Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
for those of you with windshields a ? (Read 187 times)
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
for those of you with windshields a ?
03/16/08 at 11:08:32

i was reading about craig vetter and how his fairings increased fuel mileage. some of the newer windshields look alot like the old vetter fairings and should be alot lighter as well. have any of you with a shield noticed an improvement in mileage? and what kind of shield are you running?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: for those of you with windshields a ?
Reply #1 - 03/17/08 at 06:59:45

I have the Suzuki factory bug screen.  It came with the bike when I bought it, so I cannot comment on before and after fuel economy.

It does make a HUGE difference in rider comfort.  Instead of the air blasting me in the middle of the chest, it is deflected around me and over my helmet, making for a much more enjoyable ride, especially on the interstate.

With the carb mods, wind screen and factory exhaust, I am getting 55-60mpg.  I have been as low as 48mpg and as high as 64mpg.  It just depends on how hard I ride and how much stop and go I get caught in.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 03/17/08 at 10:11:48

One of my projects for the summer,  take off the windshield for a few weeks and see what type of mileage I get.  

I have a "used" aftermarket WS that was on my previous bike. Sorry, I don't know the manufacturer.   I like it because it covers the hand grips which helps in cool weather riding.    Can you say: I like feelings in my fingers.....  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 03/17/08 at 10:44:59

There are so many varibles affecting fuel mileage that it would take some very serious testing to verify what savings a windscreen makes.

If you're looking for a little relief from wind pressure, a windscreen is the way to go.  If you are looking for an improvement in fuel mileage there are other things that you can do that will yield much higher mileage increases -- reduce cruising speed, don't slow for corners, watch traffic lights far in advance so as to not stop, kill the engine and coast . . . .  There is a article in this month's Readers' Digest about people getting 100+ mpg in cars -- using practices that I feel are dangerous.

Crossing 150+ miles of the Mojave on CA-62 using Arizona gasoline, running 45-50 mph, I got over 70 mpg.  My normal city riding is around 45 mpg.  I am not very green.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 03/17/08 at 16:35:51

the reason i had asked was, that i had read that some fairings help quite a bit with fuel mileage. 11 mpg and up. that is quite an increase, from just bolting on something to a bike, with no mechanical parts. and i had seen some windshields that look pretty similar to a fairing. just figured maybe someone had noticed.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 03/17/08 at 16:58:31

Ah....   Checked some records and found:

My orginal May Mojave Moon Madness, in 2006, running the flyshield, had a 350 mile round trip average of 57.5 mpg.

A similar run in June '07 was testing the Street Shield / suitcase setup:

Round trip averaged 59 mpg -- about a 2.6% improvement.

WWW   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #6 - 03/17/08 at 17:52:58

I don't know how much riding with/without a screen effects MPG.  I have an OEM windshield that I took off this weekend; the weather is getting warmer.

The screen will deffinetly reduce the wind against your chest.  I always froget how much until I take the thing off! But when it's warm I prefer to ride without the screen.

I prefer the look of the bike without the screen and I feel less "restricted" when I remove the shield.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:30:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › for those of you with windshields a ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.