Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
problem adjusting valves (Read 278 times)
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
problem adjusting valves
03/23/08 at 15:52:45

Hi,

I'm attempting a valve adjustment for the first time and can't get the TDC bolt cover (the little cutout with the notch in the big generator (?) cover on the left side) to come off. How do you remove this?

I've been spraying it with PB Blaster and tapped it with a screwdriver to try to loosen it, and I think I broke out a piece of it inside the slot, which is now inside the case. I don't know for sure.

Can somebody tell me how to get this little cover off, or if I should just take the entire larger cover off, and confirm there's no sliver floating around inside? If I do this what do I have to watch out for?

I have the Suzuki shop manual but it's not the best. Sad

Thanks in advance,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: problem adjusting valves
Reply #1 - 03/23/08 at 16:18:21

There is a tool for getting that off, search and you may find it in the TDC thread.  Lools like a tire tool with end ground like a big screw driver.

Last time I used 2 screwdrivers, one to fill up the space and turned it with the other one.  As I had put a new o-ring in it came off easily.  The 1st time was a be otch.  And yeah got a chip in the slot.  You don't need to pound on them like an old screw.  Maybe just put a piece of wood over it hit to break any corrosion.  Shouldn't be any though, dam thing is oiled from the inside.

Some have said a big washer will break it loose but I don't think so.  I have big ones and all they did was twist.  maybe if you use the washers to take up space and keep from damaging the plug.  1 on each side of the biggest screwdriver you got.   Grin  hope this helps

WWW   IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #2 - 03/23/08 at 16:38:27

Thanks I'll look and see if I have a tire tool like that, I used to. I tried a washer and a quarter, turning it with pliers, but it just bent them.

Do I need to worry about the little bit of metal inside the slot I chipped out that fell inside? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/23/08 at 18:55:28

any bit of metal left to wander on it's own will find a place you don't want to be sooner or later.  If in fact you did loose a piece of that plug, you better go in and get it.

another way is 2 screwdrivers as wide apart as will still fit in the jaws of a monkey wrench.  Hold the screwdrivers steady and turn with the wrench.  This most likely damage the slot a little, but since you've already done that might be the way to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 03/23/08 at 19:12:24

didn't someone make a tool with a big angle iron like a bed rail?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #5 - 03/23/08 at 19:22:59

Thanks. I guess I need to replace that cover since oil blows out of it (I started it and ran it for about 10 seconds--hasn't been run since last September or so).

So I'll be needing:
- tool to get the thing off (tried various screwdrivers, chisels, other wide flat objects--don't work)
- new cover
- gasket for the larger cover

Anything else? I don't really want to ride it to a shop with the bit of metal floating around, so I might as well do this all next weekend. Sad

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/23/08 at 22:27:38

Looks like you need a shotgun.

No! No! just kidding.   Grin

Get 2 hammers, 2 big screwdrivers and a friend with timing.

You tap left side going down and he taps right side going up or vice versa.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 03/23/08 at 23:47:27

If you can't find one of some regular brand like Craftsmanm, Mac or Proto  to buy; you can buy an old 1/2" drive socket and have a weld shop make you a socket like this (or similar):

I've had that one since the 70s, and don't remember where I got it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/24/08 at 02:56:56

To help the coarsely threaded "O" ring tensioned large flat slotted aluminum timing cover insert to come out easier do this first.  

Put a little light oil on it (a drop or two of motor oil would be fine) to help lubricate the initial motion of the "O" ring as it is in full compression "stiction" mode right now between the cover material and the round button material.

Next, take your small nylon face hammer (craftsman makes a good one, has nylon and rubber faces about the size of a normal hammer) and put a couple of mild light whacks right in the middle of the round insert.  This compresses the coarse threaded engagement from one side of the thread clearance to the other and exercises a little bit of the oil you just put down on the outside of the round thingie to break up the "O" ring stiction a bit.

Now it will turn out fairly easily using your home made tool.  Remember to put the round thingie back kinda mildly torqued when you put it back in.  A bit of grease on the "O" ring and threads is helpful to keep the stiction monster away for next time.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/24/08 at 04:34:19

By using other washers to sandwich the middle "drive" washer, you can build a tool that works. File/grind the washer to fit the curve of the slot. The fit the other 2 washers to the one that fits the slot, only get rid of the metal just along the edge that slips in the slot. Now, IF a guy drilled a few holes in the outer washers & had tthen welded up, the 3 washers would just be hard as heck to mess up. You could treat then , to make them tougher than just washers. Heat them up orangish & drop them in oil.
Sorry ya busted the plug, It IS just the plug, right? Not the whole sidecover?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #10 - 03/24/08 at 08:21:34

Thanks all for the suggestions.

- the tool. I have tried various items but none have worked so far. I'll go to Sears and see if I can find a big slotted thing like in the picture. At Lowes last night I did find a masonry chisel that looked like it might work, but it was too long. If it's not too expensive from Suzuki I'll just get theirs.

- I've sprayed the cover with PB Blaster and tapped with a hammer through a folded piece of cardboard. Thing still doesn't budge, at least with the normal tools I have.

- I broke out the piece of the center slot that fell inside by trying to tap at an angle with a screwdriver, trying to turn it off to break it.

- I don't really have a way to make tools, unfortunately.

Why didn't Suzuki make this with a normal bolt or nut you could remove with a wrench or socket? I hate this special tool required crap--one of the main drawbacks of american cars.

Well I'll call the Aurora Suzuki when they open and see what they say. Does anyone have any parts I should add to the list? Since this is looking like a bigger job, should I do anything besides adjust the valves? Bike is a 2001 (?) and has about 6000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #11 - 03/24/08 at 11:09:14

I use a large thick washer that fits nice inside the slot (available at Lowe's, Home Depot etc) clamped in a visegrip. Workes good without boogering the slot Wink KISS

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 03/24/08 at 12:20:13

I'm confused(nothing new Grin)If you broke off a piece of the inspection cover,how did it get inside the motor?

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/24/08 at 16:02:29

Demin wrote on 03/24/08 at 12:20:13:
I'm confused(nothing new Grin)If you broke off a piece of the inspection cover,how did it get inside the motor?

If I understand correctly (a very dubious proposition)  Wink, I believe that he punched the screwdriver through the slot and knocked a piece off of the inside of the inspection cover into the engine.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #14 - 03/24/08 at 16:18:45

Ahhhh.Now I see. Huh

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE