no...

it's 0.08 mm to 0.13 mm, OR 0.003" to 0.006"

also, see here

IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #12 - 03/31/08 at 10:20:02

Thanks for that link! I'll be sure to check that I was on the right stroke. I just followed the shop manual and turned it to the mark--don't know which part of the stroke it's on.

The automatic decompression is 3-5mm. The valves are .08 and .13mm (I think). I was going off the shop manual measurements.

Also, what size socket do you use for the spark plug? My standard sized spark plug socket didn't fit, and I couldn't find a long metric socket that would fit either.

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 03/31/08 at 11:35:27

there are only 2 standard sizes for spark plugs.  you have the one, which fits a V* (haha).  get the other one.  they are SAE (english) sizes, not metric.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 03/31/08 at 13:46:18

vroom1776 wrote on 03/31/08 at 11:35:27:
there are only 2 standard sizes for spark plugs.  you have the one, which fits a V* (haha).  get the other one.  they are SAE (english) sizes, not metric.

Now I'm going to have to check when I get home....   I thought they were a metric size.......  

As for the gear,  take the inspection plug off the flywheel/rotor cover and see if you can turn the engine.   Also, take the spark plug out to make it easier to turn.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter gear, automatic decompression ?s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.