Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sweet spot (Read 595 times)
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Re: sweet spot
Reply #15 - 03/11/08 at 19:38:25

Around 60, although will run 70 with no problems between gas stops.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #16 - 03/11/08 at 21:13:12

between 60 and 70 (a little under or above 65) Untill I start decellerating then the cars and other bikes behind me start swerving out of the way thinking I'm blasting them with a fully automatic 12 gauge. But hopefully I can get that part taken care of on my next days off from work.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #17 - 03/12/08 at 04:41:18

60 feels good........1-2 mph in traffic doesn't feel too good.  But it all feels better than driving a car!

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #18 - 03/12/08 at 07:27:18

So far it looks like everyone runs the same speed as me. I just don't have the top end others have, even with all the mods and 17/43 chain drive. Maybe I have been riding FAST bikes to many years. I just like having the same acelleration from 60mph to 90, as I do from 0-60mph.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #19 - 03/12/08 at 07:52:56

On my way into work this morning, I cracked the throttle to see what it would do.  I went from 60 to 85 (indicated) in about 12 seconds.  It accelerated great to ~75 then creeped up to 85.  It was still accelerating when I backed off.

My bike has the stock drive, stock motor, factory wind screen, k&N cone filter, 55/152.5 jetting and the spacer mod.

Maybe its because I have the wind screen up front that it runs as well on the express way.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 03/12/08 at 08:13:04

65-70 indicated (actual speed is a bit faster with the slightly oversized rear tire) but she's still very smooth at 80 indicated.  For personal cruising comfort, my preference is about 60-65 indicated, though I get better mileage closer to 55.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 03/12/08 at 08:33:41

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/11/08 at 15:52:42:
60-65 is most comfortable for me.  Anything faster than 65 and my head starts bobbing in the wind.  Makes for a very sore neck in a very short time.

At 60, the engine is just purring and if you crack the throttle, has enough oomph left to get you up to 75 and around slower traffic in a hurry.
In Michigan they drive 65-70mph on the back roads, no kidding. 75mph on the Interstate gets you run over by semi's. That is why I ride a faster bike on the interstate. My Savage has no passing power at 75mph, even with the mods, and 17/43 chaindrive. Twist and wait is what I have at 75mph. It is great for back roads and 65-70mph. I prefer to run about 60mph and still have some power up to 75mph, then I have to lay on the tank to get up to 88mph.   Hutch

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #22 - 03/12/08 at 08:40:05

Hutch wrote on 03/12/08 at 08:33:41:
... My Savage has no passing power at 75mph, even with the mods, and 17/43 chaindrive. Twist and wait is what I have at 75mph. It is great for back roads and 65-70mph. I prefer to run about 60mph and still have some power up to 70mph.  Hutch

Hutch, when you say 75mph, do you mean INDICATED or ACTUAL?  I have the 17/43 chain setup and a digital speedometer on the front tire.  75 INDICATED (tank speedo) on my bike is 85 ACTUAL (digital speedo)...and about all she'll do for me too.  But that's more because of aerodynamics I think.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #23 - 03/12/08 at 09:59:32

Paladin. wrote on 03/11/08 at 19:03:08:
bill67 wrote on 03/11/08 at 13:31:20:
  At what speed is the motor smoothest for most people here or is there more than one speed.
I like the rumbly massage speed -- 35-40 mph in 5th gear.

35-40 in 5th? Really? Do you accelerate from that speed and gear or just cruise? I know my bike would cruise on a flat at that speed but as soon as I hit a hill I feel like I'm lugging the engine so I shift down. Accelerating it definitely feels like I'm lugging it (although it does accelerate some). I usually don't go below 45 in 5th.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #24 - 03/12/08 at 10:25:57

Quote:
In Michigan they drive 65-70mph on the back roads, no kidding. 75mph on the Interstate gets you run over by semi's. That is why I ride a faster bike on the interstate. My Savage has no passing power at 75mph, even with the mods, and 17/43 chaindrive. Twist and wait is what I have at 75mph. It is great for back roads and 65-70mph. I prefer to run about 60mph and still have some power up to 75mph, then I have to lay on the tank to get up to 88mph.   Hutch

Theres a reason I moved away from Michigan in the 90s...  People up there drive like idiots.

Around here, they drive like bats out of hell too.  I just don't care.  I pop myself in the far right lane, set my throttle lock at the posted speed limit and enjoy my ride.  I have no intention of riding at speeds that I wouldn't dream of driving in a car.  

As far as I'm concerned, let the idiots be idiots.  There is no reason to join them.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #25 - 03/12/08 at 11:20:45

Gary On A Savage wrote on 03/12/08 at 08:40:05:
Hutch wrote on 03/12/08 at 08:33:41:
... My Savage has no passing power at 75mph, even with the mods, and 17/43 chaindrive. Twist and wait is what I have at 75mph. It is great for back roads and 65-70mph. I prefer to run about 60mph and still have some power up to 70mph.  Hutch

Hutch, when you say 75mph, do you mean INDICATED or ACTUAL?  I have the 17/43 chain setup and a digital speedometer on the front tire.  75 INDICATED (tank speedo) on my bike is 85 ACTUAL (digital speedo)...and about all she'll do for me too.  But that's more because of aerodynamics I think.
I meant 75mph actual, 66 indicated by the speedo. When my  speedo says a hair over 75mph indicated I am actualy going 88mph laying on the tank after a looooong time of waiting.  It sounds like your bike falls pretty close to mine. That makes one more slow Savage. I am not a speed freak and don't like driving that fast, but when you drive 75mph and have nothing much left to pass with, or need a mile to do it, it aint fun, it is dangerous. That is why myS-40 stays on back roads or 2 lane state roads.                  
Skrapiron, you got more guts than I do. If I can't stay with the flow of traffic, I get the heck out of there before getting run over from behind or causing people to pile up behind me and swerve into the 75mph-80mph lane and cause an accident from someone doing 80 plus in that lane. I don't like people 3 feet off my back tire at 75mph.   Hutch

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #26 - 03/12/08 at 11:34:58

I can hit 85 with a windshield and saddlebags.  I can hit that at 1/2 throttle in 5th gear and there's no problem getting to 85.  But from there on, no matter how much throttle I give, she just won't respond.  That was on the I-5 on open freeway with a lot of wind and my weight of 190.  Also, I'm not happy with the carb jets.  Going to try that run again here in a few weeks after I get everything back together with the new fenders and jet changes.  Without saddlebags this time.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 03/12/08 at 11:43:36

Gary,
Check the carb posts in the tech section.
What I recall reading as far as WOT is concerned, is if you can back off from WOT and you get a better response then you should go up a size in the main jet.  I had that, went up in size with no change in mpg.  And the issue went away, but I still want to go up another size.

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #28 - 03/12/08 at 12:41:25

verslagen1 wrote on 03/12/08 at 11:43:36:
Gary,
What I recall reading as far as WOT is concerned, is if you can back off from WOT and you get a better response then you should go up a size in the main jet.  I had that, went up in size with no change in mpg.  And the issue went away, but I still want to go up another size.
Verslagen1, I tried what you said last fall. I went to a 155 main and stuck with the new 55 pilot.I have no flat spots when accellerating hard, and she hits 60mph actual, from a standing start, in a heartbeat. I went back down to a 152.5 main because with the larger one I was sooting up the rear brake arm and had no gain over the 152.5. My throttle slide is opening all the way,checked that, and she is done at 88 actual laying on the tank. From 75mph actual to 88actual is a loooong dragged out ordeal.  Maybe I am just spoiled from all the other bikes I have own, and own, that would/ will do 90+mph in 1/4 mile.The ones I still own are a 2000 Kawasaki W650(50hp), and the other a 1967Royal Enfield 750(60hp) and they only weigh 70lbs more pounds than the Savage.. Both are bone stock. Hutch

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #29 - 03/12/08 at 13:38:42

Hutch wrote on 03/12/08 at 12:41:25:
verslagen1 wrote on 03/12/08 at 11:43:36:
Gary,
Verslagen1, I tried what you said last fall. I went to a 155 main and stuck with the new 55 pilot.I have no flat spots when accellerating hard, and she hits 60mph actual, from a standing start, in a heartbeat. I went back down to a 152.5 main because with the larger one I was sooting up the rear brake arm and had no gain over the 152.5. My throttle slide is opening all the way,checked that, and she is done at 88 actual laying on the tank. From 75mph actual to 88actual is a loooong dragged out ordeal.  Maybe I am just spoiled from all the other bikes I have own, and own, that would/ will do 90+mph in 1/4 mile.The ones I still own are a 2000 Kawasaki W650(50hp), and the other a 1967Royal Enfield 750(60hp) and they only weigh 70lbs more pounds than the Savage.. Both are bone stock. Hutch

Ditto for me.  155/55 and sooting up the turnout pipe.  But plug looks ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sweet spot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!