Adapting Dyna Muffler (Read 183 times)
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Adapting Dyna Muffler
03/26/08 at 10:13:18

Howdy:

Please Help me.  I've done the searches but can't seem to find the one on adapting a Dyna Muffler.  The author used a piece of pipe to add a 10 degree bend and move the muffler outlet back some.

Does this sound familiar?  I've likely got some part of it wrong somehow.  Please help.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Adapting Dyna Muffler
Reply #1 - 03/26/08 at 10:36:54

Is there a reason you want to add an angle.    When I put on a Dyna pipe it bolted right up.    

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?;action=display;num=1190410150

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #2 - 03/26/08 at 13:31:52

Howdy Back:

Because I want to match the degree of offset on a stock muffler and my Jardine.  and I want to extend the muffler outlet back past the rear axle.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 03/26/08 at 18:35:58

Ok,  hmmmmm....somethings to think about,

1) Remember that when you sit on the bike the swing arm changes angle, so you will never get a straight line up to anything other than the header pipe.  
2) The stock muffler is shaped funny so to make anything line up like that will be a real task.  
3) many people use Sporster mufflers and they sometimes need the angled pipe.   Sorry , not sure why, could be the mounting brackets.

Suggest trying a muffler shop to bend the pipe..  

You will need to do the following to get the "right" angle (pun intended): Get a piece of household wire (12-2 works good), then have someone sit on the bike. Line up the muffler how you think it looks best.  Support it some how (blocks of wood, old books, piles of magazines).  Then stand back and look at it.  Do a walk around too.  Once you're happy,  take that  wire and using the centerline of the muffler and the centerline of the pipe,  bend it to the angle you need.   Muffler shop can work from there.

Good Luck.   Send Pict's when done Grin

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/26/08 at 18:44:07

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/26/08 at 18:35:58:
they sometimes need the angled pipe.   Sorry , not sure why, could be the mounting brackets.

I think that the reason most people want the angled pipe is to keep the exhaust from dumping straight out on the rear brake arm and adjuster.  I have a Mac on mine and there are times I wish I had something with more of an angle in it for exactly that reason.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 03/26/08 at 18:52:15

steely wrote on 03/26/08 at 18:44:07:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/26/08 at 18:35:58:
they sometimes need the angled pipe.   Sorry , not sure why, could be the mounting brackets.

I think that the reason most people want the angled pipe is to keep the exhaust from dumping straight out on the rear brake arm and adjuster.  I have a Mac on mine and there are times I wish I had something with more of an angle in it for exactly that reason.

Aaaaaa  I see.....

And now I know why I like my turn out.... plus it distracts the cagers on their mobile phones in the  lane next to me Grin

---
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/26/08 at 18:56:29

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/26/08 at 18:52:15:
plus it distracts the cagers on their mobile phones in the  lane next to me Grin

Hmmmmm, My next exhaust may have to be a turnout... Grin

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #7 - 03/26/08 at 22:20:30

If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember someone on this forum suggesting turning the rear brake arm around to eliminate the issue of the exhaust soot from collecting on the arm itself.  If anyone has done this, please comment for I’m about install my Dyna exhaust on my bike and while I’m getting my tires replaced, I could flip the arm around.  It looks to me that the brake cable will still clear the tire.  Either way, I will be flipping the arm around and will comment if I find that this works.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:20:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adapting Dyna Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.