Send Topic Print
Windshield for SAVAGE (Read 512 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Re: Windshield for SAVAGE
Reply #15 - 04/30/08 at 16:53:18

Put a JC Whitney tinted sport windshield on the bike, Look good. Only 161/2 " wide and 18" high.This comb works great for me, and it keeps the wind of my upper body really well. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #16 - 05/01/08 at 12:44:08

Jimmer,

How tall are you, and where does the wind blast hit you? Or does it go over your head? I'm about 5'8", with the suzuki shield, and the wind blast slaps my head around no matter how I align the shield.

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #17 - 05/01/08 at 13:32:41

Aerodynamics comes into play with the angle of the shield and it's distance in front of you, but depending on it's size it will only be able to do so much.  I'm 6' tall and the shield that I have now is 17" or so.  No matter what I do with it, I still get slapped in the forehead with wind.  That's why I'm upgrading to the Memphis.  I need a few more inches on top to deflect that blast above my head.  It's still a hundred times better than nothing at all, but I'm tired of the headaches from long rides at highway speed.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 05/01/08 at 13:46:52

"Slaps my head around" is relative . . .  just as is "excessive vibration."

Photo taken early morning, September 12th, 2007 -- I'm packed and about to leave on my L.A. - O.K.C. trip.

Note the windshield -- it is a National Cycle Street Shield, the top edge of which is between chin and nose height, depending on how I'm sitting.  I did not notice the wind slapping my head around at Interstate speeds.  I also did not notice the bike being slapped around by gusts/eddies off the big rigs.  This is likely 'cause I'm more tolerant of a little wind and/or compensate quicker.

When it comes to windshields you have a range of sizes from the 9x9 flyscreen to full fairings that protect the hands and well as keeping *ALL* the wind off the head/body.  

« Last Edit: 06/12/11 at 13:56:33 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #19 - 05/02/08 at 16:49:25

Paladin. wrote on 05/01/08 at 13:46:52:
"Slaps my head around" is relative

Is being buffeted enough to cause blurred vision relative enough?  Wink

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 05/02/08 at 17:42:08

That didn't happen to me 'cept the one time on the Harbor Frwy -- I attributed it to the vibrations of the thumper rattling the eyeballs in the skull.  But then Sluggo noted that the Harbor is far from being smooth pavement.

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #21 - 05/03/08 at 05:40:20

4 of the 7.5 mile ride to work every morning is right alongside a river.  On a windy day I get the blurred vision too.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #22 - 05/03/08 at 14:44:34

Bear Rider
I'm about 5'10 . I raised the shield about 21/2 inches off the headlight and 2" of slant back from vertical. The wind goes over my head, very little movement of my helmet. I agree with Mr. Paladin a lot of your movement   might be vibration. Hope this helps. Keep asking questions,there are quite knowledgeable people on this site.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #23 - 05/03/08 at 15:41:07

i had the same problem with the oem suzuki windshield. It seemed alot worse than not have a windshield at all. Then I went to the memphis fats 21" and I like it alot. I will still take it off when the weather gets a little warmer, but it is great for the cold or rainy days.
Just one mans opinion.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #24 - 05/03/08 at 17:21:45

Jimmer wrote on 05/03/08 at 14:44:34:
Bear Rider
I'm about 5'10 . I raised the shield about 21/2 inches off the headlight and 2" of slant back from vertical. The wind goes over my head, very little movement of my helmet. I agree with Mr. Paladin a lot of your movement   might be vibration. Hope this helps. Keep asking questions,there are quite knowledgeable people on this site.

That's about the rake that my windshield is set at now. However, it's only about 15" above the headlight. It's an improvement over the two previous settings. However, I think that the major improvement lies in the fact that I'm not bucking 40mph headwinds this week.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield for SAVAGE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.