Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town. (Read 364 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town.
03/27/08 at 04:27:39

So, do I take a quilt to lay it on & get the rear wheel off to take it & have it repaired? Drain enough fuel into a gas can so it won't run out of the tank? Easier to get the wheel off with the pulley down, so the brake guts can be pulled out?DAANG, I wonder which side the nut is on? If the nut is on the pulley side, then brake side up will be easier since the axle will pull up & out. I will, of course, take a can of fix a flat & see if I can get the bike home. Since she did ride it a little flat, I doubt it will work, but I can hope, ehh? Any hints are appreciated, since I have never intentionally laid a bike over & have always righted one as soon as possible, I guess pulling the plug & spinning it to make sure I dont have a load of oil in the cylinder before I start it would be a good idea?

Should I just pull the tank, since it will come off without draining it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town
Reply #1 - 03/27/08 at 05:17:18

Personally, if I'm gonna lay her over to work on her, I'm pullin' the tank first.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 03/27/08 at 05:50:14

Find a friend, neighbor or relative with a pick-up (You're in TX, I know at least one of the neighbors has one) then offer a case of beer to help you get it home.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 03/27/08 at 06:18:21

worst case, rent a truck from home depot or uhaul.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/27/08 at 06:55:35

It's definitely going on its side before I rent anything. I think one of the girls friends is gonna be there after she gets off work, with a can O Fix a Flat. He has a P/u. I dont have tie downs, but I am pretty fair with a rope. If I have to buy a tie down or two( not that mnuch good rope around) or maybe buy more rope, its cheap. Lots cheaper than tie downs & tons more uses. Actually, I find Bull is sitting in a parking lot not even 10 minutes from home.At normal speeds. With a bike maybe not tied down for a cross country trip, slower speeds are called for, roads arent so good.I hope the fix a flat gets it, if not, then a board will get it in the truck. Lowes is less than a mile away if I need rope.

The wife ran 170 MB of download & all I am allowed is 200 for the day, so I can only stop in & see whats up a few times today.. Daggummed You tube stuff anyway!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenk
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 03/27/08 at 07:23:14

Loosen everything up put a jack under right rear frame in front of swing arm and jack up. Cycle should set on kickstand, jack and front wheel. you can tie off front brake if it makes you feel better. Have someone watch bike while you get tire fixed or put a concrete block under it

Ken
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/27/08 at 07:31:35

Was riding the dirt bike in BFE alone, and got a flat. I had the tools to remove the wheel but nothing else. Found a short log, and sat the bike on that, removed the wheel and carried it five miles till I reached some pavement. Town was still 15 miles away, and it seemed no one was gonna stop to ask a dirty,sweaty,wheel carrying guy if he needed a ride. Finally got a ride into town. The next morning I bought a new tire,tube,and rim strip. After I got home and mounted the tire, I had a nice neighbor in a P/U take me out to the bike. I installed the wheel and rode the bike home.

Now I carry and extra tube,air pump, tire irons and other necessary tire repair tools. Flats are inevitable, disstres because of them is optional.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 03/27/08 at 10:40:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/27/08 at 06:55:35:
The wife ran 170 MB of download & all I am allowed is 200 for the day, so I can only stop in & see whats up a few times today.. Daggummed You tube stuff anyway!

why the restriction... ya cheep or something? Grin Grin Cool

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 03/27/08 at 10:43:44

Onederer wrote on 03/27/08 at 07:31:35:
. Found a short log, and sat the bike on that, removed the wheel and carried it five miles till I reached some pavement.

me i've used my helmet to get the bike up.. ya do what ya got to do.

it's easier to get a ride walking with a wheel in hand, than just standing there, if ya walk sooner or later you'll get where your going.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/28/08 at 03:28:02

sluggo wrote on 03/27/08 at 10:40:58:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/27/08 at 06:55:35:

why the restriction... ya cheep or something? Grin Grin Cool

Yea, Sluggo, cheap, that's it , I tell ya, ya duhhty raat. We pay somewhere around $60.00/month for satellite, since cable isnt available at any price. For another $10.00 we could get another 175 MB, But Sheesh! $840.00 a year, just for the priveledge of coming here & correcting people like YOU?? OHH PLease!

The Fix a Flat didn't, so I called the guy I do all my local bike biz with. I remembered he rents trailers. He will loan me one to run get the bike & haul it to his shop. Then, I'll pop the tank off & lay it over & pull the tire.

NOW, do I need to pull my Big CRank battery? I say no, since it's a gell cell, BUT, NOt wanting to make a mess, figured asking was easier that believiung I KNow.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 03/28/08 at 06:01:43

no need, spill free it is claimed let us know  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/28/08 at 06:02:20

The AGM battery should be fine on its side.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/28/08 at 06:40:46

Sluggo, I jusr reread my reply. I trust you know I was just goofing. In black & white, no tone or inflection, it could come across snotty,, it wasnt meant to be..

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 03/28/08 at 06:43:37

you go get that bike?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/28/08 at 12:50:29

My wife & I went & borrowed the trailer from the bike shop, normally, $30.00/day rental, he let me take it to Houston for $20.00/day last year. Pulled the seat & tank & left side cover & the electronics under it. Rounded up a cinder block & folded the carpet padding( foam) I had taken with me on top of the block. Layed the bike over( actually, had to stand the block up some to get the frame on top of it, then dropped them over together).I had already loosened the axle nut till it was handy & it was set to slide out on the exhaust side. It comes apart nicely laying over like that, I was surprised. It even went back easily, very easy, in fact. I think having it blocked up on the cinderblock made a big difference. It was threatening rain, sprinkled lightly, just enough to help find a higher gear.But,.., Here's the kicker. I bought the tire from this guy & paid $30.00 to have it mounted & balanced, even tho I bought it from him, which really didnt sit all that well with me at the time, But, he dod Loan the trailer, & sold me a tube for just shy of $16.00( Yikes!) but, charged no labor to install that tube. I paid with a $20.00 & told them to put the rest in their shop's coffeee fund.
All in all, I spent around $10.00 for tiedowns & $20.00 for the fixin job. The fix-a-flat wasnt paid for by me AND to be fair, wasnt FixaFlat brand. Was some el cheapo I wouldnt have bought, but I wasnt there, so,, grrrr, owell,, the deal is done, it went well. AND I had a Nice Ride home, after I put gas in it, which, By The Way, the little bit of gas I put in today cost more than what it cost me to FILL My 62 Chebby up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:08:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kid got a flat on the rear, bike's across town.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.