Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town. (Read 364 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town
Reply #15 - 03/28/08 at 13:03:44

Worked out pretty well then.  Good.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 03/28/08 at 13:06:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/28/08 at 12:50:29:
By The Way, the little bit of gas I put in today cost more than what it cost me to FILL My 62 Chebby up!

in '62!

glad to hear you got it all back together and home

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/29/08 at 08:14:19

Guys, ( colloquialism, not gender specific) I am SOOOO sore! But, the whole experience left me smiling. Yea, sounds crazy, had a flat & had to work on it & it was kinda hard, BUT, I came away smiling & had a good ride, kinda misting/sprinkling some, no sunglasses needed, overcast but warm enough to be really comfortable, 68 ish, cool enough to allow wearing everything & not burning up. AND, no one tried to run me over!!! Yee Haaawww..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #18 - 03/29/08 at 20:50:51

Good deal getting it home safe and getting a ride out of the deal too...

My most recent ride started with the Fix-a-Flat in my rear Dunlop 404 giving way as I rode down the block in front of my house. That stuff not only got me home from Fayettville, but did some winter riding on it to with no problems.

I rode back to the house with tire half flat. Had to run my errands on 4 wheels; then called the independent shop about 3-4 miles from the house and arranged to ride it in and out. I aired it up good and took them an NOS Cheng Shin 140/90-15 just in case the Dunlop wasn't fixable. They said it wasn't, due to weather cracking. I think the riding it  that bit down the road and back with it nearly flat broke open the weak spots on the sidewall. End result: I now have a kind of ugly but much safer Cheng Shin on the back of the 99. Tube, rim strip and balance job + labor set me back about $50. I never broke a sweat. Worth every penny.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 03/29/08 at 21:13:03

I really am seeing the value of doing the "Tubeless" mod on the rim. You know how easy a fix woulda been with a plug? Not to mention the $15.00 savings on the tube..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 03/29/08 at 23:10:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/28/08 at 03:28:02:
Yea, Sluggo, cheap, that's it , I tell ya, ya duhhty raat. We pay somewhere around $60.00/month for satellite, since cable isnt available at any price. For another $10.00 we could get another 175 MB, But Sheesh! $840.00 a year, just for the priveledge of coming here & correcting people like YOU?? OHH PLease!

roflmfao..... correcting me...... how can that be, i've never made a mistake... Shocked  Cool  Cool

seriously,  i just got high speed for the first time ever.. wow i added it up and my communications tab is staggering....  but i don't spend alot of money in other places.  not like five grand on hookers cause the wife won't let ya in the back door.  i could never run for office, i'm not a womanizer.   Cool

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 03/29/08 at 23:13:48

Rockin_John wrote on 03/29/08 at 20:50:51:

My most recent ride started with the Fix-a-Flat in my rear Dunlop 404 giving way as I rode down the block in front of my house. That stuff not only got me home from Fayettville, but did some winter riding on it to with no problems.

I rode back to the house with tire half flat. Had to run my errands on 4 wheels; then called the independent shop about 3-4 miles from the house and arranged to ride it in and out. I aired it up good and took them an NOS Cheng Shin 140/90-15 just in case the Dunlop wasn't fixable. They said it wasn't, due to weather cracking. I think the riding it  that bit down the road and back with it nearly flat broke open the weak spots on the sidewall. End result: I now have a kind of ugly but much safer Cheng Shin on the back of the 99. Tube, rim strip and balance job + labor set me back about $50. I never broke a sweat. Worth every penny.  Smiley

what no burnout video.... bummer......actually i intend to do it every time, should be before next riding season, i still have lotz o miles left

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 03/30/08 at 00:24:56

sluggo wrote on 03/29/08 at 23:13:48:

<snip>  End result: I now have a kind of ugly but much safer Cheng Shin on the back of the 99. Tube, rim strip and balance job + labor set me back about $50. I never broke a sweat. Worth every penny.  Smiley

what no burnout video.... bummer......actually i intend to do it every time, should be before next riding season, i still have lotz o miles left

I'd love to have the ability to do video with sound, but priorities haven't allowed me that luxury yet.  Sad

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 03/30/08 at 06:13:42

Rockin_John wrote on 03/30/08 at 00:24:56:
sluggo wrote on 03/29/08 at 23:13:48:

<snip>  End result: I now have a kind of ugly but much safer Cheng Shin on the back of the 99. Tube, rim strip and balance job + labor set me back about $50. I never broke a sweat. Worth every penny.  Smiley

I'd love to have the ability to do video with sound, but priorities haven't allowed me that luxury yet.  Sad

darn those priorities.   Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #24 - 03/30/08 at 12:12:54

has anyone done the tubeless mod yet?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #25 - 03/30/08 at 12:38:18

not done here yet - but sure thinking on it - some of the dirt bike guys are having pretty good luck with a little silcone sealant on each spoke and covering this with a 1 or 2 inch smaller rim size tube valve stem cut off the tube - after all this cures on the tire goes with a tubless valve - dirt is different than road bikes - they get a flat and fall down - we get a flat at speed and may be pushing up daisies

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #26 - 03/30/08 at 13:25:30

Reelthing wrote on 03/30/08 at 12:38:18:
not done here yet - but sure thinking on it - some of the dirt bike guys are having pretty good luck with a little silcone sealant on each spoke and covering this with a 1 or 2 inch smaller rim size tube valve stem cut off the tube - after all this cures on the tire goes with a tubless valve - dirt is different than road bikes - they get a flat and fall down - we get a flat at speed and may be pushing up daisies    

Not knowing anyone who has done it, I had considered the possibility of doing just what you said with the silicone and rim strip. And I have had several street bikes with "mag" wheels, and kind of prefer them for ease of cleaning and being naturally well balanced. (I swear my tank slapper on the Norton at over 100mph was simply due to poorly balanced or trued spoke wheels.) But in a way I'm still not comfortable with tubeless tires on a motorcycle; because it is possible to hit something which pops the bead and lets the air out instantly. Might as well have a blowout.

You can hit an object in the road with a spoke wheel and tube tire hard enough to dent the rim and NOT get a flat or go down (I've done it). But with a "mag" wheel and tubeless tire, either the tire will pop, or the wheel will break. Bad news either way.

Since I no longer have much inclination to "break the ton" I don't feel much need for mags or tubeless tires. However, if I were to ever desire another go-fast street bike, I'd probably prefer to have the mags, even though it means not having a tube... Just like many other things, you pick your poison; then hopefully live with your decision.

IP Logged
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Reply #27 - 03/30/08 at 14:10:36

Bobbert wrote on 03/30/08 at 12:12:54:
has anyone done the tubeless mod yet?

When I purchased my '86 savage it already had tubeless installed. No problems so far, right now the bike is sitting awaiting a clutch part.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #28 - 03/30/08 at 14:40:15

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #29 - 03/31/08 at 15:16:46

Didn't Lancer upgrade to a 16" HD tubeless-type rim?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:16:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.