Send Topic Print
Bike Won't Start... (Read 177 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Bike Won't Start...
03/17/08 at 06:22:50

This morning I tried to start my '02 Savage to get to work, but couldn't get it to run. The battery is almost drained now (I was fairly frustrated in the morning...).

The starter turned over maybe 20 times, but the engine didn't catch. It was on full choke each time. I also start my bike in neutral, and this morning after a few minutes with no luck I tried it in first gear, and the bike tried to move forward each time the starter clicked on. It felt like the gear was partially engaged even with the clutched pulled in.

Something else that might factor in is the weather, it was about 25 degrees this morning when I tried to start it.

Anyone have any helpful hints as to what I can do? I really want to get my bike in working order, as the good weather is almost here!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Bike Won't Start...
Reply #1 - 03/17/08 at 06:48:15

gas?

if it's been sitting for a while, the battery may be strong enough to turn it over, but not start it.  charge the battery or get a new one... to start with

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 03/17/08 at 06:53:20

I had it out last thursday and filled it up then, so it should be full minus a few miles worth of gas.

I'm thinking it might be the oil, so I'm going to check that tonight.

--
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 03/17/08 at 06:53:24

One, pull your battery.  Make sure all of your cells are topped up with distilled water, then place the battery on a charger.

Two, make sure you start the bike in Neutral.  In cold weather, the oil is very viscous (thick).  It coats engine parts and the clutch like honey.  When you try to start the bike in gear, the cold oil grabs the clutch plates and 'sticks' adding stress to the starter.  In neutral, the engine is disengaged from the transmission so the clutch is free to spin.  

Three, when did you last ride? When did you last fill your tank?    Did you add fuel stablizer before you put it away?  If the answer to the questions is a while ago and no, then drain your tank and add fresh fuel.  (ethanol blended fuels break down after a short period of storage and can draw water in from the air).

Four, if the above suggestions do not help, pull your spark plug and look at its condition.  The electrode should be light gray to light tan.  Black soot means it is running too rich and will foul out.  White soot means it is running too lean and is burning itself up.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 03/17/08 at 06:58:30

Technically the bike was never put away for winter, I've been able to take it out every week or so (never sat longer than two weeks). Last fill up was Thursday of last week with Shell's Super 93....

I don't have access to a battery charger, unfortunately, though if I can get it started once, I was planning a 120 mile trip this weekend, and my destination does have a charger I could use.

--
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 03/17/08 at 07:05:47

If you don't have access to a charger, you're going to have a hard time getting the bike started.  There is no real good access for attaching jumper cables while still attached to the bike.

Pull your battery and check the cells.  You'd be suprised, but the cells do tend to dry out over the winter.  Top up any that are low, then go to the auto-parts store and buy a cheap charger.  They're less than $30.00 and some come with pig-tails that you can attach to your battery terminals that will allow for remote charging (without taking the battery out every time).

Worst case senario, you need a new battery.  Any type 14 battery should work, you just have to watch the clearances of the box (use a tape measure). If you do get the new battery, get a maintenance free or 'sealed' battery.  They won't dry out like wet-cells do.  An AGM (absorbed glass mat) is the latest technology and seems to be unaffected by temperature.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 03/17/08 at 07:12:17

Thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can get done tonight with the bike!

--
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 03/17/08 at 07:21:39

I just noticed, you're from Pittsburgh....  What part of town?

I'm over on the west side by the airport.....

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 03/17/08 at 07:25:14

Oakland. I'm a student at the University of Pittsburgh, and live on campus there. Great for learning, not so great for working on a bike...

--
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 03/17/08 at 07:25:49

Some of the problem maybe the battery itself - if the voltage drops below 12.3v or so the Ign will not fire - the engine will turn over but will not fire.

If that is the original battery it's likely toast. Me I'd not fool with it unless I was really sure that battery was good - and replace it with an agm battery - no water to worry with, very low discharge rate when sitting around - everyone needs a Big Crank

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/17/08 at 07:31:53

You can push start your bike, my technique is different than others but it works for me.
push up to speed, hop on, put in 1st, push starter button, let turn a couple then pop the clutch, release starter button.
Why 1st, so you can leave it in gear and roll with it till the engine smooths out.
Why pop the clutch while the starter is going, starter has a one way clutch, also the safety interlocks will disengage the starter as soon as the clutch is let out.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 03/17/08 at 10:07:51

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/17/08 at 07:21:39:
I just noticed, you're from Pittsburgh....  What part of town?

I'm over on the west side by the airport.....

Sounds like a rescue mission in the works........ Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #12 - 03/17/08 at 12:51:40

If you don't have a battery charger you could remove the battery and connect it to your (or a friend's) car battery with jumper cables and let the car run for a while.

That would charge the battery, just cost you a bit in gas.  Undecided

JakeB

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 03/17/08 at 14:55:32

Not the best idea, since the car's alternator produces about 10 times the charging amperage that the bike does.  If you overcharge the battery, all the electrolyte boils off and vents explosively.

Ask me how I know.. (hint.. it involved a garden tractor battery and a Ford Ranger...

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #14 - 03/17/08 at 15:18:46

If you use a car battery(which isn't a good thing to begin with)never have the car running.Same reason as skrapiron said.Even if it doesn't explode,it shortens the battery life substantially.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:19:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Won't Start...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.