Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this? Should it be removed? (Read 192 times)
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
What is this? Should it be removed?
03/25/08 at 14:24:36

Hello all - 1st of I want to say thank you to everyone for their help and recommendations on suzukisavage.com

I have removed my head cover to replace the plug and replace a snapped bolt. I found an interesting wire mesh piece that somebody must have installed to filter out the oil going into the head.

My question is should I remove this piece. I have included pictures for your viewing. Thanks

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: What is this? Should it be removed?
Reply #1 - 03/25/08 at 14:39:58

looks pretty cheesy to me,  out it goes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 03/25/08 at 14:48:59

There's one of those metal mesh jobbies in my upper section too. One might have been an owner mod but two or more makes me think factory. Whassup as the whipper-snappers are wont to say?

Jack

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/25/08 at 15:07:55

That is factory, or at least the clymers manual references it. They simply call it "wire mesh." So, I would say leave it.

JakeB

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 03/25/08 at 15:07:58

mine had a pice of what looked like a steel wool pad. same as in the clymer manual pics. the holes in that screen look too large.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #5 - 03/25/08 at 15:13:58

rigidchop wrote on 03/25/08 at 15:07:58:
mine had a pice of what looked like a steel wool pad. same as in the clymer manual pics. the holes in that screen look too large.

Maybe the PO was working on it and lost the original and put that piece in instead. Huh

I think it's just supposed to catch the tiny oil droplets before they go out through the breather, keeping more oil in the crankcase and less in the airbox.  Grin

JakeB

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 03/25/08 at 16:12:58

leave it - keeps quit a lot of the oil from going out the breather tube

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 03/25/08 at 16:54:14

That's the oil seperator and should be put in the top cyl head assy (not in the cyl) just before the breather tube and keeps oil from being pumped ( sucked) out. See #41
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...
Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/25/08 at 17:14:06

All those that said breather filter or oil separator  Smiley

The rest.... good god, don't you have a manual?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Baby Hog
YaBB Newbies

CustomSavage is the
Game...Customizing
is MY Name!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 03/25/08 at 17:16:32

I just took mine apart last night and saw the same thing I just hadn't had the time to ask the question yet!

I thought it was a little out of place but if it does that then I guess it prob should stay Roll Eyes

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 03/25/08 at 17:45:48

Yep leave it in ...  

BTW....  you can tell who has worked on old engines and those that haven't ...  The days before PCV valves....   Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/25/08 at 19:53:23

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/25/08 at 17:45:48:
Yep leave it in ...  

BTW....  you can tell who has worked on old engines and those that haven't ...  The days before PCV valves....   Wink

That was at the latest early sixties, when most engines still has just blow by tubes, except motorcycles and atv's which kept the simple blow tube into the eighties. The pcv is great, because it allows the crankcase vapors to be sucked out instead of just staying in the engine and creating sludge. That is another reason to get an engine up to temp and keep it there a while, allowing the oil to reach operating temp and vaporizing the volitile junk in it and the moisture then get sucked out and burned. On the Savage there is no pcv because the crank vent is before the carb, but still in the intake tract. A pcv is used after the carb/throttle body because it is in the portion of the intake that is senitive to vaccum. The pcv has a valve and calibrated spring inside that does'nt allow a huge vaccum loss that would upset the engine. Pcv's and egr's are both good for engines, and to remove either could only lead to decreased engine longevity. There is still even non-detergent oil out there for ppl who have antique vehicles that might be sensitive to modern oils(modern seal material should allow modern oil to be run). Sometimes during an oil change, when the drain plug is still out, I take the vent hose off the head and blow low pressure air thru the sreen, thinking if anything is gumming it up it will be blown out(where? yes back into the engine Shocked). If crankcase pressure is not realsed durning engine operation, oil will begin to leak from the weakest seals, and there will also be excessive oil consumtion past the piston rings. I know this from older engines where a dirt dobber has made a nest in the vent hose, plugging it up.
Some racers put that sort of sreen material in the head where the oil drains back into the crankcase, in case of upper engine failure large chunks of material won't drain back and ruin the bottom end before the engine can be shut down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this? Should it be removed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.