Whale (Read 3954 times)
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Whale
Reply #60 - 02/12/09 at 06:16:03

does anyone here have his email address?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 02/12/09 at 07:21:24

no one seems to have any further contact info for him. Ideas as to how he might have done it?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 03/04/09 at 12:52:55

Got the tires to mount with a 200 somthing PSI air compressor my friend has for sand blasting etc. Had to use a ratcheting tie down tightened around the tire though to get the bead to set. Now heres the really painful part. Because the gs450 wheel doesnt drop right in two new axle spacers and a sproket spacer need to be machined. I finally got to someone who has the time to do it...300 effin' dollars for three machined peices and to cut the brake rotor down. There aren't enough swear words to express my frustration but between the wheels themselves, new tires, chain, sprockets etc I've already spent that much. I can basically go double or nothing. Now the rear brake assembly is still going to be about 3/4in too far to the left to mate up on the notch on the swingarm so what I'm doing is using the GS brake assembly which uses a removable torque bar(?). Gunna get some short steel piping of the appropriate length crush the ends in a vice, drill the appropriate sized holes through each crushed end and use that as the torque bar attached at the right shock lower mount. Im hesitant with this torque bar idea but am not sure what else I coudl do. Suggestions? I'll get some pics on here once I get those machined peices. I'll post a pic of the diagram for the sprocket spacer too incase anyone else decides to do this. My suggestion to others? Screw it. Balance and true your wheel and seal the spokes with epoxy or fiberglass resin if you want tubeless wheels so bad. I've got a $600 99% sure thing. For all I know sealing the spokes could be just as effective at a fraction of the cost. I might even try it as I've got my spoke rear wheel still sitting in the garage.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 03/13/09 at 21:32:51

Me and onederer both must be idiots because we came to the same initial conclusion IE something must be done to space the sprocket outward. It turns out thats not the case. For the rear wheel you need axle spacers of 42mm long x 17mm ID x 38mm OD. This will put a gs450 wheel just about dead center AND align the front and rear sprockets. What needs to be done both front and back is some jerry rigging with the brakes. Rear brakes - I used the gs450 assembly which uses a torque bar to keep it from spinning with the wheel as you brake. I just fashioned my own bar from piping and mounted it using the lower rear shock bolt. You'll need 14mm and 10mm drill bits for this and the top of the copper torque bar has to be bent in something of a Z shape to clear the swingarm. You'll also need a longer shock bolt . 1/2" x 3" Grade 8 with suitable nut and washers. Couldnt find a 14mm anywhere. 9/16 is too big and 1/2 is too small. I was lucky enough to have a bunch of extra bushings from my set of progressives. One of them fit right over the 1/2 bolt and snuggly fit in place in the 14mm shock mount hole. If you arent already replacing your stock shocks with progressives you'll have to have some sort of bushing made/purchased to take up the extra space with the stock shock mount hole.  Front wheel - My gs450 front wheel came with its own axle spacers and between mixing up the gs and savage spacers im not sure exactly what i ended up with. I chose to have from spacers made aswell but i thought the front axle was also 17mm OD. Its not. The correct dimsenions for front axle spacers is 33mm long x 15mm ID x 40 (roughly)mm OD. This will put your front wheel center. As stated previously you'll have to have the brake rotor machined down to a 10.25" OD and space the brake caliper inward 1/4". To space the caliper I just got some 10mm ID washers from home depot. 3 of them end up at exactly 1/4". You'll also need longer bolts for the caliper. 2 1/2" i believe. Measure the stock bolts and ad an extra 1/4". I will provide pictures of what I've done but Im not promising they'll be up soon. After all is said and done it's not as difficult as I made it seem...or as difficult as i made it even. For anyone else that decides to try this rest assured it does work. It works well. Just dont get frustrated. And be very patient getting the bead to seat on the wheels. Use LOTS of soapy water and a high pressure air pump and it shouldnt be too strenuous.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 06/01/09 at 00:00:23

disregard my previous post as regards the rear wheel. Doing it as i suggested above will work but you'll have a pull to the right as the wheel will be centered in the swingarm which is offset to make space for the pulley in stock configuration. It works okay as is but Im the kind of guy that wants to do a half ass job and get perfect results. No surprise then that I've got to retrace my steps. Still I put 2k+ miles on it with the offset and havent had trouble. The pull is just irritating.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #65 - 06/01/09 at 04:52:19

Dang BP.  You go all out when you mod!

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #66 - 06/01/09 at 08:28:26

Too bad a Harly mag will not work. The sporster mags look the best.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 06/02/09 at 22:30:20

Harley mags do look good but...Ineclipse intends to swap out kawi 454 wheels. He'd be the first but I've seen the rear wheel and its about the same size as the savage. Pretty well offset pulley...like the savage. Im willing to bet his conversion is going to be no more difficult than mine and maybe significanty easier. Its already been determined that the belts will swap.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #68 - 11/08/09 at 22:42:28

I got a gs550l rear and it fit perfectly w/o any mods.
The front is from a gs650, but the disk is from a gs450 and the diameter has to be cut down to match the savage.  I used .25" spacers, but with new pads I needed to space the caliper in a little.

WWW   IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 04/07/14 at 20:07:12

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/09 at 22:42:28:
I got a gs550l rear and it fit perfectly w/o any mods.
The front is from a gs650, but the disk is from a gs450 and the diameter has to be cut down to match the savage.  I used .25" spacers, but with new pads I needed to space the caliper in a little.

What years were the front and rear wheels and disc?   Aside from the spacers did you need anything else besides those 3 main things?   Different hubs,  etc....?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 04/07/14 at 20:09:31

verslagen1 wrote on 04/07/14 at 19:49:08:
The rear wheel was a '80 gs550.  I didn't have any issues with it at all.
stock spacers, brake hub and pulley fit like they were made for it.

On the front, I have a gs650 wheel with the gs450 disc cut down to 10.25"
those are 5mm thick like the savage and have a 6 hole pattern for mounting.  space the disc off the hub by .25" and with new pads I had to space the caliper out by 1 washer (in between caliper and fork).

a 90/90-19 is probably the correct tire for the front, but 100/90 fits just fine.
the rear likes a 130/90-16.  Any bigger and you'll have issues with clearance and the swingarm.

don't know the year of the front.
and no other parts that I can recall.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #71 - 04/08/14 at 04:50:35

Well I guess uigiroux has no issues with the searching the site like others   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #72 - 04/12/14 at 10:51:55

Verslagen how's the mag rear wheel disk brake working out? I keep coming back to this thread most days hoping you've updated. Become like a facebook addiction.  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #73 - 11/14/16 at 11:57:56

I was looking up some info on the GZ250 because the hub looked like it's drilled for the '80's GS style front disk.  
And that led me to the TU250 cause it shares the same hub.
The TU250 has a 18" rim while the GZ250 has a 16" rim.
The only disc catalog that I can find with dimensions is from Gold Fren but it doesn't list either.
I think it was bike specs that listed the front disc as being 275mm vs ours witch is 260mm.
I've taken the GS450 disc and cut it down to 260mm for the savage using GS wheels.

If anybody has any dimension data on the disc's I'd appreciate it.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #74 - 11/14/16 at 13:10:24

I owned two gs550's 80and 82 and a friend owns a 78 gs750 these early bikes all came with mag wheels that were NOT tubeless !Versy said his rim was stamped with the words, for tubeless tires ,best to make sure any purchase you make is too.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:15:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.