Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Banjo bolt washers (Read 148 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Banjo bolt washers
03/16/08 at 15:02:35

I just got done rebuilding the front caliper on the Savage.  As I look at the washers on the banjo bolt, I cannot help but notice that they do not appear to be crush washers.  Do they need to be replaced every time, or only when scored?  The washers that are on there at the moment appear to be pristine.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Banjo bolt washers
Reply #1 - 03/16/08 at 15:07:15

I have reused them with no trouble.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/16/08 at 15:16:12

Cool, that is good to know.  

On a side note: I cannot recommend getting brake parts cleaner into your eyes.  It is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/16/08 at 15:22:11

steely wrote on 03/16/08 at 15:16:12:
Cool, that is good to know.  

On a side note: I cannot recommend getting brake parts cleaner into your eyes.  It is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Umm, yeah.  I'm pretty sure it lists known carcinogens and big warnings on the label about wearing NBC warfare clothing, etc.  Watch out for the brake fluid too.  It'll strip paint pretty well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/16/08 at 15:28:03

It stings too.  I should have known better.  I wasn't wearing my safety glasses, and I should have been.  I can't tell you how many times I have been surprised at the directions carb cleaner will go when squirted into carbs (never in my eyes though).  Yeah, I am always careful about the brake fluid.  I want to keep what little good looking paint I have left on this bike.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 03/16/08 at 15:32:39

Good thing about brake/carb cleaner it only stings for a short time.
I know it doesn't seem like a short time when it's in your eyes. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/16/08 at 15:33:53

That is definitely the bright side.  Plus, it leaves no residue.  Smiley

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 03/17/08 at 03:22:02

....and carb cleaner works very well for finding all kinds of little cuts on your hands you didn't know you had!   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #8 - 03/17/08 at 05:36:16

If you really want an ouchy experience, get yourself a can of air (like what you use for cleaning electronics).

Its propellant is either isobutane or propane.  Not only are the flammable, but ice cold when activated.

Turn the can upside down and you get a below zero blast of air (with liquefied propellant still in the middle).  DONT put exposed skin in the way (instant frost bite).  Worse yet, don't spray it in your eyes (unless its a car jacker and you like your car)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/17/08 at 16:15:40

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/17/08 at 05:36:16:
Turn the can upside down and you get a below zero blast of air (with liquefied propellant still in the middle).  DONT put exposed skin in the way (instant frost bite).  

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way too.  A "buddy" of mine did that to my forearm.  I pulled away quick enough that I don't think I got frost bite, it was more of a frost "nip".  The flesh never turned black, the skin just self-destructed over the next week or so.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 03/20/08 at 14:38:27

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!

I just got the front brakes bled and am ready to get out on the road again.  While I was waiting for parts, I got new tires front and rear and I raised the front of the seat with #7 rubber bottle stoppers, a stick-on rubber furniture pad, and two M6x60mm bolts.  The guys at Lowe's just looked at me like I had an extra head when I asked for the rubber stoppers.  I had to go find them myself.  

The seat mod took me about 15 minutes (not counting the half hour I wasted trying to find parts in the hardware store), and cost me less than $10.  The seat already feels much more comfortable.  I will let you guys know more when I have some significant saddle time.  I am off to go scrub the mold release off of the tires.  

Later!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 03/20/08 at 14:43:06

Congratulations, I understand perfectly about Lowes, that is where I find most of my "aftermarket Savage/S40 parts".

Though yesterday the guy that helped me was very understanding and basically applauded me on my resourcefulness on using just about anything to keep the FireLizard going.  (he must have been a biker at heart)  Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/20/08 at 18:42:07

Heck yeah!  I just got back.  The tires are scrubbed off quite nicely.  The seat mod is very comfy.  My next round of mods will be a cone filter and a carb rejet.  Then I am thinking about removing the useless chrome on the head and the belt guard.  After that, I am considering a swing arm mounted fender and all of the lighting mods that go with that.  Slowly, but surely, this is going to be a bobber.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Banjo bolt washers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.