Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help!  Still leaking fuel (Read 154 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Help!  Still leaking fuel
03/20/08 at 09:28:29

Hi All.

To say I am frustrated is an extreme understatement.  I have replaced my needle valve and seat in the carb.  I have cleaned and cleaned stuff and the leak is still there.  I am fine until I fill my tank and then at  20-30 mph I start leaking fuel out of the vents in the carb.  I haven't a clue as to what is wrong.  I have check the vacuum diaphram and it seems fine.  Could it be the slide is sticking and keeping the needle up so fuel enters the bottom of the carb?

I am at a loss.  Can someone help?

Cheers

T-maker

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Help!  Still leaking fuel
Reply #1 - 03/20/08 at 10:00:31

The vents should go to/come from the fuel bowl.  

Where do you have your vents routed.  They should go up under the tank.   Too low and you might get leakage....  maybe....  hmmmmmm

Normally if you get gas out of the vent tubes, you have a flooded engine......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 03/20/08 at 10:17:43

Maybe the gas cap is bad and not venting. When I fill my gas tank up I can hear it vent air as it expands. Maybe pressure is building up and forcing it's way into the carb.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 03/20/08 at 11:09:12

stock carb? you may consider getting soem 3/16" vac caps and capping the vac ports onthe carb & petc0ck, then run the bike on PRI.  fixed a similar problem for me on Lancer's performance carb.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 03/20/08 at 11:29:07

when you had it apart was the float empty?

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #5 - 03/20/08 at 13:42:42

NO..Carb had fuel in bowl.  I stopped by my local shop. They told me the float level is just too high and when I corner, fuel runs up into the vent lines.  My lines are short...maybe 5 inches long so they can't go up under the tank.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Kustomjim

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/20/08 at 14:21:39

Is there a chance you may have reversed your fuel inlet hose and the vacuum hose?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/20/08 at 15:38:37

Toymaker wrote on 03/20/08 at 13:42:42:
NO..Carb had fuel in bowl.  I stopped by my local shop. They told me the float level is just too high and when I corner, fuel runs up into the vent lines.  My lines are short...maybe 5 inches long so they can't go up under the tank.

Any part of that true?
leaks while cornering or leaks when ever over 20?
How about rough roads?
And when you go faster?

Couple things I would check:
float level (as they suggested), do you have a drain tap on the bottom of the carb?  attach a clear line, hold it up next to the carb, open drain.  the level should come up to the bowl gasket when the bike is level.
Pressure in the tank? crack open the gas cap.
You cleaned the carb, so did every thing get put back together correctly?  Some things are easy to misplace and still assemble.

There's an opening in the backside of the frame that supports the tank, the vent tubes should reach that point.  Or have you tied them up so they don't fall over?

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 03/20/08 at 16:01:26

« Last Edit: 10/07/08 at 15:38:21 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/20/08 at 17:00:48

your petcock is bad. Mine did the same thing and despite all other efforts only replacing the petcock stopped the leaking.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #10 - 03/21/08 at 10:59:28

I'd like to thank everyone  for their input.  I managed to get to work today with almost no problems.  I think the issue has resolved itself and here's why.  This morning I used the choke to start.  Ok...no problem, but then on my way to work (about 2 miles out), I have to make a slow "s" turn.  The bike leans over a ways.  I checked it right afterward and bingo, leaking fuel...but not much, just about the amount that might leak if you leaned the bike over.  After that, I checked it again at about 6 miles out and nothing, plus, I was on highway with no leaning.  Coming home today, no fuel anywhere and I was leaning like crazy (well, maybe not crazy, but still leaning)...and nothing.

I will be checking the float level and dropping it a little and getting new vent lines because my are short and I think the prob is solved.

Cheers
T-maker

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/21/08 at 21:38:06

I have to vote with Rocky on this;  99% of the time ... well, maybe not 99 but most of the time anyway ... with a leak of this nature the problem is with the petcork.  I have had several folks over the past few years who after receiving a brand new carb kit have had problems with fuel leakage and inspite of my insistance that the petcork is responsible they go here, there, and everywhere on the engine until they finally come back to the petcork.............yep, that is where the problem was all along.  
Take the little puppy apart and replace every gasket and seal, or replace the entire assembly as a whole with a new one.
Whatever happened to the good old reliable ON/OFF valve ? ?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 03/22/08 at 05:56:41

« Last Edit: 10/07/08 at 15:37:51 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com