ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Whale
Reply #30 - 03/25/08 at 23:16:01

Onederer wrote on 03/25/08 at 20:27:08:

There are a couple of Fat Boys in the garage, and the older one has a D401-130 with a 90% aspect ratio, and well over 11,000 miles is often seen.

I think I took 1 and 1.5mm off the front axle spacers, but the greasy page I scribbled on looks like something the cat threw up.

what color are you gonna paint the wheels?

The 401's 130 have a wopping 12/32 of tread 3 more than the 404's!  No wonder they go so long.

I when I tried it, it looked like it might be a little short.  But I think the fork brace was holding it out.

I'm a cheap b tard going for ugly.  I may rattle can black or the trailer coat stuff some are so found of.  Nothing immediately.  I want to work it out first.  Then pretty.  And I'm at the point where I need to change the front tire.  I put 10k on it myself.  No telling what the PO did.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #31 - 03/26/08 at 17:12:50

Onederer wrote on 03/25/08 at 20:34:59:
Demin wrote on 03/25/08 at 20:07:50:
Put a Wild Flare 150 on mine.I had to put button head bolts in the fender,and had to notch fender mounting holes.I had to slide the fender to the right about 1/8".
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1044526
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1044527

I've seen those, and they look cool. Maximum milage is what I look for, and if the highest millage tire I could get was baby crap green and glowed in the dark, I'd buy it. If looks could kill, but ugly got me further, I'd go ugly all the way.

when i tried the 150 it wouldn't clear the swing arm.... it's an 04

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #32 - 03/26/08 at 18:02:04

Maybe a little design change?I've got about 1/4" at the tightest spot.Could be the design of tire too.I think it's Savage Wahine has the same tire I do,on hers.Ithink hers is a newer bike. Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 03/26/08 at 18:40:01

could be you gotta longer belt too.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #34 - 03/26/08 at 18:45:54

Only has 7,000 miles shouldn't be too stretched.But who knows Grin.
Maybe it's like removing the cylinder head,some will come out,some you have to jack the motor around.Of course when I did my top end the motor had to come out. Sad

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 03/26/08 at 18:58:03

Looked at the 401 cheapest is $95
I got the 404 for $65
I put 10k on it.  2k for $30, I'll stick with the 404's

5/8" clearance at the swingarm with a new 140 404.
I doubt that all swingarms and belts are created equal.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #36 - 03/26/08 at 19:04:02

I went with the cheap Chinese tires on mine.  The Cheng Shin tires on my GS850 have served me admirably.  They wear well, grip decently, and the center groove is about the best thing I have found in the rain.  I like them.  I went to the local bike salvage/after market dealer/RE dealer here in town.  I paid a little less than $160 for mine, mounted and balanced.  I did have the wheels off of the bike though.  They work a darn sight better than the original (20k+ mile) front and squared off back tire that were on it.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 04/27/08 at 21:06:35

Found my hardware for mounting the front disk finally, only a week after I quit looking for it and ordered a new set.  Oh well, I'll be better off with a new set of bolts.  Cleaned up the rim, mounted a new D404 (he he tubeless) and balanced her.  Had trouble getting her to seat.  A liberal application of dish washing soap solved that.  One of the spacers that came with the wheel (which also included the axle) was just the right size 1.28" and it put the wheel within .02" of being perfectly centered between the forks.

OK, one question, I need to make a spacer to align the disk with the caliper.  Should I space out the disk or space in the caliper?

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #38 - 04/28/08 at 03:08:41

Tough question.  

Spacing the caliper will keep braking pressure in line with wheel so that it won't pull as much.  

Spacing the disk would be stronger since it has more bolts.  Caliper has what.... two.... The spacers will give more leverage and can stress the bolts.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 04/28/08 at 08:50:28

And I'd rather make the wheel compatible with the savage rather than the savage compatible with the wheel.

Hey I get a new letter in my title, will it be LSX650, LX650, OR LS650X ?

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/28/08 at 19:43:14

verslagen1 wrote on 04/27/08 at 21:06:35:
OK, one question, I need to make a spacer to align the disk with the caliper.  Should I space out the disk or space in the caliper?

My observation. Look at how the rotor fits to the wheel. Do you notice there is a lip on the wheel which fits inside the rotor? If you do, that is what keeps the rotor centered on the wheel, and the bolts meerly hold the rotor to the wheel. If you were to space the rotor, and had nothing solid centering it, the bolts and/or spacers will not keep it there. I am thinking the only way to space the rotor would be to have a spacer made which accepts the protruding lip on the wheel and offers one on the rotor side. If you were to look at oversized rotor kits for bikes, you'll notice the kit comes with a new caliper mount to move the caliper farther from center to compensate for the larger o.d. rotor. I simply spaced the caliper, and it has worked fine on the Savage. I was concerned about the rotor not staying perfectly centered, coming loose from spacers, and ultimately causing failure and personal injury.  I'm thinking to space the caliper would be safer. Looking foward to seeing some pics.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 04/28/08 at 20:30:30

Grin  My rim has a really wide hub for the disk to sit on.  I can space the disk out 6mm and still have some left over.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 04/30/08 at 09:55:58

I put it together last night with 5/16" spacers and heard a little dragging.  So I'm going to get 1/4" spacers and see how that goes.

Rode it around for a little bit last night with the new tire.  New D404 felt great.  Did some hard braking and turns to knock the whiskers off.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 05/01/08 at 09:28:10

I put in the 1/4" spacers and the dragging went away.
It was dry today so I rode in to work, nice to ride a brand new well balanced tire.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #44 - 09/12/08 at 17:07:55

Onederer wrote on 03/15/08 at 11:23:21:
sluggo wrote on 03/15/08 at 10:56:06:
imho mags on a motorcycle are just wrong. mags along with windshields belong on a cage.  Cheesy

but i've always said.  'whatever floats your boat", if it works for you then hey go for it.  

Wish there were "mags", then they would be even lighter, but they're just cast aluminum. I like the nice color flames mags make when they're on fire, and how there is nothing anyone can do to put them out, just watch. I wonder how many VW Beetle's have actually had a leaking carb that caused those lovely mag cases to show their tru colors?

i always got the fire put out on my 68 before it got that far.

i did light up the heater system one night. smelled the fuel caught a spark a whoppp...  i put it out fast.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 17:18:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.