drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
rear tire removal
03/26/08 at 14:21:02

hey guys. back in the saddle after a looooooong cold winter. 1st thing i get--a flat on rear tire. nobody wants to mess with my old '87, so i stand there looking at it saying what the ____ ? i can't figure out how to remove the rear wheel from the bike. i searched the tech section but came up empty. do i unbolt the left side and then pull shaft out? are spacers and stuff going to fall out? any and all tips would be appreciated. TIA Undecided

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Re: rear tire removal
Reply #1 - 03/26/08 at 14:45:25

You will first need to get a jack or something under the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground. Then remove the left shock and the belt covers. Take off the license plate and undo the rear brake linkage. Then get some thing to put into the hole on the right side of the axle, a drift works well or I've seen people use allen keys. Loosen the nut on the left side of the axle and pull it out. You may need to tap it out with the drift. There are only two spacers that you need to keep track of so note their location and reassemble the axle after the wheel is off with everything in the proper order so you don't forget. To get the belt off push the wheel all the way forward and slide the belt off around the pulley. Once the wheel is off the pulley and brake should just slide out.

Remember on reassembly to align the slot on the brake with the tab on the swingarm and readjust your belt.

JakeB

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/26/08 at 17:10:50

JakeB wrote on 03/26/08 at 14:45:25:
You will first need to get a jack or something under the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground. Then remove the left shock and the belt covers. Take off the license plate and undo the rear brake linkage. Then get some thing to put into the hole on the right side of the axle, a drift works well or I've seen people use allen keys. Loosen the nut on the left side of the axle and pull it out. You may need to tap it out with the drift. There are only two spacers that you need to keep track of so note their location and reassemble the axle after the wheel is off with everything in the proper order so you don't forget. To get the belt off push the wheel all the way forward and slide the belt off around the pulley. Once the wheel is off the pulley and brake should just slide out.

Remember on reassembly to align the slot on the brake with the tab on the swingarm and readjust your belt.

JakeB

i've never had to remove the shock    why  would i...

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/26/08 at 17:15:29

sluggo wrote on 03/26/08 at 17:10:50:

Hmmm... maybe it's just mine, but I cannot get the upper belt cover off with out removing the shock. Maybe the mounting tabs are bent funny. Undecided

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/26/08 at 17:59:08

When you loosen your adjusters(little bolts with jam nuts at the end of the swingarm)count how many turns you back them off,and write it down.So when you put it back together the wheel will be in the same place.Then if you need to adjust,belt then do it.

I don't want to start WWIII here but a manual will help alot.Check tech section,there is an article about the manual online. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 03/26/08 at 18:28:21

ah yes, the online manual. what was i thinking? the only trouble i'm seeing so far is the drift in the right side. on mine there is no hole to put it in. the right side of the axle looks like a solid cylindrical thing, with what looks like a roll pin through it from the side. well, off to the manual i go. wish me luck.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/26/08 at 18:38:39

When I had mine off two weeks ago, I didn't have to remove the belt guards.  It would have been much easier to put it back together if I had, but I didn't.  As long as you have the back wheel off of the ground, this is an easy thing.  The spacers are really no big deal, get a piece of cardboard and draw a diagram, then put the spacers in the proper positions on the cardboard.  If you have to, put pins in to hold the spacers in place.  Fortunately, I have enough garage space to just lay them out in the order they came off.  My back axle has a hex head on the bolt end, so I can't help you on the drift pin.  Sad

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 03/26/08 at 18:40:48

Try to knock that "roll pin" out chances are somebody broke something off in there,or put something in there thinking that's what was supposed to be in there.I usually stick a phillips screwdriver through the hole.
While you're at it.This would be a good time to check the brakes.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/26/08 at 18:48:50

Hmmm,
plate off
axle loose
bike up till wheel just touching
brake cable off
remove axle
wheel forward
belt off pulley
bike up more
wheel out
Huh
oops I was distracted, I don't worry about which spacer goes where, greasy one goes pulley side, clean one brake side.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/26/08 at 18:58:09

verslagen1 wrote on 03/26/08 at 18:48:50:
Hmmm,
plate off
axle loose
brake cable off
remove axle
wheel forward
belt off pulley
bike up more
wheel out
Huh

Well, and succinctly put.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 03/26/08 at 21:25:17

Hmmm,
plate off
axle loose
brake cable off
remove axle
wheel forward
belt off pulley
bike up more
wheel out
Huh
oops I was distracted, I don't worry about which spacer goes where, greasy one goes pulley side, clean one brake side.

You forgot cuss like crazy when wrench slips and you bang your hand, and the pauses to drink your beer while waiting for hand to stop throbbing.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/26/08 at 21:39:22

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/26/08 at 21:25:17:
You forgot cuss like crazy when wrench slips and you bang your hand, and the pauses to drink your beer while waiting for hand to stop throbbing.

I drink the beer 1st, I'm in the pain reduction plan.   Grin
Enough beers, problem solved... can't find wrench.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 03/27/08 at 10:24:27

JakeB wrote on 03/26/08 at 17:15:29:
sluggo wrote on 03/26/08 at 17:10:50:

Hmmm... maybe it's just mine, but I cannot get the upper belt cover off with out removing the shock. Maybe the mounting tabs are bent funny. Undecided

now,  why remove the belt cover, never had to do that either.  and i've had the back off quite a few times.  

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 03/27/08 at 10:27:46

Demin wrote on 03/26/08 at 17:59:08:
I don't want to start WWIII here but a manual will help alot.Check tech section,there is an article about the manual online. Wink

why wouldn't ya want wwIII others try.  Cheesy

also you gave good advice.....me i have to use a level to align, you see i;ve lost the number after six and before eight.  it's a real bummer when i need to do some "cyphering" as jethro would say.  Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 03/27/08 at 10:29:50

Hmmm,

Huh

i like that one.  me i just let them fall one to each side of machine then just push them aside.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:41:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear tire removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.