Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm gonna come unglued. (Read 266 times)
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
I'm gonna come unglued.
03/26/08 at 13:50:37

Help.  Me.  Before I go nuts.

I'm trying to get sorted out before spring riding.  I have three things left to do, and they are driving me nuts.  

First, grips.  I threw '05?  Maybe?  -era drag bars on my machine.  It had stock grips.  Loved 'em.  I replaced them after they got dirty.  Now, perhaps my bars are drilled funny for the controlsor, something, but the throttle sleeve doesn't cover the bar all the way to the end.  The bar hangs out.  So, rubber grips grab the bar and do not allow the sleeve to snap back to idle position of its own accord.  I keep ordering sets and getting ones at the local MC, and they all fit funny.  Also, in addition to being two different diameters (Throttle sleeve side is bigger than the non-drive side), my bars appear to require two different LENGTH grips.  Could someone who has run into this problem please shed some light and offer me the part number of something that fits, no questions asked?  The dealers, even Ron Ayers, is gonna charge me over fifty dollars for GRIPS!  (granted, they have the thrittle sleeve, but my throttle sleeve is just fine, thank you.

SECOND:  Footpegs.  Ditto above situation.  I keep getting ones that don't actually fit.  Part number, please?

THIRD:  The local MC shop wants 6oo bones to mount some Metzelers.  Wholly unacceptable.  They will not price me anything else, as "nothing else fits".  I know for a fact that 100/90-19 is a sportster size... I suspect I can find something other than metzeler to fit one of those...anyone have a good recommendation for obtaining cheapy tires?  I ride a po' boy redneck rod...I ain't puttin' six hundred dollar tires on a twenty five hundred buck bike.  Idears?

Thanks in advance, my loyal Savage family.

-Liam

PS...CT is alright.  It isn't going to be bike weather until June, but I am adjusting.  The wee one is a blast, and the Missus is good, for those of you who followed my moving adventure.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: I'm gonna come unglued.
Reply #1 - 03/26/08 at 14:03:14

Thats pretty high for metzler 880s - I haven't priced them lately - but around $100fr $120rr - maybe $300+/- if you take the wheels in - sounds like these guys are out of line

also Dunlop D404 $60fr $75rr

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #2 - 03/26/08 at 17:17:17

600 was with them doing labor...I'm fine with that.  W/O a motorcycle jack, my hands be tied a little.  I get nervous watching my little tramp teeter on an AC Delco automotive jack...

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/26/08 at 17:22:30

govmule84 wrote on 03/26/08 at 17:17:17:
600 was with them doing labor...I'm fine with that.  W/O a motorcycle jack, my hands be tied a little.  I get nervous watching my little tramp teeter on an AC Delco automotive jack...

I put a 6x6 under my bike then carefuly rocked to one side and put a 2x4 under it then rocked it to the other side and put a 2x4 under the other side, and repeated with something that was about 1/4". When the front wheel is off it rests on the back and when the back is off it rests on the front. So do one wheel at a time or find a better center than I did. Wink

JakeB

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/26/08 at 17:51:38

Hey Gov.Glad to see you're alive,and doing well.Been wonderin'
1)For grips:Loosen your right switch assembly a little slide the whole thing over until you throttle barrel is flush with the end of the bar or just slightlt before,for stock controls.For 1 piece grips slide it a little past the end of the bar.
2)Pegs:Unless you're putting stock ones on,they're kinda universal(aka)make'm fit.
3)Tires:Are they f..in' nuts Dunlop,Kenda(decent tires,cheap)IRC,the list goes on.My IRC Wild Flares are under $200.00 retail.
4)Go to tech:Low budget jack(or whatever the title is).Bike jacks are cheap anymore,check Pep Boys,etc.Buy 2 tie downs to go with it.Take the wheels off yourself,alot of bike shops don't charge,or very little to mount them if you buy their tires.
  Good luck, Good seeing you again. Smiley

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 03/26/08 at 18:48:47

Took my front in for a change in January.  Rim with old tire and a new Dunlop 404 in hand.  $ 24.95 to mount and balance ( and check the bearings ).  And that was at the Suzuki dealer  Shocked.  (helps that I bought the rubber from them a week before ($69.95) and still had their tag on it.   Figure same amount for them to remove the front .  Rear is only a little harder to get off. Remember they have nice lifts and all the tools.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 03/26/08 at 21:19:32

When I bought my tires, Cheng Shin  (or however it's spelled and pronounced) it cost me all of 150 dollars for the tires tubes and liners themselves and the Suzi dealer installed them for free because I bought the rubber from them.

Grips and pegs I don't know about.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/27/08 at 12:10:31

Thanks for the tire helps.

As far as the pegs, I can't find something that is even remotely close to 'make it fit'.

As far as the grips...I can't just slide the right control over...my bars have a hole drilled into them, and a locating peg on the inside of the throttle housing assembly...there's only one position allowed.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 03/27/08 at 13:33:44

file the little peg off, or put it on and whack the bottom of the control box with a rubber mallet.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 03/27/08 at 13:54:00

pegs:  needs a 27/64 hole.  then apply angle grinder till they fit.

others have used bmx pegs.  I bet any suzuki pegs will work as well

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #10 - 03/27/08 at 16:46:36

My throttle sleeve was to long for after market grips, and all I did was cut the sleeve down shorter and the grips slid right up tight with out the ugly space. As far as pegs, any Harley pegs(original,or aftermarket) will work. All you have to do is drill the hole larger in the new pegs for the stock Suzuki bolts. I used custom Kuryakin pegs for a Harley. They are nice and wide. Someone is nuts trying to charge you that much for tires. I will post pic of my custom pegs. I did have to add one washer on the left peg to make it set level.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 03/27/08 at 17:20:57

I know it's been said here before,but those bars are bada$$. Cool

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #12 - 03/27/08 at 18:30:57

Demin wrote on 03/27/08 at 17:20:57:
I know it's been said here before,but those bars are bada$$. Cool
Denim,I won them on e-bay. A new company was selling them for advertising purposes. I found them, only due to a member here on this forum. They are called coffin bars, but got the nickname "Savagalope bars" because they look like antlers to a lot of people here.. I liked them due to the fact that I named the bike ELVIRA(the misstress of the dark) and it reminds me of her big tall black hairdo.They come as bare metal, so you can chrome them or powder coat like I did. Very strong built, double thick metal is used, with good strong welds. I did have to put thinner wall steel inserts in the stock handlebar dampers to allow me to use Harley risers and bolts. The bolts are larger for the Harley risers. They are very comfortable bars, and only come up to my shirt pockets, as I explained in another post. They were made by Rocks Chops. (812)-457-0046 or nicholas@webcrawley.com
Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 03/27/08 at 18:43:10

I remember when you put'em on.I just like seeing them,because they're not the same ol' apes. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:14:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm gonna come unglued.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.