Battery Charging (Read 73 times)
Steve
YaBB Newbies

Zen in the art of
motorcycle riding

Pittsburgh, PA
Battery Charging
03/26/08 at 10:49:09

A very simple and basic question on charging the battery.
I have a 2000 650 Savage that I had hooked up to a 12v charger over the winter.

I had the charger connected to the battery but the charge did not take and I don’t know why.

What do I attach the charger alligator clips to?   Is it the little battery screws (the clips keep slipping off of these) or is it the metal “bracket clips” under the screws?

I want to get on the road please help?

May Peace be your guide
steve
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Battery Charging
Reply #1 - 03/26/08 at 11:00:52

Either way will work,if you left it on all winter the water might be gone. was that a tickle charger or a bigger charger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 03/26/08 at 11:05:02

Sometimes you have to wiggle the 'gater clips a little to make sure they have a good connection.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/26/08 at 11:06:44

It might be easier to remove it,making sure you have good contact.Check your water in it.Put on charger,stay around 2 amp charge.Anything more will boil it.Might already be boiled.If that's the case spend the money on a big crank battery.It's maintenance free lasts a long time.I got mine shipped,and all for about 60 bucks..Throw it in ,done.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/26/08 at 17:10:24

suzuki service manual says to remove battery for charging or regulator/rectifer can be damaged..
i just came thru my second winter(with my 06) of not following that advice BUT i use a 3/4 amp maint. type charger for a few hours every couple of weeks and fire up the bike and let it idle for 1/2 hour or so..
last weekend i stopped by a friends house and had left the key on for bout 20 min 1/2 hour battery was dead..had to get a jump..got home and hooked up the automotive charger..has switychable 6 amp/2 amp ranges..couldnt charge below 2 amp(in either range)...pulled the battery(2year old oem)the electrolyte on all cells were down below the top of the plates..boiled up/down some tap water and cooled b4 refilling the cells..charged right up and went  on a 120 mile round trip(blasting the stereo) with no problems..pos clip to pos term/neg to bolt at the starter the gauge on the automive charger tells me if i9 have good connection..
also when first got bike i installed a power port to the top of the swingarm cross brace and adapted a 12v plug to hook up gator clips..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:37:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Charging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.