Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with new/old savage maintenance questions (Read 152 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Newbie with new/old savage maintenance questions
03/25/08 at 09:52:15

Greetings to all. I Just bought an 87' Savage and have a few maintenance questions, one of which is the dreaded oil topic.

When I picked up the bike from the private seller, I asked him what kind of oil he was using. He said "10W-40 Synthetic only since I bought the bike, and I had it changed right before I stored it for the winter." The bike was in N.J. I asked him if he changed the oil himself. He said no, and told me the name of the shop that did his oil changes. I called the shop to ask what oil they use on their old savages, and he said Castrol synthetic blend 10W-40. I will do my own oil change soon, but am a bit concerned about topping off what's in there right now. The oil looks super clean through the window. Does anyone suggest changing oil after winter storage?

Also, the area around the belt drive (back/deep into the wheel) looks like it could use a bit of lube, and I noticed while riding at slow speeds that the front wheel has a bit of a squeak. Any suggestions on grease?

Sorry for the oil question, but I have to question if what the seller was telling me about his oil changes was accurate. I say this because he insisted that the bike was a 5 speed. It's a 1987 Savage, they didn't make them with a 5 speed that year. During my test ride I looked for 5th, and obviously it didn't exist. I bought the bike anyway and am happy I did. It's a lot of fun to ride. When I came back to pick up the bike after getting a tag, I said 4 speed yes? He said, "no it's a 5."

So, I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any suggestions from forum members regarding this topic, or any addional information you may find helpful.

Thanks in advance.

FSO
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Newbie with new/old savage maintenance questio
Reply #1 - 03/25/08 at 09:56:50

Go to the previous owner and slap him upside the head and tell him to learn to count.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/25/08 at 10:00:52

Congratulations and yes, if the bike is an '87 with original equipment, it's a 4-speed.  If you had changed the oil yourself before storing it for the winter, I'd answer that you shouldn't worry and just go by mileage for changes.  In this case, if it were me, I'd change the oil and filter for my own peace of mind - regardless of how clean it looked in the sightglass.  That way you learn the most basic maintenance routine immediately and you know what's in your engine and how long it's been there.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 03/25/08 at 10:19:57

the guy i bought my 97 off of thought it was a 4 speed...

welcome!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/25/08 at 10:24:22

Shift pattern should be listed on the side cover by where the shift lever goes in.    there is a possibility the engine was swapped.

As for oil, a "synthetic blend" is a mixed oil.  Dirve the bike and at next oil change go full synthetic.    It's more expensive, but well worth it.   And,  if you are not too  familiar reading the oil spec's on the bottle, then stay with a Motorcycle rated oil.   It will say it on the label.

Please don't ask us which brand.....  this thread would turn into a 20 page dissertation..... use the brand that you like or that your mechanic likes to use in their vehicles.

I see you picked up the bike in NJ.   I'm East-side of PA,  are you close by?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 03/25/08 at 11:57:31

Thanks for all of the quick responses, you people are a serious bunch!

I already knew that there was no fifth gear when I asked the second time, that's kind of why I found his oil answer to be questionable, when he said that there was.....twice.

Regardless, I'm not going to ask which brand of oil to use. I know that its a personal preference. Kind of like the "What kind of camera should I buy?" I hear so much of on photo forums. Drives everyone nuts.

T-Mack, I'm at the Shore. First ride after taking ownership on this bike was 20 miles on the GS Parkway. She held up nice.

FSO
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 03/25/08 at 15:18:22

he probably thought neutral counted as a speed  Roll Eyes

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 03/25/08 at 17:53:06

photojoe FSO wrote on 03/25/08 at 11:57:31:
T-Mack, I'm at the Shore. First ride after taking ownership on this bike was 20 miles on the GS Parkway. She held up nice.

20 miles pre-beach-season.......  and you only did  20 miles   Wink

Enjoy it before the crowds come.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 03/26/08 at 00:37:38

How close are you to Edison?

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with new/old savage maintenance questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.