Leaking Carb Question (Read 211 times)
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Leaking Carb Question
03/23/08 at 13:58:23

Sorry this might be kinda long....

I have a 96 Savage that I purchased last summer with 1800 miles on it.  Put about 1000 miles on it last summer and am now in the middle of getting it ready for this season.

Well yesterday I put the battery back in and fired it up, after some work I managed to get it going but it would only turn over for about 5-10 seconds before dying, if I let it idle it would die right away.  After doing this a few times I notice a serious amount of fuel dripping down from above and in front of the carb. If I switched the fuel line to PRI the fuel would keep trickle for a time, even with the bike off.

So after seeing this I did the following:

1. Took off the fuel tank and tested all the fuel lines, all were good
2. Replaced the spark plug
3. Charged the battery
4. Put it all back together and gave it another shot

It fired right up and sounded much better than before, but then after about 20 seconds of idling the fuel leak came back.  So I took it back apart and after lots of trial and error I finally found the leak, it was coming from the 2 vent hoses attached to the carb.

So I'm thinking I have a problem inside the carb, however I have no experience with carbs so I am very hesitant to open it up.  So here is my question, I took the carb out today and am going to give it to a mechanic friend who will have a look at it, but I went on ebay and bought a "Stage 1 jet kit that includes a #50 Slow jet, a #150 main jet, 2 new needle spacers and 4 new allen head bolts to replace your soft phillips head vacuum lid bolts".

Is it ok for my friend to simply install these pieces in the stock carb even though I have the stock muffler?  I've read a lot of posts on here about the stock carb running too lean (backfires) and am under the impression that this kit I bought will fix that problem.

Hopefully while he is in the carb he will find the source of the fuel leak as well.

Sorry if my terms are a little off here, Im very new to any mechanical work and I've only been riding a year.....

Any insight would be appreciated on the jet kit or the possible cause of the leak.

Thanks....

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Leaking Carb Question
Reply #1 - 03/23/08 at 14:11:43

While he has it apart,you might want to put a needle,and seat in it.That's usually the problem when they leak.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #2 - 03/23/08 at 14:24:34

So the stock needle and seat should be replaced?  Will do.. should I just order the OEM parts or is there an 'upgrade'?

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 03/23/08 at 14:25:27

I had a very similar problem.  Here's what I did.

I changed the needle valve and seat.  Upon very close inspection, you will see a ring around the tip of the rubber needle end.  This will be VERY small and hard to see.  Mine was only visible in direct sunlight.

After changed the needle valve and seat, check the float level on your carb.  If you can, make it close to 28 mmm.  This is measured up-side down.  This in effect give you a low fuel level (but within specs).  

This should fix your problem.

I pulled my hair out over this one and was about to sell my bike off CHEAP, but this was the fix.

Cheers

T-maker

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/23/08 at 14:30:11

OE parts.I'm not sure if there is an upgrade.If there is LANCER would know.

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #5 - 03/23/08 at 14:35:54

alright new needle and seat it is. Being a complete noobie, im not quite sure exactly which parts those are.... If I go to bikebandit and then go to the carb section there are a couple of "needle" parts and nothing labeled "seat".  Could you guys tell me which pieces you are talking about in the carb diagram?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/suzuki-motorcycle-ls650pt-savage...

Im assuming #10 is the Needle that I need.... and the #11 is the needle jet that I already got in the "jet kit" package I described above.

thanks....

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 03/23/08 at 15:20:41

Number 19 : VALVE ASSY,NEED 481751-001

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #7 - 03/23/08 at 15:40:47

ahh, was hoping it wasnt one of the more expensive parts!

Thanks man

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/23/08 at 16:25:25

You might read around, someone gave a carb only site.
They had parts sepparately.  You might find the needle by itself.
I thought I saw one for about $12 somewhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #9 - 03/23/08 at 16:51:21

yeah I checked out that carb only site after reading around, it didnt have any of the specific pieces though, looked like it only had the bowl, so I went ahead and ordered the part from Bikebandit.   So I'm correct in saying that the #19 piece is the needle valve and seat?  Thats all I should need for this right?

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #10 - 03/28/08 at 11:50:44

I am also looking at buying one of the Stage I or II jet kits from ebay.  Do they seem to work okay for you?  I just bought the Screamin' Eagle muffler on ebay for my S40 and want to upgrade the jets too.  I posted a question earlier today about which jet kit to buy.  I was referred to something that Lancer sells, but I can't find it on here yet.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #11 - 03/28/08 at 12:21:49

Not sure how its gonna work yet cause I dont have it back up and running, but when I do get it going I'll make sure to let you know.

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #12 - 03/30/08 at 11:03:17

Well finally got my carb apart, replaced the main and slow jets with a 150 and 50 and put 2 #4 washers in for the spacer.  Cleaned the whole thing (was little bits of gunk in it) and got it back on my bike.  It fired right up with the choke on.  

After letting it warm up I pushed the choke on and it wanted to die unless I kept it going with the throttle.  I went back and forth with this for about 30 minutes but the thing just wouldnt idle without dying.  I took it up and down my street to warm it up and it rode just fine, just would always die with idle.

I am now thinking that this is a problem with my mixture idle screw, so I think im going to drill that out and try to get to it.  But heres the interesting part, I did all of this work last night, but now I just went out and tried to start it and it wont turn over.  Im recharging the battery as we speak (hope its as simple as a weak battery) but im not so sure.

Any thoughts on the inability to idle or why it wont start now?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 03/30/08 at 11:08:59

Check connections under the tank, they could have come loose when you re-installed the tank after your carb mods.

As for the dieing at idle, can't help you. I have tried everything suggested on this site and I still can't get mine to stop flooding out and dieing at idle. Hopefully on my next days off, I will have the time to go completely through my carb again and find the culprit.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #14 - 03/30/08 at 11:31:44

Could the reason it won't turn over be one of the safety features? Clutch, neutral, kickstand?

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:18:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.