Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
am confused with fuel leak (Read 151 times)
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
am confused with fuel leak
03/23/08 at 11:24:29

Hi guys & gals... I need help!  I replaced my battery yesterday, the bike started right up. I let it idle about 5 minutes then turned her off & put the plastics back on. A short while later, I started her back up to put in shed & she started ok, but then sputtered & I noticed gas pouring out from under the tank on the left side!! I don't see any cracked lines or any reason why. I just removed the tank, following directions from a thread in here  (thanks} and still see no reason why! There are 2 vacuum lines coming off each side of the carb, could that be it? The bike has been gently ridden by me..I put 4500 miles on her last summer & need to get ready for some ride time!  Any help or suggestions would surely help!   Thanks, Dee Sad

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: am confused with fuel leak
Reply #1 - 03/23/08 at 13:24:22

Those aren't vacuum lines,those are bowl vents.Make sure you didn't switch the vacuum line with one of them.The vac line is the one on the right side of carb towards the front,it goes to the petc0ck.Bowl vents go into the frame.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - 03/23/08 at 22:59:47

Make sure the petc0ck is on correctly.  When I bought mine someone had installed the pet0cock with the tubes switched.

IP Logged
Savagebrit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/26/08 at 10:47:42

Someone had installed my petock without puting sealant between the petock and Fuel tank, having now done this i have no leaking problems.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/26/08 at 11:14:57

Dee,
 First check out Savage Greg Carb posting,  some very good pict's.   that way you will give the correct name for what you see.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Next,  I see you're in PA.  I'm in the Allentown area.  There are other members in the middle, and west-side.  Also a person that occasionally posts from the Scranton area....

T-Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Tracy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/28/08 at 07:00:33

Hi Dee, If the leak is coming from under the tank yes, it is probably coming from the vacuum tubes you mentioned. This could  happen if the float gets stuck open....Happened to me with 600 miles I freaked! Gas pouring out from under the tank onto red hot everything. Anyway, it was an easy fix

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #6 - 03/28/08 at 08:54:20

Same type of leak happened to me about 2 weeks ago.  Im in the middle of replacing the float valve, word on the street that this is most likely the culprit.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #7 - 03/28/08 at 09:08:46

Either the needle valve and seat are bad or the petcock.  I replaced my needle valve and seat and some of the leak was gone.  Now I ride with the petcock on "PRI" and no leaks.  So my issue is petcock.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
Reply #8 - 03/29/08 at 06:06:59

Thanks so much for your reply....I took off the tank...removed the bottom bowl & the floats seemed fine. I cleaned the area & put back together & all is fine!!  I am waitng for my right foot peg & will be riding next week if the temp gets up to at least 60 degrees without rain!!! Smiley

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › am confused with fuel leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.